VIR North Double 7

achisek

• ChampCar Staff

We are almost 2.5 hours into the race, and here's a recap of some of the exciting events of the last couple of hours:

we lost some of the cars due to a Mechanical problems and accidents. Boom Pow surprise #199 is in the lead for now with 71 laps

• ChampCar Staff

More you ask? Well, ok...

So after a beautiful day of cloudless racing, and achieving a "super-cool" status here in the tech department. Super-cool because we figured out how to display Race-Monitor on every monitor screen in the VIR building! They installed these monitors all over the building and by using the HDMI cable and showing them as a third screen we could feed something like 9 screens around the building. These were in addition to the big screen we use in Registration. So, I'm sticking with Super-Cool!

Any how, results for Saturday's race can be found here:

http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/3791526

Congratulations to Ronald's Racers for a great win, and to InACURate Racing for a great finish. Ronald's had the lead for last half hour, InACURate got around them with 1 to go, leading into the last lap with 0.098 of a lead, and Ronald's was able to get back around for the win with a last-pass.

More to come....

Well it looked like BoomPowSurprise had the win wrapped up... until they sprayed fuel everywhere expect into the engine. That left Where's John in the lead with CYA Racing a close second. Congratulations to all the podium finishers!

Results for Sunday are here:

http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/3792910

Dana

Edited by DuncanDana
Updates..
  • Like 3

• ChampCar Staff

Well, we were on track (literally) for an early start.. We were running warm-up laps and looking to take the green at around 8:59. Then a really nice looking white BMW rolled to a stop in the middle of the front stretch. Not sure what the problem was, but towing him set our green flag back to 9:06... But, it's another bright sunny and cold day, perfect for a race day!

Running order....

199 BoomPowSurprise

919 CYA Racing

98 Where's John?

118 MT Pockets

42 No Panic Racing

Well we are stopped at IHOP on our way back to Northern Virginia so I have a minute to share my thoughts from my first ChumpCar race. First thanks to Mike and team for an awesome experience. Thanks to Greg for letting me drive your car and thanks to VIR for such an awesome track. 

We smoked the motor today with 2.5 hours leftand didn't get our last round of driving but I was exceptionally honored to take the checkered flag for the 109 car on Saturday. Sorry to all of you that got stuck behind me but I tried to yield a pass as soon as I could since I know I am not nearly as fas as most of you guys. Thanks to all (for the most part) for making safe passes... But I guess that's racing. I am hooked and will be back providing I can find more seats to rent and or build a car.

That was the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on. :-)

See you guys at the next race....

Tiny

PS I added a pic of the Mazda that caught fire at pit-in today for those who missed it....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• Technical Advisory Committee

We had a great weekend.  6th Saturday, No mechanical issues (just got out-driven).  12th sunday, were on track to a similar finish as saturday until we spent 20 minutes chasing what I think is a bad ground which caused the coolant pressure and coolant temperature gauges to go haywire.  Put us from 7th back to 16th, and we drove back to 12th.

(There were plenty of highlights, but this is the one that stuck with me most.) Here is a video of me driving too aggressively.  This was the final 30 minutes on saturday, and I didn't have radio communications so I was driving as hard as possible in case someone ahead of me was in-reach.  

https://youtu.be/yMPjPmDkDNw

Edited by Huggy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Huggy said:

We had a great weekend.  6th Saturday, No mechanical issues (just got out-driven).  12th sunday, were on track to a similar finish as saturday until we spent 20 minutes chasing what I think is a bad ground which caused the coolant pressure and coolant temperature gauges to go haywire.  Put us from 7th back to 16th, and we drove back to 12th.

There were plenty of highlights, but this is the one that stuck with me most.  This was the final 30 minutes on saturday, and I didn't have radio communications so I was driving as hard as possible in case someone ahead of me was in-reach.  

At least 1 contact (maybe 2), off track twice...in about a minute?   And this is a highlight?  I'll admit it's interesting, but geez....do track limits or rules even apply to you?  

• Like 1

I didn't see any contact...ok, maybe a brush with the sleeping black E30 in T3.  What else?

I agree (and it looks like Huggy does, too) that the 2-off pass under the bridge wasn't too well thought out.  If that had gone bad (and it had a good chance to), it would have taken out at least 1/2 dozen other cars.

48 minutes ago, Huggy said:

There were plenty of highlights, but this is the one that stuck with me most.  This was the final 30 minutes on saturday, and I didn't have radio communications so I was driving as hard as possible in case someone ahead of me was in-reach.  

At least 1 contact (maybe 2), off track twice...in about a minute?   And this is a highlight?  I'll admit it's interesting, but geez....do track limits or rules even apply to you?  

19 minutes ago, Bremsen said:

I didn't see any contact...ok, maybe a brush with the sleeping black E30 in T3.  What else?

I agree (and it looks like Huggy does, too) that the 2-off pass under the bridge wasn't too well thought out.  If that had gone bad (and it had a good chance to), it would have taken out at least 1/2 dozen other cars.

19 minutes ago, Bremsen said:

I cannot figure out this reply system with the quotes, so sorry for the above duplication.   

I thought it was really close with the 944, if he didn't touch him....great, it was only 1 contact.   Definitely a side-swipe with the E30, and the 2-off was just dumb.  Could've ended the race for a bunch of cars and was totally avoidable.  Went off to pass the red BMW (kinda got pushed there, but shouldn't have been there), and then the two-off to get around the VW.  It wasn't like he was forced there, he chose that route to make a pass.    ....and I'm assuming there was no penalty involved for any of this driving.  

This is why there was another series created.   "NO contact"?  

My point is that IF there would've been a pileup because of the two-off excursion or any other piece of this, anyone watching this video afterwards would've said "Duh..you drove like an idiot".    Congrats on pulling it off without an incident, I'm sure all the other teams were thrilled to watch it close up.  

Edited by iampkrfn
feel like it
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Huggy said:

So just to make sure that I'm understanding this right, with 30 minutes to go, you decided that it was a good idea to be extremely aggressive in traffic in snake and almost have a contact with more than a few cars even though you were 3 laps behind? This also included the P1 car, by the way.

I just want to make sure that we're both on the same page.

e: at least you tagged it under the appropriate youtube category

Edited by Phone
  • Like 1

• Race Control
4 hours ago, Richard said:

Is anyone else not shocked that that off-roading adventure was caused by an impatient E36 driver?

This E36 driver was black flagged for the incident in the video as he did it right under the scoring tower with me watching.  There was no contact (fortunately) but he was flagged for aggressive driving.  The humorous part was that he was adamant that he had done nothing wrong.  It was the "other drivers fault for not accelerating out of a local caution fast enough"!

Talking point here - if you are thinking about doing what the E36 did, you are in the wrong.  I may not see you do it, but if the corner calls you in - you'll see a black flag next lap.

• Like 4

• Race Control
4 hours ago, Huggy said:

Huggy, that was stupid.  The fact that you consider that sequence of events a "highlight" disappoints me.  Had the corners actually called in any of that, you would have been sitting in black flag.  I'm disappointed the corner didn't call you in for the pass in the grass, but I understand the difficulty of their job and they can't see everything.  Needless to say, you now have my attention, and as a driver, you never want me to pay that close attention to you.  I expect better judgement out of you at the next event.

3 hours ago, iampkrfn said:

....and I'm assuming there was no penalty involved for any of this driving.  

This is why there was another series created.   "NO contact"?  

Reference my above statement - corner didn't call it in, we never knew it happened until this video.

Perhaps you should spend some time in the scoring tower with a steward - any steward, any club.  I think you'd be amazed at how little can be seen of a race and how much a steward relies on his corners to help him "see" everything.  They're not perfect, but I'm extremely thankful for all the corners we work with.  Without them, we couldn't race.

As for your "No contact" series, last I checked one doesn't exist.

• Like 8

• Technical Advisory Committee

There was no contact.  The black car in T3 is a neon.  The noise is the FIA curbing. 

At the risk of sounding like I am justifying my decision (On a pass I already said I probably shouldn't have taken), lets talk about it:

The grass-pass on the VW -  I did not HAVE to make that choice.  The reason I did was that I had recently been in a similar place and checked up, only to get rear-ended.  I will concede that it was definitely a low-percentage pass.  I could have checked up, but the neon was right behind me.  It was a split second decision.  Sorry for the poor decision making.

As far as the no contact comment - After it (the grass part) happened I was sure that I would get a black flag, but It did happen in a hard to see spot with tons of cars around.

As far as one of the cars being a P1 car - I was fully aware that 205 was in the podium contention.  If they have any issue with it, I am sure I will hear about it (and then apologize)

Serious question though, since I am still a new chumper: At what point of differential positioning do I yield to podium cars?  Should I have not passed 205 at that point since he was on the podium?  The 2nd video below shows me running with 42 and 13, who were fighting for position (3 and 4th i think).  - Should I have not raced with them and lagged back to stay out of the way?  I was attempting to chase down 3 cars in that run, which I caught, but I might not have otherwise?  How do you handle that.

It was posted, like all of the photos/videos I post, for comments (good and bad), so thanks for the opinions.  Phone, I don't know who you are, but since you are in Raleigh, and despite your sarcastic post, I'd love to buy you a beer, tell you I was being aggressive, and make a new friend out of the deal.

Here are 2 more videos.

https://youtu.be/rh9azRpyekA

Edited by Huggy
trying to embed second video

1 hour ago, chisek said:

Huggy, that was stupid.  The fact that you consider that sequence of events a "highlight" disappoints me.  Had the corners actually called in any of that, you would have been sitting in black flag.  I'm disappointed the corner didn't call you in for the pass in the grass, but I understand the difficulty of their job and they can't see everything.  Needless to say, you now have my attention, and as a driver, you never want me to pay that close attention to you.  I expect better judgement out of you at the next event.

Reference my above statement - corner didn't call it in, we never knew it happened until this video.

Perhaps you should spend some time in the scoring tower with a steward - any steward, any club.  I think you'd be amazed at how little can be seen of a race and how much a steward relies on his corners to help him "see" everything.  They're not perfect, but I'm extremely thankful for all the corners we work with.  Without them, we couldn't race.

As for your "No contact" series, last I checked one doesn't exist.

I appreciate the clarification, and I'm glad to hear that the only reason it wasn't penalized is because you didn't know about it.  To clarify, I said that I assumed there was no penalty because he didn't mention one, not because chump ignores contact.  It's disappointing that corner workers didn't call it in, but I don't buy that they didn't see it.  This melee had to be very attention grabbing with 2 trips off track within about 10 seconds of each other.   

That being said, a "No contact" series DOES exist, I've raced in it.   

Edited by iampkrfn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Huggy said:

There was no contact.  The black car in T3 is a neon.  The noise is the FIA curbing. 

At the risk of sounding like I am justifying my decision (On a pass I already said I probably shouldn't have taken), lets talk about it:

The grass-pass on the VW -  I did not HAVE to make that choice.  The reason I did was that I had recently been in a similar place and checked up, only to get rear-ended.  I will concede that it was definitely a low-percentage pass.  I could have checked up, but the neon was right behind me.  It was a split second decision.  Sorry for the poor decision making.

As far as the no contact comment - After it (the grass part) happened I was sure that I would get a black flag, but It did happen in a hard to see spot with tons of cars around.

As far as one of the cars being a P1 car - I was fully aware that 205 was in the podium contention.  If they have any issue with it, I am sure I will hear about it (and then apologize)

Serious question though, since I am still a new chumper: At what point of differential positioning do I yield to podium cars?  Should I have not passed 205 at that point since he was on the podium?  The 2nd video below shows me running with 42 and 13, who were fighting for position (3 and 4th i think).  - Should I have not raced with them and lagged back to stay out of the way?  I was attempting to chase down 3 cars in that run, which I caught, but I might not have otherwise?  How do you handle that.

It was posted, like all of the photos/videos I post, for comments (good and bad), so thanks for the opinions.  Phone, I don't know who you are, but since you are in Raleigh, and despite your sarcastic post, I'd love to buy you a beer, tell you I was being aggressive, and make a new friend out of the deal.

Here are 2 more videos.

I'll take your word for it, but that really sounds and looks (check the rear view camera) like you hit that black car.  Does not sound like curbing at all.   

The black neon, our other half of the neon squad was pretty clean. I doubt huggy hit it.

I can be an aggressive driver (only black flag was my first race) so i will leave the yelling at you to mike. My only thought, man you are brave to pass the slow cars on the outside. Far safer for everyone if you root your way on the inside. Sort of frowned upon, but most guys will move and give you enough to survive, and if you are going to be a penis that is the less risky move for your sake. I do my 2 offs with the inside wheels ?. 

• Race Control
41 minutes ago, iampkrfn said:

That being said, a "No contact" series DOES exist, I've raced in it.   

I let a lot of misinformation go as general internet chatter, but once in a while I gotta call somebody out.  Call it a "fact check".

I and everybody else on here know who you are referring to, and it is a FACT that they have their own contact.  Sure they don't like to own up to it (that would destroy their perfect narrative), but it has happened and will continue to happen for them and any other club that let's drivers race each other.  Why?  Drivers have free will and those drivers are piloting the cars, not race officials.  NASA has strict contact policies including 13 month probation/suspension on drivers found to be at fault but they still have contact.  LeMons sits everyone involved in contact for 30 minutes, even if you did nothing wrong, and they still have contact.

Contact in a race will always happen, and it can never be eliminated from the sport we all love, because as good as you drivers can be behind the wheel - people make mistakes.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Seefo said:

In other news, we caught a groundhog with our radiator on Saturday with 20 minutes to go:
image-e14bdbcfeb117cd632004bce6ebbb4492e

Dropped us from 8th to 17th.  I am disappointed that chump didn't give us a special award ;)

Next time maybe you should adopt a catch and release protocol.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huggy said:

Here are 2 more videos.

I was in the 13 Miata during this stint and thought you did nothing wrong.  I actually radio'd in to see if I needed to race you for position.  When I heard the answer I let you go because I was over driving the car to keep you behind me and then try to keep up with you.  However the the other move well.....

• Like 1