Montana's car, it does move... Video proof from Spokane!!!! :)

Ham Sammich

I'm not gonna lie, we've had our ups and downs with this car (mostly downs).  Were still noobs to the series and endurance racing, but we make headway and learn new stuff all the time.  Someday, SOMEDAY, were gonna run this junk wire to wire.. (it could happen)  :)

We didn't want to put together one of those videos that only shows the cars you pass, we tried to include even amounts of passing and being passed, traffic, cautions, etc.  More of a "this is what it's about" kind of video.

You'll notice I'm pretty cautious in traffic, I think it pays off.  See a faster car?  Don't make him work for it, you risk your car as well.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdKsh_nL5Wg&feature

Your VTEC may not be working properly. 

Good eye, yea, It was intermittent, you know how it is with oil pressure and VTEC.  I think we've made changes that should help that. 

In drag racing I know that shifting is important but on the road course you may want to try both hands on the wheel a little more, especially in the corners ... ;)

I do try to keep both hands on there as much as possible.  Car steers well and is predictable, point taken though!  :)

Corners are overrated. I think he is doing good in the video. Everyone is so critical of others. 

I'd like to hope that we are, at the very least, "average",  I'd be happier with above average, but it takes time.  We'll get there.

It's funny skipping around the video and seeing how often his hand is on the shifter. Must be a Honda thing :ph34r:

heck... now I gotta go look myself.   ...lol... I feel like I put it there only when I'm gonna use it... I guess I'll have a peek and see!  :)

Cool observation, I just watched it again.  there is less of it at 3-5 minutes and you see more 2-handed toward the end of the video.  If I had to guess, it's perhaps unfamiliarity with the track, not 100% sure when and where to shift.  And as the video goes on, I get more familiar and there is less riding the shifter hand.  I know I prefer to be 2-handing it in traffic and that kind of shows up in the video.

Cool stuff. Also, as it was falling in and out of VTEC I wasn't sure where the best point to shift was, sometimes 4500 sometimes 6500.  Good observation on Salna's part though :)

Cool video, Bob. I kept looking for my car, and only caught about a two second glimpse of it.

Which one is it?  I know I intentionally put some footage of Superdaves truck on there for him.  If I have multiple clips to weed through, I gladly put in some stuff that shows other cars.  I know I always like to see it.  ALthough our car falls into the Bigfoot and UFO category... doesn't get seen on the track often...lol... :)

I wonder if he notices the flagging stations? (Drives 5 laps under black flag while waving at other drivers).

"if I notice?!"  you watched at 7:19 right?!

All that waving isn't going to stop any time soon.  I acknowledge each station twice when I first get in the car.  I'll wave every time the flags change, and I wave at the corner workers on the track, as much as possible, and try to hold eye contact as long as possible.  i want them to be and feel safe, and acknowledged they are there. I notice when they change where they are sitting, when they stand, whos wearing a hat, a pony tail,  etc.  Buddy, I look, those people are important!!!.  :)  Hell at 1:27 I was looking at the flag station and saw John near the wall, gave him a "tip of the hat". I only saw him because he was perfectly lined up with the flag station.

And waving dudes by and the courtesy wave,  that's also not gonna change any time soon  ;).  Waving a dude by, to me, is just good sense. It takes the pressure off, "does he see me, does he not?..."  Buddy, I see ya!!!!  I think it's responsible to also consider each pass as a potential to have YOUR car ruined by somebody else.  A wave by, appears to allow the pass to happen more on my terms.  That's just good planning in my book.  :)

That's the nature of the gopro's wide angle lenses, also hard to see all the other dudes waving first, courtesy waves or acknowledgements before a pass. I feel there's a great deal of courtesy out there.  and some asshattery... but largely, I think most folks are on the same page... save the car, have a good time, wave at your buddys when you pass them, HAHA!!! :)

You drop your hand to the shifter too often and it stays there too long. At one point you were passing two cars on the left in a turn and you were driving one handed.

So, either you were putting along or you believe your reaction time abilities are awesome. Focus on the steering wheel and the shift points will be second nature. You might actually be faster.

Again, waving is good.

• Like 1

Is it just me or at 1:45 is there a slightly-out-of-control Mazda that is on the verge of crashing into you as you are waving to him?

Captain Wankel... sup with that guy?  :P  He saw the Civic behind him... couldn't believe we were still running, and lost his mind... It's like seeing bigfoot!  :lol:

You drop your hand to the shifter too often and it stays there too long. At one point you were passing two cars on the left in a turn and you were driving one handed.

So, either you were putting along or you believe your reaction time abilities are awesome. Focus on the steering wheel and the shift points will be second nature. You might actually be faster.

Car is incredibly comfortable to drive, stable, tracks straight, turns easy, not edgey at all. I do run more 2-handed toward the end.  To guess as to why, I'm thinking I'm not quite sure of where and when to shift yet on that track. Toward the end, I know when I'm gonna bog it out in 3rd or reach for 2nd.  Point well taken though, I'll make an effort on that.  :)

Hint: does Frylock drive around with his hand on the shifter? ;)

Frylocks loose hand is covering both eyes to make it more of a challenge.    :lol:  We did talk about this today though, his car steers like a truck compared to ours.  We feel different tire widths and camber settings is the difference.  Also leverage, our wheel is as close to the driver as we could get it.  The car just drives nice, nothing out of the ordinary, no work, no drama, no twitch, no dart. pleasurable to drive. :)

• Like 1

"if I notice?!"  you watched at 7:19 right?!

All that waving isn't going to stop any time soon.  I acknowledge each station twice when I first get in the car.  I'll wave every time the flags change, and I wave at the corner workers on the track, as much as possible, and try to hold eye contact as long as possible.  i want them to be and feel safe, and acknowledged they are there. I notice when they change where they are sitting, when they stand, whos wearing a hat, a pony tail,  etc.  Buddy, I look, those people are important!!!.  :)  Hell at 1:27 I was looking at the flag station and saw John near the wall, gave him a "tip of the hat". I only saw him because he was perfectly lined up with the flag station.

And waving dudes by and the courtesy wave,  that's also not gonna change any time soon  ;).  Waving a dude by, to me, is just good sense. It takes the pressure off, "does he see me, does he not?..."  Buddy, I see ya!!!!  I think it's responsible to also consider each pass as a potential to have YOUR car ruined by somebody else.  A wave by, appears to allow the pass to happen more on my terms.  That's just good planning in my book.  :)

That's the nature of the gopro's wide angle lenses, also hard to see all the other dudes waving first, courtesy waves or acknowledgements before a pass. I feel there's a great deal of courtesy out there.  and some asshattery... but largely, I think most folks are on the same page... save the car, have a good time, wave at your buddys when you pass them, HAHA!!! :)

Wow!! I was only kidding. You take things so literally. I really don't care about your unorthodox driving style. I'll leave it up to the others to critique you on that. When I was a newb I actually ran for about six laps not noticing I was being black flagged for passing under yellow. I came into the pits and they chewed me up and down and let me complete my stint incident free. LOL!! I'm not going to rant and rave about it in a four paragraph rebuttal. Also, you should use more smiley faces on your posts. :D

Wow!! I was only kidding. You take things so literally. I really don't care about your unorthodox driving style. I'll leave it up to the others to critique you on that. When I was a newb I actually ran for about six laps not noticing I was being black flagged for passing under yellow. I came into the pits and they chewed me up and down and let me complete my stint incident free. LOL!! I'm not going to rant and rave about it in a four paragraph rebuttal. Also, you should use more smiley faces on your posts. :D

Context.. I don't know ya man.  how would I know you're kidding or referencing an inside joke about yourself?  You popped in amongst everybody else that were offering critiques and ideas with no smilies in your post, no joke references etc. I thought you were serious. :-)  and I gave you that respect. :)

It's all good.  I appreciate anybody taking the time to look and offer up ideas. A few mentioned more hand time on the wheel, Yep, that's a solid idea.  I felt your comment was off base and responded.  My apologies if your comment was a joke. :)

Don't know ya man. No smilies in your post. Thought you were serious. :-)

Its all good. I think for the most part people are trying to help. Don't let people get into your head and spin it around as a you against them situation. You don't always have to get the last word in. Sometimes its good to sit back and listen to what people have to say. Good or bad. I could play verbal Judo with you or anyone all day, but why? :ph34r:  These posts get taken on some wild rides and most of the time I just watch from the outside and leave it be.

Sometimes its good to sit back and listen to what people have to say. Good or bad. I could play verbal Judo with you or anyone all day, but why? :ph34r:  These posts get taken on some wild rides and most of the time I just watch from the outside and leave it be.

Not me, I'm a lover, not a fighter. I couldn't talk my way out of a wet paper bag.   Here's a fluffy kitten to prove my "milk toast" ways!!! :)

If you got something to make me a better, safer driver, I'm all ears. :)

Fluffy_Kitten_Desktop.jpg

Captain Wankel... sup with that guy?  :P  He saw the Civic behind him... couldn't believe we were still running, and lost his mind... It's like seeing bigfoot!  :lol:

Sup nothing, we are one of the other RX-7's running the number we were assigned in the permanent lottery, Herbie's number 53.

All that waving isn't going to stop any time soon.  I acknowledge each station twice when I first get in the car. . I notice when they change where they are sitting, when they stand, whos wearing a hat, a pony tail,  etc. :)

You would have done much better than me, went to a Lemons race at Reno/Fernley and apparently (I did NOT notice) they had some guest corner workers from the Mustang Ranch working TOPLESS while I was on track.  

They were not waving a flag, I didn't look at them past that.

Good vid.

The truck can get a little loose like that if you time it a bit wrong and it  comes up on boost before you are ready for it. But it is predictable and very catchable.  Thanks for the air-time.