A different take on ChumpCar

TacomaJPP

Okay, so we completed our first race. The S10 fared 33rd out of 101 who ran. Not bad. I'm proud of the truck and our team. It was a great weekend. The weather was perfect despite The Weather Channel and despite the snow chaos that sandwiched both weeks before and after the event. There were some wrecks and some destroyed cars, but as far as I know, everyone thankfully, walked away.

Did I have a blast? You bet your sweet ascot. I've NEVER raced anything...legally. I enjoyed racing, driving hard, pit stops, the smell of rubber and unburnt 93 octane, 100% gasoline (our truck was running rich so we didn't completely break down the entire hydrocarbon chain), passing cars, laying rubber, and consuming car parts that a sane person wouldn't have to change for 50,000 miles of normal driving.

However, there's an aspect that came out of our first race I never expected to discover. Since last weekend, my race partner and I have discussed this at length.

We enjoyed the pure, unperverted freedom that came with the event. I can't speak for where everyone works, but ChumpCar allowed us to experience what real teamwork is, what real success feels like, where at a moment's notice split second decisions MUST be made for success, where indecisiveness and selfishness can't and do not exist. There is real fun, excitement, and joy. Where you can share this with family and friends. Where EVERYONE there shared the dedication to fun and safety. Safety at my job is a BS mantra. However, I witnessed many folks thinking and doing things concerned about their safety and the safety of other teammates and other teams at Road Atlanta. Danger is real at a race. Everyone's dedication to safety at such an event with so many cars, at such a fast track is a testament to that.

In a big way, it all seemed like everyone was on the same team. We saw teams lend other teams spare parts, lend advice for race strategy, driving in a competitive but safe manner, pick-up trash that wasn't there's and cheer for an over-zealous driver that kept his car from nailing the wall in the first test session. No one wanted to see anyone destroy their racecar they've worked so hard on.

Now that life is back to normal and I'm back to work, it makes our first weekend with ChumpCar seem like a dream. One I can't wait to live it again.

• Like 28

Very well put!  Your team did a great job in their first outing with the truck.

The Piggy squad just ran the Rd Atl sprints, with me doing a somewhat adequate job as steering wheel spacer, so it wasn't the usual enduro sort of team work.   But our team included some terrific folks we've met who've won packages to race Piggy that we've donated to local community organizations.  When they've driven our car, at whatever pace they could muster, we all took great pleasure in seeing them race and check off a bucket list item.  Finishing in the top 20 at the VIR 24 hours in 2011 with 3 of these wonderful folks was every bit as good as first overall.   And they've kept coming back to drive or more often crew for us.  

It's also been an amazing family thing for us, with 3 generations and a 50+ year spread between family members racing about.  Everyone puts in their best effort and we have fun doing it, so what if the lap time spread is sometimes, shall we say generous.  Even so, we've managed to podium at Rockingham and some top 10 finishes.

Keep doing what you did at Road Atlanta, at least for us, that's exactly what makes ChumpCar different than any other place we've raced in the past 30 odd years of racing foolishness.

Cheers

• Like 1

My favorite part of the race weekend is when you first jump into the car and pull your belts tight and you sit there and you have a few butterflies which soon gets over taken by adrenaline. Then your told to start the car. Heart rate starts increasing.

You pull the car off pit road and within a couple of laps you start to get into the groove and usually find other cars that are racing at your cars pace and then the " chest match " begins. Next, great wheel to wheel competition,......Awesome.

Then which seems like only ten minutes has gone by, your crew is calling you to pit road. You get out of the car and start counting the minutes until its your turn again to get back into that seat.

I need to calm down, I'm starting to get jacked up just writing about it :D

• Like 4

Check back with me after a couple of DNFs..... it will make or break you

Calculus couldn't break me and trust me, racing is way more fun.

Our first weekend was all success.  Then the next time was all spins and crash.  The next time was blown engine.  The next time we lost the clutch.

Fun every time for sure, but nothing sucks more than knowing what a full weekend of racing was like, getting all amped up for the next weekend and then going home early - again.

Still coming back for more, though.  <_<

Glad to see your race turned out so great! Ours sucked racewise, but we learned a bunch. Bring more parts than you think you'll need and especially those parts that are not available at the "parts house".  I may have mentioned in another post, but we heard a loud RATTLE/Grinding sound when one of our drivers was about to go out. Sounded like it was in the clutch or tranny. Pulled both and found nothing wrong! Re-installed and the sound was gone only to come back later..Still not sure what it is but pulling out both again this weekend for closer inspection.

All this happended on Friday and I was the only one on the team that didn't get to drive the car. So, what a rush it was to START the race on Saturday having 0 laps in the car and of course, 0 laps at Road Atlanta! Thank goodness for warm up laps while Chump was sorting transponders!

Can't wait for another shot next year!

• Like 1

Okay, so we completed our first race. The S10 fared 33rd out of 101 who ran. Not bad. I'm proud of the truck and our team. It was a great weekend. The weather was perfect despite The Weather Channel and despite the snow chaos that sandwiched both weeks before and after the event. There were some wrecks and some destroyed cars, but as far as I know, everyone thankfully, walked away.

Did I have a blast? You bet your sweet ascot. I've NEVER raced anything...legally. I enjoyed racing, driving hard, pit stops, the smell of rubber and unburnt 93 octane, 100% gasoline (our truck was running rich so we didn't completely break down the entire hydrocarbon chain), passing cars, laying rubber, and consuming car parts that a sane person wouldn't have to change for 50,000 miles of normal driving.

However, there's an aspect that came out of our first race I never expected to discover. Since last weekend, my race partner and I have discussed this at length.

We enjoyed the pure, unperverted freedom that came with the event. I can't speak for where everyone works, but ChumpCar allowed us to experience what real teamwork is, what real success feels like, where at a moment's notice split second decisions MUST be made for success, where indecisiveness and selfishness can't and do not exist. There is real fun, excitement, and joy. Where you can share this with family and friends. Where EVERYONE there shared the dedication to fun and safety. Safety at my job is a BS mantra. However, I witnessed many folks thinking and doing things concerned about their safety and the safety of other teammates and other teams at Road Atlanta. Danger is real at a race. Everyone's dedication to safety at such an event with so many cars, at such a fast track is a testament to that.

In a big way, it all seemed like everyone was on the same team. We saw teams lend other teams spare parts, lend advice for race strategy, driving in a competitive but safe manner, pick-up trash that wasn't there's and cheer for an over-zealous driver that kept his car from nailing the wall in the first test session. No one wanted to see anyone destroy their racecar they've worked so hard on.

Now that life is back to normal and I'm back to work, it makes our first weekend with ChumpCar seem like a dream. One I can't wait to live it again.

And beer.

is that the increase in your waist size ?

Hat size. . Hanging out with ya'll has made me that much smarter... I am either a glutton for punishment or a junkie seeking the fix as there have been three events I've entered where I didn't turn a single lap. Most sane people would have quit by now.

Glad you finally got to join in the fun Tacoma

• Like 1

Hat size. . Hanging out with ya'll has made me that much smarter... I am either a glutton for punishment or a junkie seeking the fix as there have been three events I've entered where I didn't turn a single lap. Most sane people would have quit by now.

Feel ya, in 2012 I had about the same deal.  O laps at Daytona ( the first race ever there ! I was so bummed ) 8 laps at Sebring ( tons of problems ) and only 2 before the motor blew at the Chumpionship.   Not a good year, but I'm still here too !       :)

I felt the same way after my first race at Sebring last year. Good write up and expression of how most of us feel.

We had a two hour repair last race and finished on a cooked engine...someone actually pushed our car to the pits.

This year we had bad luck with a failed water pump that got us in the race an hour late...then hit some debris an hour later and wrecked the car. Very wide range of emotions in 2 days.

Keep it up and have fun.

• Like 1

Glad to see your race turned out so great! Ours sucked racewise, but we learned a bunch. Bring more parts than you think you'll need and especially those parts that are not available at the "parts house".  I may have mentioned in another post, but we heard a loud RATTLE/Grinding sound when one of our drivers was about to go out. Sounded like it was in the clutch or tranny. Pulled both and found nothing wrong! Re-installed and the sound was gone only to come back later..Still not sure what it is but pulling out both again this weekend for closer inspection.

All this happended on Friday and I was the only one on the team that didn't get to drive the car. So, what a rush it was to START the race on Saturday having 0 laps in the car and of course, 0 laps at Road Atlanta! Thank goodness for warm up laps while Chump was sorting transponders!

Can't wait for another shot next year!

Check your throwout bearing

Super post Tacoma - I thoroughly enjoyed my first Chump race at RA in the enduro with the great guys at RentThisRaceCar.com - what a blast.   After 100+ road course days it took track driving to a totally different level for me - cannot wait until I can land a seat for another race - I will be back for sure.    Ditto to the post that said one belted in zero thoughts or worries about anything outside of the track.   What a wonderful place mentally to escape to.

• Like 2

Great Post Tacoma!!  I share your sentiments completely, RA was our first race last year too and while we had issues the whole day we still finished (unlike this year, where we experienced our first DNF) and that in itself always feels like a victory!  My team last year, with the exception of 1, had zero race experience and while 2013 was full of learning both in driving and managing a race team, the team work aspect was a really neat thing to see develop.   

Glad to hear you guys did so well and had such a good time!

• Like 1