Sebring race thread

TAJracing45

Well all I know as I was photograhing at Lime Rock Park.

John Allen Special made it up to 12th. Pitted. Our second driver was pushed off track. Got onto a curb. Small crack in oil pan. Fixed that with JB Weld. Shifter started to cause some issues. Fixed that. Made it further and about an hour ago we spun a bearing so we blew up.

Want to commend my team on a huge multi-hour fix that apparently is quite rigged together from what I can gather. On to AMP!

Heard about the on track incident. Glad everyone is OK. Really great to hear that.

• Members

Well all I know as I was photograhing at Lime Rock Park.

John Allen Special made it up to 12th. Pitted. Our second driver was pushed off track. Got onto a curb. Small crack in oil pan. Fixed that with JB Weld. Shifter started to cause some issues. Fixed that. Made it further and about an hour ago we spun a bearing so we blew up.

Want to commend my team on a huge multi-hour fix that apparently is quite rigged together from what I can gather. On to AMP!

Heard about the on track incident. Glad everyone is OK. Really great to hear that.

I want to give a BIG shout out to the guys over at Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza Racing.  Our driver came into the pits complaining about the shifter feeling really sloppy after being forced over the curbs.  When he pulled in the pits we discovered a busted oil pan and a broken shift lever arm.  A trip to the parts store resulted in some JB weld, but that wouldn't hold the shift linkage together.  The boys at Anthony's had a spare and wouldnt let us pay for it.  Huge kudos from one E30 team to another.  

• Like 3

Whoo !     Figure it out !      :D

And would have loved to see Sebring race reports, it all a bit gray after the fact and the storys from the track are always interesting. I've been spoiled !

And as for Kevin they lost second place to Team Infiniti by the width of your computer screen.

Fun day, scary backstraight crash, so glad everyone is going to be OK, and for once the rain was our friend.

That's all I got too. My adrenaline has left the building and I'm going to bed.

• Like 4

Firstly, we would like to wish the sore but otherwise ok beetle driver our best, I was one of the first cars to drive through the already completed shunt and was a little more then worried.

One of the most exciting (stressful for us) finishes in a Chumpcar race! Somebody else elaborate, I'm going to sleep, lol.

Home, sore and too tired to type or wrap my head around how everything panned out,I will try..

In general the team was having a *mostly* trouble free race, only 1 black flag, a couple of minor offs, no contact worth mentioning, waffling from 5th to 12th most of the day we started to realize the podium was almost within reach, 3 hours to go, here is the rain... I was in the car during the checker flag stint, quite a pleasant surprise being part of day end antics, dark, wet, slick track, minding my own business trying to not wad up the car, briskly working through traffic for 1+ hour, bumper to bumper with the red Nissan #16(7th place?) chasing down the GT30 (thinking I was working from 4th trying for 3rd place) all the while on the radio counting off our gap and closing distance when suddenly I am informed "Checker" ugh turn 17 is next, out of time, looks like a nice 4th place as the 66 is nowhere in sight, wait whats that, one more car as I round the last corner with a ton of sloppy momentum, its a the  240sx, zoom I pass and cross the finish line literally 1/4 second ahead of him, apparently in haste/focus I didn't notice the GT30 had moved up to P1 and I just whizzed by 2nd place taking position for a photo finish just seconds behind the now winning GT30, had no clue  :blink:

Bet it looked almost as exciting on race monitor, (wake time edit)*apparently the red nissan was driving for his life and position, hooking up with him resulted in incredible wet lap times for us, we were both driving our asses off*

1x on race report spoilage.

Spell check just overheated my computer, cant keep eyes open..nite.

Hats off to everyone out there, it was a incredibly tight race all day, apologizes to anyone that got got buzzed by in the rain but I was literally driving for the win from fourth place in my last stint.

• Like 6

OK, I am a little more awake than last night. The Z broke the 3-4 selector fork just over an hour into the race. And for the comment above, no we do not bounce off of all the cars on track. We race hard and out brake a lot of people...but that is racing.

Onto the 240: coming into the race we really had no idea what to expect. The car has had a minor issue at every event that we had run it at. Just 3 weeks ago we tested at Sebring and had the oil filter shake loose (dumped lots of oil from 17 entry down pit road through the paddock and oil pressure went to zero at our pad do k spot), airflow sensor plug came loose and car went to running like poo, and some other little issues that would have been big issues in an endurance race.

Anyways, the race starts and we have a rental driver in the car who is a local with probably 5000 laps at Sebring, in quicker cars. Towards the end of his stint, he is in the Top 10 and we are pretty excited, but kinda expecting an issue. At 10:55, he radios "PITTING! PITTING! PITTING!" We were going to go to 11:08 since the race started at 9:10, but the car dual starved in the middle of 17 and basically shut off so he came in thinking that the car was out of gas. It would have recovered on the corner exit as it only took 15 gallons to top the car off, but we did not know how the car would react so it was a learning experience for us.

Next driver in was a Spec Miata racer and he flat killed it. Aggressive but safe passes, great lap times for the car (2:42s) and he worked into the lead by the end of his stint. We were watching other teams to try and gauge who was able to run 2 hours on fuel and if the cars that could not go 2 hours would be able to make up an extra pit stop she to quicker laps times. SRI and TLM bimmers were going to be in the podium if they survive without a problem.

Next driver in was Bryn, who was a little nervous as there was some pressure developing to keep the car near the front. She went out in the lead, had a spin in 15 to avoid close quarters with another car. Can.e back on track in second and maintained that until the TLM pitted. Shortly after regaining the lead, a FCY came out. During this FCY, things got interesting. We watched SRI pass 5 cars 2 laps I to the FCY. They were 3 cars behind us on lap two of the FCY, next time by they were 2 cars ahead of us. Hhhmmm, OK, they should get busted for that we thought. I don't know a out you guys, but from pit road, the FCY situations were hard to keep track of from the pit box. The lack of a flag man in the flag stand was something that I talked with Mike about later. Somehow in the FCY we got black flagged for passing under yellow, but SRI didn't......bummed about that, onto chat with Mike. We fall to 7th or 8th I think by the end if the stint after the black flag. Bryn gets out , happy about her performance, not happy about the black flag because she was being cautious to watch flag stations to avoid passing under yellow. The camera died just before the caution so we do not any evidence to say yay or nay on if we really passed under yellow.

Next driver in comes out with Infinity and has a good race for quite a few laps. He had never raced at Sebring before so it took him a little while to start paying attention to shift points and other little things. Once he settled in, and stopped shifting by ear, he picked up pace and drove up to 4th I believe before the Red Flag came out. SRI had a wheel fall off (racing "car"ma for not getting the black flag from earlier? Just kidding).

First driver back in again and he really stepped it up. We pitted right after the Red, and thought that we made a better decision than Jacky Ixcks because the pace laps behind the truck were pretty slow so we thought thaf we would gain on them when they pitted under green. They caught a caution when they pitted so we did not gain as muc h on them as we had hoped, then we noticed their lap times. They must have put their least experienced driver in and we bad one of our best in and we reeled them in from over a minute gap. Our driver ran our FTD, a 2:41.2. During this stint, a driver in front of us received a black flag in 15 and basically STOPPED in the middle of the track! We had a panic stop situation and flat spotted the right front.

Spec Miata driver goes back in and we forget to check the RF. He radios that the RF is "square" and we hope that it will make it for the rest of the stint..........it doesn't. Swapped the RF in 40 second and sent him back out in second. He reeled Jacky Ixcks and retook the lead. Then the rains came and we start to worry. We make our last pit, have a lead of almost 2 minutes, or 2/3 of a lap in the wet.

David goes in the car last and we watch the gap start to fall. In heavy wet conditions, the top 3 were running pretty similar lap times. As the rank slowed, Jacky Ixcks and Infinity start reeling us in....BIG TIME! We keep doing the math and need to stay within 4 seconds per lap of them to maintain the lead until the end. We were not able to maintain that gap. Jacky got us with about 10 minutes left, and Infinity caught us on the last corner of the last lap to take second by .288 seconds.

Big congrats to everyone who finished, even bigger to Jacky and Infinity for whoopin' us. Glad to hear the drivers involved with the wreck are OK. I just hope that those in charge can see that the current rules are close and that a major rule change going into next year would be pretty silly. Had our Z not failed, we think that it would have been close to the podium after we made up our MOV, but the cautions, Red Flag and rain would have made it really tough and we would have needed to be 11/10 the entire race.

Oh, and to add a little more drama to last night: with about 3 hours to go I get a call from my wife saying that my oldest daughter (2yrs old) fell and smacked her head pretty bad. After initially deciding to wait it out, she started throwing up so off to the ER they went. About 30 minutes before the end of the race, I received word that the CT scan came back normal. As you might imagine, I was pretty stressed out waiting for those results, plus the added stress of the race winding down and seeing our lead slip away.

Thankfully my daughter still seems OK today and I cannot wait to get back home to see them when I get home!

The most interesting race I have been in.  In the first hour we got tapped and spun in the wall.  Damaged to both ends of the car; when the driver brought it in he radioed "We are going to need a big hammer"!  When I saw the front rolling down pit lane I thought "That doesn't look to bad"; then I saw the rear...  Thought we were done.

Inspecting the car the only problems were that the water overflow tank ruptured (who needs that anyway) and the exhaust was dragging.  We tied it up and took it out.  I don't know what our position was at that point but it had to be near the bottom.  We just stayed focused and pushed all day.  Crawled our way back to 18th overall and won the "Rocky" award!!  That almost makes up for the totaled car!  :)

Here's the aftermath!

post-4817-0-61172600-1380478508_thumb.jppost-4817-0-23979300-1380478511_thumb.jp

• Like 1

1117615.jpg

Well, we made it home safely. I'd like to report that my Driver/Brother-in-Law, Duane was released last night from the hospital and has checked out fine. While being attended to, he told the Paramedics,"Don't you cut up my drivers suit!" and reminded the hospital staff to do the same. He is pretty sore today.

We unfortunately didn't get to speak to the #95 Malibu team to find out why they were slowed on the track. My VW was behind a BMW as they closed in on the Chevy. The BMW reacted quickly and swerved to miss the Chevy while Duane wasn't able to, and hadn't braked either. He was then T-Boned by the Miata which finished off my Bug. We are sincerely grateful to all the rapid response by all those that came to the rescue, and all the positive comments and well wishers from everyone we spoke to. I didn't realize how much our junk Bug seemed to be liked by a number of racers and spectators. The car is Destroyed. It got his so hard, it knocked the motor out of it!

I'll be saving what I can to hopefully build another one. We enjoy running Chumpcar Far too much to quit. I will be volunteering at future races if I can' t get a new ride built in time. I honestly drove the most Fun Stint I've Ever had starting the race. I had a great time swapping positions with the Turquois Miata,for what seemed like 10 laps.

I would like to know Why the Black #213 (I believe) BMW felt the need to T-Bone me in the Right side door while I had the line in Turn 16. Definite AssHat, Foolish driving at it's finest. I discussed it with the Miata driver who had a perfectly clear view of the incident, and agreed with me. I fail to see WHY a few of the faster cars feel the need to Mow others out of their way, when they could have shown some patience, wait about 2 seconds, and execute a CLEAN pass on the upcoming straight? Seems pretty simple to me. I think addition turn workers with Black flags might help curtail some of this Dumbass driving.

Oh well, regardless of the outcome we had- I realize that's what can happen while racing. We still had a great time at our favorite track, and The Best part was that Duane came out of the wreck O.K.

Congrats to the podium finishers. Awesome finish.

1117626.jpg

• Like 4

Yeesh j just read my post. Sorry for the spelling errors. I am posting from my phone and it was thought to.look back to check for spelling errors so I just ran with it, lol.

JBBugs, we like the bug racers. So cool to see all of the different stuff on track turning respectable lap times and it cannot be easy to get a Bug to run quick laps. If you need help caging a new car, let me know and we can work out a deal.

• Like 1

First echoing what others have said glad the bug driver is ok. Our driver out at the time had a good view of the start of that said it looked nasty. As far as the race none of us had ever seen Sebring other than on a youtube video so we had a steep learning curve. Overall we had a blast other than the miata nailing us in the rear at 7. Their guy came to check on us during the red flag said the brakes failed which we appreciated. Lost the tail pipe/muffler about 10 hrs in so was cooking the trans/diff until the rain came. Finished 26th so we were pleased considering the lack of power and lack of experience at this track. Hope to make it again next year.

Glad everyone was ok after the scary incident.

We were having an OK day minding our own business, our 3rd driver messed up and got over aggressive in 16 and nosed it into the wall - our first real incident in 3 years of crapcan. He owned up to it that he screwed up. No biggie, car was mildly wounded but it was essentially fine to keep on trucking with some duct tape, zippy ties and a little BFH'ing. That seriously hurt an effort for a top 10 day.

Our 4th driver, Joe, was involved in the red-flag mess coming off of 16 (what the heck is up with T-16????). For his piece of mind if anyone has video leading up to that we would love to see what happened. As best as he could describe it, Joe was low to mid track coming out of 16 and another car (we are thinking the black BMW?) came across from the left side and TKO'd us in the LR wheel & wheel well area. From the angle he came from, Joe has no idea how he got there so we are assuming that he was in the process of spinning out and collected us but we do not know if they had help in spinning out or what...... We changed the LR tire and I hopped in the car and the axle tube was way too tweaked and the rear was driving all over the place so we were done.

All in all we had fun - no mechanical issues, no electrical issues, kept oil inside the motor... Car was capable of running decent lap times, I was in the 40's no problem with a best of 2:43.9.    So instead of mechanical issues we just ended up beating the tar out of it  :P