Congrats BioHazard MR2

CutlassRacer

Since nobody else has started a specific thread for them yet (that I have seen), here we go!

Congrats to Troy, Kevin, Tommy, Rick, James and Joey on their Road Atlanta 2014 win. When we saw them have an issue early in the first stint, we thought that they were out of contention. Their strategy to get back to the front was perfect and racing luck allowed them to have a full course caution fall within every one of their pit windows. Anybody who wants to complain about them winning and say that it is the car only needs to check the facts on this one because they were not the fastest, but managed to pull off the win.

Congrats guys, hope we can keep it a little tighter at the next one!

• Like 3

• Administrators

What was the strategy we keep hearing about?

Bill would flip a switch on the dash of the yellow MR2, and parts would "suddenly" break. Thus causing full course yellows. 

I learnedid that one from NASCAR.

• Like 2

• Race Control

What was the strategy we keep hearing about?

I'm not so sure he was the only one on this strategy, but the leaders usually are.  We see a bigger picture from the tower (albeit not as big as I'd like), and I notice the teams on a fluid strategy.  The king of this, in my opinion, is Rusty (mercedesracer).  You formulate a plan before the race which factors in race length, fuel consumption, driver pool, etc.  Then when the first caution or red flag comes out, you re-write your strategy.  Again.  And again.  And again.  Every notice the large surge of cars at pit in during a full course caution?  Usually top 10 teams.  You have to adapt to problems, embrace opportunities and sometimes even shortchange driver stints for the goal of the W sometimes.  Every one of the top 10 teams at Road Atlanta last weekend knows this and I watch them put it into action to varying levels during any race weekend.

• Like 2

Sounds like an in car radio is a must have. I thought this was supposed to be cheap racing?

Cheap to race, expensive to win. You can get setup to do pit to driver radio communications for $200-300 or less if you are a crafty/thrifty Chump.

Sounds like an in car radio is a must have. I thought this was supposed to be cheap racing?

Cheaper than other forms of racing but more expensive than going to the movies, playing checkers, etc.

Many teams just use a pit board to signal their car.  It works but doesn't allow two way communication.  

Radios provide that communication.  There are cheap setups and expensive ones.  We found a middle of the road set on ebay for less than half the new price and will be using it for our 4th year.  In terms of cost, we paid $400 for ours divided by 4 drivers equals $100 each.  Pretty cheap.  

If you are shouldering all the costs of the build, safety, personal safety equipment, tow rig and trailer then it's not cheap.  The beauty of this racing is that it's a team sport. Teams that have folks that each bring something to the table (like we used a guy's work trailer for three years) can greatly reduce the costs.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure he was the only one on this strategy, but the leaders usually are.  We see a bigger picture from the tower (albeit not as big as I'd like), and I notice the teams on a fluid strategy.  The king of this, in my opinion, is Rusty (mercedesracer).  You formulate a plan before the race which factors in race length, fuel consumption, driver pool, etc.  Then when the first caution or red flag comes out, you re-write your strategy.  Again.  And again.  And again.  Every notice the large surge of cars at pit in during a full course caution?  Usually top 10 teams.  You have to adapt to problems, embrace opportunities and sometimes even shortchange driver stints for the goal of the W sometimes.  Every one of the top 10 teams at Road Atlanta last weekend knows this and I watch them put it into action to varying levels during any race weekend.

Yup. We are getting there and as a team as our driver's improve, car improves and pit stops improve it's fun to be on the team. We have our team manager always watching the glock and the flags.

Cheaper than other forms of racing but more expensive than going to the movies, playing checkers, etc.

Many teams just use a pit board to signal their car.  It works but doesn't allow two way communication.  

Radios provide that communication.  There are cheap setups and expensive ones.  We found a middle of the road set on ebay for less than half the new price and will be using it for our 4th year.  In terms of cost, we paid $400 for ours divided by 4 drivers equals $100 each.  Pretty cheap.  

If you are shouldering all the costs of the build, safety, personal safety equipment, tow rig and trailer then it's not cheap.  The beauty of this racing is that it's a team sport. Teams that have folks that each bring something to the table (like we used a guy's work trailer for three years) can greatly reduce the costs.

What was that setup exactly? We borrow radios that work very well but can't always use them.

What was that setup exactly? We borrow radios that work very well but can't always use them.

It was a Vertex Standard VX-150U setup being sold by a SCCA racer giving up the sport.  The kits (IIRC was from Sampson Racing Radios) at the time were around $800 to $1000 for two radios, car harness, PTT button, antenna, roll bar mounting box with padding, headset for crew chief and a silver brief case we called the "Bond" case.  If you are going to race a lot it makes sense to just bite the bullet and get one from Sampson.  We weren't sure what our plans were so we went with two temporary solutions that failed and then I found our set at fire sale price over the Xmas holiday looking at ebay.

Here's an ebay sale for something similar but I don't recognize this radio brand.  

Set up some feeds/keep checking and get a set.  I bottom feed on ebay/craigslist all winter long.  I've also purchased three two piece fire suits dedicated to fueling (SFI rated and new but a color reject) for under $35 for each suit.

We have expanded the set courtesy of my close friends in Hong Kong and Shenzen with additional radios, etc so we can run both cars now.  It also helps to send a few radios with the crew so they are listening in and know when they need to be back to the pit box.   Sampson offers much better quality radios than this.

This IS cheap racing, a few hundred $ on radios is hardly a large expense when races cost an average of $3000 per car to run. That's still cheap racing, but racing is an expensive hobby. 

• Like 1

We wanted something for radios at RA last week, so I bought some Motorolas from Walmart for $80 with earbuds. They were good for telling our driver to pit next lap with range only on the front straight. We look to invest in some real radios before the next race. The driver couldn't communicate back, but it worked and I can use the radios for hunting or something.

I already have a tow rig (truck and trailer) that I use for my 911 for DEs. Also have all my personal gear. And I alone am building the car as all my drivers live 2 states away. I'm not really bitching about the cost; compared to Porsche Club Racing, Chump Car is cheap. It's just that with teams upping the ante with radios and professionally built cars, I'm thinking that CC may change into a sport only rich people can afford.

That's it? That's common sense. ;)

In short: "No plan of battle survives contact with the enemy."

I already have a tow rig (truck and trailer) that I use for my 911 for DEs. Also have all my personal gear. And I alone am building the car as all my drivers live 2 states away. I'm not really bitching about the cost; compared to Porsche Club Racing, Chump Car is cheap. It's just that with teams upping the ante with radios and professionally built cars, I'm thinking that CC may change into a sport only rich people can afford.

Rich and or resourceful teams. If you can't rebuild your motor yourself in the pits on any given Saturday it is much more expensive.

We bought some radios off Ebay and had issues with them for about two years. Turns out they were poop and we spent tons trying to get them to work better. Buy good stuff upfront it will save money in the long run.

• Like 3

Teams will always up the ante to win if that's what's important. That's racing. Every see what the top shifter kart guys spend? Chump is cheaper.

Pro built cars like Flatout's SC300 are the exception not the rule. A big differentiator is time spent. The top teams will usually shake their cars out via track days. They KNOW exactly when they will run out of gas BEFORE the race, etc.

I would also recommend talking on the phone or over beers with an experienced team. At our first races, we didn't have a clue, we watched BAR as we knew they were experienced Porsche racers.

• Like 1

I really do not consider myself a "Pro" shop honestly. I enjoy building roll cages and I think I am a pretty good welder. I really do appreciate the compliments.

Now back to Troy and his team kickin butt this weekend, and more on this mystery switch that Bill has to get the caution thrown! lol

• Like 2