ITM First Race - Texas Motor Speedway

cwemyss

We came out to a race in December to decide "hey, do we want to do this?"  As it turns out, YES, it just looks awesome.  So we bought a car... a thoroughly trashed-out, quarter-million-mile, 1993 BMW 325is.  We're a brand new team and this weekend is our first attempt at wheel-to-wheel racing.  It's also going to be the first time we've had the car on the track.  None of us has ever driven while wearing a fire suit before, and only two of our four drivers has more than one HPDE under our belts.  Sooo... it's going to be interesting.

It's been a crazy ride so far... four guys who had never really worked on cars, but we all figured "we've got the internet, this should be fine."  And then basically everything we touched led us to one more thing that had been abused, neglected, or otherwise destroyed by the previous owner(s).  And somewhere during the journey, one of the teammates moved to Colorado and another got a kid on the way.  We didn't make the June TWS race, because we just weren't making headway.  So, time to prioritize:  if it stops the car or keeps it pointed in the right direction, we fixed it up... lots of trips to Pick & Pull, lots of stock parts (or cheap Chinese OEM-equivalents).

The interior was a stinking, ragged, cigarette-festooned petri dish of god knows what... so we removed most of it

The power steering system was completely shot... so we rebuilt it

The leaking PS fluid had trashed most of the suspension bushings... so we rebuilt that.

Two of the shocks were purely decorative, and some meat-head (or maybe meth-head) had replaced the rear shocks with E46 M3 springs.... so we rebuilt all four corners, junkyard springs and cheapie shocks.

We didn't touch the motor, beyond a can of Restore and a couple replaced vacuum tubes.  We've got decent compression on 4 cylinders and that's more than a lot of cars can say... so what the heck, let's roll with it.  The engine is a task for this winter, and I hope ignoring it doesn't bite us this weekend.

A team name (Inappropriate Tools Motorsports), a roll cage, new wheels, safety gear, and some pretty snazzy windows... a never-ending list of "last couple things".... and we're in business.  We hope.

Tonight it's getting everything sorted out and making sure we're ready.  Tomorrow we rent a trailer and we'll be at the track at a hair before 2pm. 

I'm planning to post something here tomorrow night after Registration/Tech/etc, I'll possibly post something on Saturday night, and probably Sunday too.  We don't quite know what to expect, but we're looking forward to it.

Stop by and say hello... we're the #53 red BMW that's bringing up the rear.

post-3438-0-32303700-1380226322_thumb.jp

post-3438-0-62280700-1380226329_thumb.jp

• Like 1

OK.

Wow.

What an awesome weekend.

First of all, the 400+ hours we put into 'make it work right' before we tried to put the car on the track... it paid off.  No mechanical issues all weekend.  Everything we rebuilt worked as the Germans intended... power steering, clutch, suspension, brakes.  There was an awful lot of oil all over our engine compartment, which isn't generally a sign of robust health, but the damn thing worked for 14+ hours.  Even after we abandoned 'short shift for survival' sometime this morning, and started testing the redline.

19th of 39 yesterday, I think (or 18th of 38... adding one EC car to the mix confuses me!!!) with the 40 minute break for the monsoon.  10th-ish of 30ish today, proving that you can win a war of attrition by just surviving. 

Today I spent damn near 45 minutes staring at the back of the pace-truck, some sort of karmic payback for something I'm sure.  But I gotta say... the re-start was about the most exciting thing I've done in a car.  Hooooo  Leeeee   Craaaap that was awesome. 

I'll post more later, right now I'm pretty wiped out.

• Like 4

Thanks!  We are all engineers, which means we drastically over-think everything.  I was glad it paid off.  :-)

We also had a chance to go to two other races in the past year, both events at TWS.  The time we spent hanging out in Nismorons pit last December was a huuuuge help, probably much more than they realize, and is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!  We are all engineers, which means we drastically over-think everything.  I was glad it paid off.  :-)

We also had a chance to go to two other races in the past year, both events at TWS.  The time we spent hanging out in Nismorons pit last December was a huuuuge help, probably much more than they realize, and is greatly appreciated.

Chad:

Congrats on the top 10 finish.  That's the way to debut a new team.  And we're always happy to help; the more teams on the track, the more fun the race.