Mosport race thread

Morning chumps!

Beautiful canadian morning here in bowmanville, Ontario. 40 racers are lining up for the legendary CTMP(mosport) track. Drivers in the cars, and now circulating for 4 cautionary laps. Sal the north region director wants all the chumps to get very familiar with the track, as this one will bite you if not respected.

• Like 1

Johnda Deere was nice enough to let me rent a stint on Saturday afternoon and I had a blast.  This course is completely unlike anything else I've driven with the elevation changes and blind corners.  Not a terribly civic-friendly course, but the data says I have 5 seconds to (re)gain on the other Johnda drivers before it'd be worth upgrading to a fundamentally speedier car.  I hope no-one had any issues with Johnda between 2:20 and 4pm on Saturday, as I was trying to be very courteous to cars passing me, which was just about everybody

I did take a bunch of (what I thought were) spiffy photos.  If you were running on Sunday morning, I probably got you with my DSLR.  Message or reply for a full-res image.

Examples:

DSC04801.jpg

DSC04800.jpg

• Like 2

wow what a track. no...... WOW WHAT A TRACK I really don't know where to begin except Sal WendyRuby Chuck Laura... you guys rock and I love you something awful. You made me feel at home more than when I'm at home and to every other one of you Canadians this weekend that shows such wonderful hospitality thank you.

Now back to the track. Did I mention wow what a track?

Fast, wonderful, fast, fast! I am so bringing a v8 back here. Which to my dismay there were none here this weekend other than Sals yellow raped ape. The compression at the bottom of the hill after turn two setting up for turn 3..... you could really screw up here bad.

And 5b.... No words you just have to experience it. This track has the same spirit as the Glen, Road America and any of the others built in the 60's With true road racing in mind. Horse power here is king.... until it rains. Let's just say Sunday in the rain, civics rule.

And a Dodge Neon and Chevrolet Cavalier Didn't do too bad either, right Steve?

Yanks.... You have got to pull a cross the border next year and run this track and the others you will not regret it.

• Like 4

I got home about 1:15am Central time after a 12 hour trip from Mosport.  What a weekend.  I was running with the #230 Racers without Borders in their BMW E30 with my friend Richard S and two new friends Ted and Richard L.  First off, a huge thanks to Sal, Wendy, Ruby, Kent, Chuck and Laura for pulling off a first class event, the racing and the BBQ Saturday night was spectacular.  I spend the week prior to the race fixing the head on the motor which had a cracked rocker arm from the Calabogie race.  And when I say fixing, I was mostly handing tools to Richard S while he did the majority of the work.  In typical Chump fashion we got the motor back together and running Thursday evening. 

We had a trying weekend mechanically as one of the rocker arms we replaced broke 2 hours into the 7 hour race on Saturday.  We were able to complete the race Saturday running on 5 cylinders and even with a few extra pit stops to add coolant we finished 11th of 40 starters.  Over night Richard S. worked until 3 am to fix the broken rocker arm and the car was running perfectly on Sunday, however the same cooling issues that plagued us on Saturday ended our race on Sunday.  I drove the first hour and then the engine lost power with a toasted head gasket. 

This was my first time at Mosport and once I figured the place out I had a blast.  That track isn't for the faint of heart as it takes "large attachments" in a few of the corners to keep your foot in it.   It is very much worth a trip north of the border to race there.  The track somewhat reminds me of Road Atlanta. 

I have some good (and exciting) video from our one hour on track Sunday in the rain.  It shows some good multi-lap battles with Red/Green racing E36 and the Canadian Tire E30.  I will do some minor editing and try to get the video posted before I leave for the Chumpionship at Road America on Friday. 

• Like 2

This was my first ChumpCar event. So far I've only done time attack events. My only advantage is that Mosport is my home track. What a great event. I was in the "No Budget Racing" 998 Miata. Unfortunately, we ended in the wall Sunday afternoon - cutting short a great weekend.

Guest Danimal

Wow! What a weekend..... Thanks to all chumpcar staff, and all the teams that made it out this weekend!!

This track scared the pants off me on Saturday on dry pavement let alone when I did a 360 down corner 2 on my first lap out Sunday!!!

Thanks to bucksnort for making it across to a Canadian race, hope we see you again up here next year. Oh, and bring some of your US buddies. :)

All and all, great fun, great teams, and again, another awesome chump experience. Can't wait for next year folks!!

I wanted to say thanks to everybody for a great weekend at MoSport including the ChumpCar staff, all of the volunteers, corner workers, all the teams, Street Rate Parts for BBQ and everybody else that was able to join this fantastic event. We all made it back to merica without any issues and kept talking about the race all the way back. We had a go run race Saturday finishing in 2nd behind the Mopar boys (congrats again guys and to GreenSpeed on Sunday) and then ran into some troubles on Sunday after one of our drivers got loose out of 10 and hit the wall bending two rims in the process. Our driver was OK and we were able to get back out there to finish the race.

Track - the track was awesome! It reminded me of a combination of Road America and Watkins Glen, but with it's own unique characteristic from the blind off camber corners. It was a very fast, flowing track that was a fantastic track to drive on and with the additional paved run offs in T2, it seemed safe to drive. We heard it has greatly improved after talking with some old timers that said the run offs were just grass before...wow!

Crossing the border = super easy. They didn't even open our trailer or check the back of our truck. We had printed the supp rules, had log book ready, made a manifest of the trailer, printed confirmation of the hotel but they did not ask for any of that and just let us through to invade Canada eh!  I thought we'd have some problems, but we had zero issues.

That was the last race for BuckSnort Racing but we'll see you guys in 2014!!!

Also - Mopar, here is some more 100% true fact from the internet of the story from the bar on Friday night: 

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hoser

Edit: Thanks to Street Rate Parts for the BBQ

• Like 3

Starting to go through my videos.

Me making an ill-advised pass attempt while I was still learning the track.  After this brainfart, #230 and I had an awesome 45 minute battle where we swapped spots (in a much cleaner fashion than this) 4-5 times.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjV1h90lC6M

• Like 1