Desert Racer Newbies at Laguna

Pee Wee

Car 136 at Laguna Seca

After catching the CHUMP bug last year at Daytona watching my cousin race I knew I had to assemble a team and build a car. Fellow off road racers Skyler Gambrell, Brian Munson, and myself Perry Coan were gathered and it was decided we would seek out a first gen Neon for our weapon of choice. We located a solid car and wanted to get to it but had to wait until Skyler was done prepping cars for the Parker 425 and King of the Hammers off road races giving us the late start second week of February. We managed to complete the car a week before the race and were ready for some fun. Brian and I love to play golf so we went up early for a few rounds and Skyler brought the car up from our shop in Pomona. Tech was a breeze and we put the Car away for the night and headed to town for food, drink, and sleep. Race day and I'm in for the first stint and having visions of driving to the front of the pack, that didn't happen because the pack came to me......quite a few times, I'm sucking at this. We make the call for a driver change and Skyler gets in and is up to good speed pretty quick and he does a full 1.5 hour stint and Brian gets in, he has some drama with a self induced off and two with help from other drivers, one being Master Chump John himself who later apologized. We stuck with rotating the two of them for the remaining stints as I felt I would rather get some testing time without so many guys on the course. We did make one pit for fuel that was a bad plan and also rotated tires front to rear and wished we hadn't because of lost laps. Managed 150 laps and got 11th in class. Just one away from our top ten goal. Now we are deciding where we want to race next. 

Later

Pee Wee

• Like 3

Hey Team Pomona Speed Shop!  We loved having you at this event.  And 11th is pretty darn good. After three Chump cars and three years, our team finally made a top 10 finish.  Congrats, you guys did great your first time out with us (we blew a brand new end within 45 minutes this last weekend).  We look very forward to having you at an event soon....how about ChumpCar's debut at Thunderhill on April 18-19 (a Friday & Saturday race so you can be home for Easter Sunday)? Or the West Region's only 24-hour event at Buttonwillow on May 17-18? If we can be of any assistance, you know who to call :) Thanks again for taking a test drive with us!