PIR Holy Moly! Enduro Sprint Combo

Aleru

Alright all the final Results are in!
Lots of winners this weekend with 16 total races!
You can view all the results for every race this weekend (including Champtruck) online at:
http://www.mylaps.com/en/events/1210633

Or you can download the Results and Laptimes at:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3sE_eBHunfsT2RrRjJNLS1kWG8&usp=sharing

(Sprint race results and laptimes and in the folder named "Sprints")

Thank you Everyone for showing up and making this Combo event an absolute blast!
If you guys had fun please let us know! We would love to do more sprint-enduro combo event like this in the future!
Hope to see all of you again soon!

Bill and family, oops I mean Bill and crew that put on the race, it is awesome as always being at your events. It feels like being at a family event.

I thought I would see what it would be like to do a race in a Fiero. We didn't do too bad running pretty solid in the enduros and taking a sprint win. I'm so-so on the sprint concept, while fun it does chew up a lot of time and on Sunday with three sprints if you had four drivers on your team then one person has to watch the last day.

If there could be quicker turn-around on the races it would be better. Such as pull in to pit, change drivers if you want, then line up for the next one.

I also understand the need to try to include or draw in other racer groups like the SCCA people and perhaps having the sprints will bring them in. I am all for bigger car counts so whatever it takes to increase them.

My team is finished racing for the year, see you next year.

• Like 1

Our team enjoyed the format - we feel it needs some fine tuning and running with the trucks caused some gaps in the schedule that could easily be fixed. There were 4 sprint races on Sunday (not 3 as noted above) - and the racing was very exciting - some real battles thru the field. Wasn't sure we would enjoy this format - was pleasantly surprised - has some promise.

I had fun dicing with #177 for about half an hour in the first stint on Friday. It didn't take very long to realize that I could trust the other driver enough to stick a nose inside without worrying about a sudden shot across the bow. I was very glad that the driver (Tim? I'm terrible with names) came over after our stints and introduced himself; nice guy and very good driver! They went on to win, well done guys!

Our good run and Ron's first stint in a Fiero got interrupted by a very large bolt in the right rear tire (thanks!) about halfway through the second stint which dropped us from second to seventh (three laps). Ron from Tachophobic Racing (#53) joined us for the weekend at the last minute when one of my driver's couldn't get on his flight (thanks Travelocity!) and did a great of keeping us in contention. Being our first night race we suffered a little after the sun went down but Paul adapted quickly and kept the pace up despite our less than wonderful but 8000 lumen LED lights. The team still managed a top ten despite me going too deep on turn #1 and tagging #313 on our fourth stint at the end of the race, just in time to limp back to the pits through the downpour on the back straight! Lost three laps to that indiscretion and we missed the sprint races the next day doing repairs.

I pulled the bolt most of the way out of the ruined tire and left it and the tire sitting by our pit but for some reason no one claimed ownership! It was a pretty big bolt, so probably not from a chumpcar; most likely a loose bit from a champtruck. Oh well.

Saturday's 6 hour saw a lot of teams switch to econo mode to stick with the two hour stints. The first stint saw a 50 minute red flag period so all the teams managed to do the two hour for that one! Paul again drove a very steady second stint and got us up to sixth. Dropped to tenth on our final pit stop, and an hour and change into the last stint we were in ninth and looking good for another top ten when I decided that the noise in the steering that I'd been hearing the last couple of laps was a little too loud for my liking and pulled in. Disappointing to finish 21st after a decent early run but better than having a steering failure at high speed in the dark! One red flag in a race is already one too many without adding a second!

Sorted things out the next morning and tested the results in the 5th sprint race. It was fun being able to run without the need to conserve fuel and after the race I was surprised to find out that I had won! I was actually third on track but the other two cars had DOV from earlier races. Unfortunately the DOV that I incurred for my team kept Ron and Paul from finishing where they should have - sorry, guys.

All in all, a well run event (thanks, Bill and gang!) and a very interesting introduction to the challenges of night racing! Harder than I thought it would be to keep the pace up but a great learning experience!

Edited by mender
  • Like 1

Thanks to all the Chumps that made it to Portland...shame there wasn't a few more

team Scrap Attack had a pretty enjoyable weekend but as seems to be the norm Portland has yet to give us a trouble free weekend...once again we never got to venture more than 3 blocks from the track for various reasons...oh well, we were there to race.

Friday 7 hour started fair enough but about 5 laps in I notice heavy smoke on hard left turns...unfortunately too much oil in the motor...pulled in to drain 1/2 a liter (yes I said it...LITER, or LITRE if you prefer) before we were black flagged for smoke...things were going well until I blew the chicane big time...developed a vibration...thought it was left front tire...pit stop to change...no different....also felt like left rear wheel bearing (had this issue before)....pitted again and changed it...still no improvement but it did not seem to get worse so we soldiered on after 19 minutes of unplanned pit stops and our 2 lap mov penalty we managed 11th - 13 laps down...ok

Saturday Wayne and I decided we would each do a sprint race on an old set of worn tires from earlier this year ...Wayne started inside 7th row and was in 1st place before the first corner...we are oval track guys so we are all about the 2x2 start...finished 6th after out time for dov was added....and then the wheels fell off....decided to poke around under the hood between srpints and forgot to put the hood pins back in....first corner of my out lap...WHACK...limped back to the bits where Blue Bayous crew put my pins in and off I went...finished 2 laps down in 14th

We had a choice to make regarding our windshield...we cut it out, vacuumed out the glass...pulled our back window and hatch and went old school, visors down!...unfortunately a 6 hour race just doesn't work with our small fuel tank...we needed 3 stops where the first and second place cars only needed 2...3rd place could have had 10 they were so fast it probably wouldn't have made a difference.....anyway...found ourselves in 1st with just over and hour to go and out mov laps already accounted for but...we needed one more stop...finished 4th 3 laps down...a different experience with no windshield I will tell you...our fast lap time was only 4/10 slower than with the windshield although it felt like we were going backwards in the straights with the wind trying to rip my helmet off.

one more sprint Sunday morning just for the heck of it...finished 3rd........lots of fun, always great people and good times...special thanks to Blue Bayou (and congratulations on Saturdays win) and 3 Quarts low (hope your driver is doing well after his crash) for being such awesome pit neighbors.

Our mov is gone now so watch out...we will be coming on strong next race!!!

• Like 1

I had fun dicing with #177 for about half an hour in the first stint on Friday. It didn't take very long to realize that I could trust the other driver enough to stick a nose inside without worrying about a sudden shot across the bow. I was very glad that the driver (Tim? I'm terrible with names) came over after our stints and introduced himself; nice guy and very good driver! They went on to win, well done guys!

I had a similar experience running wit the #177 and I'm assuming it was the same gent that came over after the race to thank me for close hard racing. At one point we went side by side all the way from turn 3 to 7 (then lost him on the back straight) inches apart without touching. Great racing all weekend!

Weekend format needs some fine tuning but overall liked the combination of sprints and enduros. Without the trucks, we should see less 'down' time.

Edited by johnr_10

We had a great weekend out there in the #24 Blue Bayou, taking home three trophies. I also beat my personal best lap time, which always makes me happy. And one of the best things about the weekend, we finally didn't have to work on our brakes! In fact the only thing that went wrong all weekend was we blew out a sway bar end link during a practice.

We really enjoyed the sprint + endurance format, I would be fine if every endurance race had a couple sprint races tacked on! They are fun to drive, and make for much better spectating. I had a great time dicing it up with Casey in the Supra, but I need more horsepower!

The Champ Trucks were really fun to watch, and my dad who has driven truck for many years really enjoyed talking shop with those guys. It seems that with a little marketing Champ Truck could have been a big spectator event. Maybe next time someone can talk to the local news or pay for some advertising? I wouldn't have known about it if it weren't for racing ChumpCar, and I think a lot of people would have come if they had known about it.

We really enjoyed pitting next to Scrap Attack again, I think we might have to try make that a tradition! You guys left a pit light, we have it in our trailer. I live about a mile off of I-5, if you end up going down to Laguna Seca you could grab it.

• Like 6

Mender and Johnr - thanks, it was really fun racing with you both.  Tough but always fair.  We had a good weekend, finally got a win with a great drive in the dark (and damp) by Kurt sqeaking by Dog and Pony by 8 secs and Blue Bayou by 20sec after 7 hrs !  As usual we enjoyed our pit mates Dog and Pony.  Cheers - Dan (although "Tim" is a teammate as well)

• Like 2

Had a great time racing with Shift Autosport, the red Jetta.Thanks for the ride, was a fast car and a great bunch of people too!  I think the sprint formats were a big success on the excitement!

I did first sprint and 3rd sprint on Saturday. We finished 2nd and 1st (after the results were adjusted), starting with reverse grid in the back.

First stint, i don't remember the driver from the red miata, but we had an awesome battle to the end. I 

I met the driver after, don't remember his name but do remember the mustache :) The 3rd sprint, i had a blast starting at the back.

I also started the enduro, and had a pretty awesome battle with civic, nose to nose for 20 minutes, until on the last turn from start/finish i lost all brakes... on 4th gear. I avoided the civic and crashed sideways into the barrier, but surprisingly the car had only a few cosmetic dents in the rear. We later found out the rear brakes were staying open due to rumble strips... lets just say it was a pretty intense moment :)

Here is some footage front 3rd sprint, until my battery ran out :)

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBEyIURRKw0

• Like 5

Mender and Johnr - thanks, it was really fun racing with you both.  Tough but always fair.  We had a good weekend, finally got a win with a great drive in the dark (and damp) by Kurt sqeaking by Dog and Pony by 8 secs and Blue Bayou by 20sec after 7 hrs !  As usual we enjoyed our pit mates Dog and Pony.  Cheers - Dan (although "Tim" is a teammate as well)

Sorry, Dan, like I said I'm bad with names! Yes, really enjoyed being able to trust you and run right up close through the corners! That was the best dice I've had in Chump to date and I look forward to more of the same!

• Like 1

It was a heck of a weekend for us.  We ran two, pretty much, trouble free enduros with 5 minute pitstops, getting our first win on Friday and finishing sixth on Saturday. Thanks to everyone who came out and to the Chump staff for putting on the show.

On Friday night, I drove the last stint.  It was pretty epic with the changing track conditions.  One of the cars was smoking so badly that I also spent several laps driving through a cloud smoke, thinking at first it was fog, until I got a good whiff of the oil smell.  The whole time, I thought that we were racing for 2nd.  And the team (probably wisely) didn't tell me otherwise.  Timing and scoring was confused as well.   When I entered the pits after taking the checker, John congratulated me on getting 2nd place.    At this point I thought that SC-YA had won, because I thought their MOV had already been applied when I got in the car, but it hadn't.   Then when I arrived at impound I was told that Dog and Pony Show won.  But I had passed Dog and Pony twice during my stint (the 2nd time just a few laps before the finish) and Race Monitor had shown us on the same lap when I got in the car, so now I was really confused.  At this point the timing and scoring guy (sorry failing to remember his name right now), walked by and said that we had won.  The confusion was because Dog and Pony show had been accidentally black flagged during the race, so they were given time back.     He seemed a little uncertain so we all walked up looked at the timing and scoring readouts on the computer.  The readout showed that by the time I passed the checkered flag we had completed 239 laps, to Dog and Pony Show's (and Blue Bayou's) 234 laps, thus we were officially given a one lap victory.

However,  when the lap charts were published, the story got even more interesting.  Had we been given the checkered flag on our first lap past 10pm, as we should have been.  We would have completed our 238th lap at 20:00:32.050.   With time factored back in for Dog and Pony Show, they finished their 234th lap at 20:00:41.574.   We actually only won by 9 seconds.  Blue Bayou was another 21 seconds back, so 30 seconds covered the top 3 cars.

The lap charts also showed that all four of our drivers drove very well, but I need to call out Dan (Weazer).   Dan's fastest lap was a 1:34.2, our fastest lap as a team was a 1:33.12.   However, before Dan came in for our first pitstop, he rattled off 28 laps in a row under 1:36,  16 of those laps were in the 1:34s.  To put this in perspective Tim and I both ran some 1:33s, but the best string of laps that we could put in under 1:36 was eight!.    Dan did 28, most of them within a second of his fastest lap!  You guys should all look at your lap times,  take your fastest lap, add three seconds and see how many laps in a row you did under that time.  I thought this was an amazing performance and maybe the key component of our victory.

We had a lot of luck in the alignment of no-shows, MOV penalties, and ailing/breaking cars at this race, but even with the luck, we still needed our best team effort in two years of racing in order to finally win one.  We are overjoyed that all the stars aligned and we were able to pull it off. Kurt

• Like 2