Chumpionship on Patriot

HPDdriver

I'll tell ya what, the last three races we've entered have been plagued by a black cloud.

Charlotte Round 1 - Fail; triple booked.

Charlotte Round 2 - Fail; Holiday lights drive-through on the infield

VIR North - Fail; repaving and pushed to Patriot. :(

I'm just spit balling ideas here.  I can't picture 50 Chumps running this course, fighting for maybe 2 passing zones;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78UNZF83RYA

Instead of 930+ laps over two days on Patriot, how about a single day to get it over with.  8hrs, one day, much reduced pricing, and we can spare some brakes and tires?  Any takers?  Any other suggestions?

Mike, I'm sure you're pulling you're hair out by now. :wacko:

• Like 1

I'll tell ya what, the last three races we've entered have been plagued by a black cloud.

Charlotte Round 1 - Fail; triple booked.

Charlotte Round 2 - Fail; Holiday lights drive-through on the infield

VIR North - Fail; repaving and pushed to Patriot. :(

I'm just spit balling ideas here.  I can't picture 50 Chumps running this course, fighting for maybe 2 passing zones;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78UNZF83RYA

Instead of 930+ laps over two days on Patriot, how about a single day to get it over with.  8hrs, one day, much reduced pricing, and we can spare some brakes and tires?  Any takers?  Any other suggestions?

Mike, I'm sure you're pulling you're hair out by now. :wacko:

Patriot Course? That paddock barely supported 25 bikes at the last track day I did there. It's fun to drive but I'm not sure about a 14 hour race.

I don't know if I can drive for more than 30 minutes at a time on this configuration.  Very disappointed to hear this- I understand that for the betterment of VIR this has to happen, but still bummed out.

We may bail on this race- need to discuss with the rest of the team. 

Patriot Course? That paddock barely supported 25 bikes at the last track day I did there. It's fun to drive but I'm not sure about a 14 hour race.

OK, saw the alternate pit layout. I'm sorry, I just don't have a warm and fuzzy about this race. Isn't there another track we could rent out? 

[...]

Yeah - how about you stop entering events, as that seems to be the common thread here? >:)

What, haven't ya heard ????. We'll be using the gokart track at AMP coming up , next year the infield only at Daytona, setting up a course with cones in the parking lot for Sebring, etc, etc, etc.......

What the hell ??? If I had planned on going to this event I would be super pissed, so I'm only just pissed to hear this news ! :blink: I just don't understand.......................

Yeah - how about you stop entering events, as that seems to be the common thread here? > :)

I can't help to feel if you owned a car that you had spent countless hours and thousands of dollars building you would have a different opinion.

I feel bad for ChumpCar this puts them in a tough situation.

I don't know if I can drive for more than 30 minutes at a time on this configuration.  Very disappointed to hear this- I understand that for the betterment of VIR this has to happen, but still bummed out.

We may bail on this race- need to discuss with the rest of the team. 

10 hours on VIR South cooked our brakes.  I couldn't imagine trying to do 16 hours on Patriot without some major behind the wall time.  I've only driven Patriot one time a LOONG time ago, it would seem to me the only real passing zones would be just before and just after the chute.  You'd really have to be pushing to make it after the mini-esses going up the hill.

We are not retiring this car due to the new rules.  I couldn't imagine we'd come out of this race without some serious battle scars.  Although we've already registered, our team will be deliberating whether we still plan to attend this one over the next couple of weeks or so.

Mike seems to be doing his best to make lemonade out of these Lemons and that is commendable.  The short term sucks, but Chumps longstanding relationship with VIR is more important.  We went there 3 2 times this year.  This is our home track, and we'd love to see as many races there each year as possible.  I'm sure hoping we have another early season race there next year, and it is on FULL :D.

-Chris

The good news is, that if enough of us keep b!tch!ng, they'll just go ahead and just cancel the event altogether.  Then we'll all have that weekend free for one of the 500 other track events... on the east coast... in December.  (sarcasm) 

Is it going to be perfect, no.  Am I confident that Mike and the gang will put on a good event, yes.  

Just my .02c

• Like 1

There's no question that ChumpCar will put on the best event they can given the circumstances.  It's the circumstances that bite the big one.  I would be fine with the event being cancelled and the money being applied to another event, or a different track (within maybe 5-6 hour pull) being lined-up for the championship.  But that's probably out of the question at this time of the year.  We were looking forward to one more race with our car before we will make the wholesale changes to get ready for the new rule set.  Fingers crossed in hopes that something better happens. 

Why not south course?

What Chip said.  The south course isn't great, but its better than Patriot.  Maybe Summit point?  Prolly too late and too cold. 

All that being said, the Patriot course would fit the miata to a T.  hmmmm

• Like 1