Pittsburgh race thread

Evilwheel

MR2 Biohazard with Anna Barton on board (first win with a female driver on the team??  perhaps) - Toyota MR2

Drunken Squirrel Racing - Car type unknown but they finished 1.4 seconds behind the leader

TFE Racing - White E36

Drunken squirrel racing is the artist formerly known as Tiger's Wood PGA Racing with the same old rusty Cougar, just a new name.

• Like 2

max started at the back of the pack but i was able to work my way up to 4th before handing it over to my rental driver, unfortunately he was involved in an incident that took us out of contention.  fortunately we were able to jeri-rig a fix and get back on track for the last two hours.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvD7urQwedg

Joined Team Phoenix today to improve on my Chump experiences. It worked! While being slow, we managed to get the car back together after some minor issues with a misfiring engine and a brake pedal that went to the floor. Got it back out with a little bit of time left, and the guys were kind enough to let me try to nurse it around the track to get to see the checkered flag for the very first time. It worked - WOOHOOO!

I got some great practice in waving people by :P

For tomorrow, watch out - the SHAD is well positioned to improve our results from today!

• Like 3

• Technical Advisory Committee

I'd like to see that accident from the other car. With that said it seems clear from this perspective that you got dive bombed.

A dive bomb is a "racing move" ..... just a shitty one. What the guy did on that video is not racing, its just pure BS.

• Like 2

I'd like to see that accident from the other car. With that said it seems clear from this perspective that you got dive bombed.

max started at the back of the pack but i was able to work my way up to 4th before handing it over to my rental driver, unfortunately he was involved in an incident that took us out of contention.  fortunately we were able to jeri-rig a fix and get back on track for the last two hours.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvD7urQwedg

I'd say that is beyond a dive-bomb, and was definitely the fault of the passing driver, lead car had that line, the passing car didn't even come close to coming up beside the lead car before he turned in, not sure what the passing car was thinking. If they had been side by side and the car had turned in that would be another story, but you can tell from the imapct that wasn't the case.

That happened to us in the exact same corner at BeaverRun in 2011, we essentially got t-boned as we were hit behind the passenger side door (just missed the rear wheel). NIce work getting it fixed up and out on track.

Team Phoenix got yet another chequered flag, this time I think in 25th? We nursed a slipping clutch for most of the day, so perfectly timed that the Shad could not move up the little incline from pit lane to the paddock under own power! That is one well spent clutch disc :-)

To my fellow racers who were actually fighting for positions I just hope I wasn't in the way too bad?

Very nice and clean race during my two stints, no one was doing any scary stuff to get past us back markers so a big thanks to all for that!

See y'all next season!

• Like 1

I apparently forgot all about the forum while we were there.  I could write a book but here is a short version:

Pitt Race is a nice facility

The weather was great

The competition here was stiff - on Saturday we ran great for six hours and were 12th at the time. 

We are still a young team as we were way under-prepared for the consumption of brake pads

On Friday in practice we broke the pass side outer CV and we replaced the LR hub that was failing

On Saturday we cooked the brake pads and destroyed a caliper

On Sunday we lost the water pump and cooked the brakes again - this time we caught it in time and switched pads.  We also have an undetermined problem with an apparent radiator water leak that showed up after the race

Both days we all got to race and we were running at the checkered flag. 

On Saturday we finished ahead of Will Race for Beer and on Sunday we finished ahead of Biohazard.  Our car is not faster we just made more laps.  Congrats to those guys for winning on the other days and to Drunken Squirrel and TFE for their podium finishes.   

To whoever was in the Shad: by the time you pointed for me to pass right I had already decided to go left (after turn 8). 

To car 149:  Sorry guys you broke right in front of me at Nelson and twice this weekend you broke right in front of me.  I must have some bad voodoo or something

I had good conversations with a lot of fellow Chumps

• Like 2

sun was another wet start like sat, this time i knew the track and was able to work up to p1 by the end of my first stint.  unfortunately, we were again hit from behind during the second stint, this time it caused the car to go off track and nose first into a barrier.  more damage but not fatal, we lost about ten min getting back on track.  still managed to finish 9th, not bad considering we were nowhere near the pace of the front runners (at least in the dry).

Wanna say thanks to all corner workers, competitors and race organizers. This was one of the funnest weekends I have ever had racing topped off by two third place finishes. We were looking good for P2 on Sunday but during the last stint I started dealing with fuel starving in the corners with about 5 laps to go.  I knew I still had to push because the Drunken Squirrel Cougar was laying down some hot laps and creeping up on us.  With 2 laps to go they made the pass and I didn't have the fuel to take back the position.  

I had a lot of awesome battles this weekend with MR2 Biohazard, The E30 of Schumaker Taxi Service, and many others. Thanks for everyone racing us clean and for not being too hard to get by in the closing laps of each day. 

Fun Fact:  This is the 5th 3rd place finish in a row out of the last 6 checker flags for this car.  Always the bridesmaid never the bride....or something like that.  

See you all soon!

• Like 1

Great track, facilities, Chumpstaff and competitors.  We had never ventured to Pittsburgh to race before, but we're glad we did this time.  There were some mistakes made by everyone including us, but the race was generally very cleanly run, tough competition but good driving.  I only have a running complaint about one particular team but I won't air it here. 

I love this track because I was able to get to a 1:11.8 in the e30 on Saturday, and a 1:11.9 in the Miata on Sunday!  :)   The Miata was a lot more fun to me, going through the slow complex like a bat outa hell, matting the Miata in 5 and not lifting until the hairpin was exiliarating!  Too bad we lost all the fluid out of the tranny in the Miata with 90 minutes left on Sunday, we had a chance at a podium or top 5.  But poop happens.   

Thanks to Mike and his Chumpstaff for putting on a great race.