Funtucky (AKA California Speedway)

Pee Wee

Yes there was.

Miata 1st

Flyin' Hawaiian's 2 White Guys and a Degenerate 2nd Datsun 260Z

3rd place was a brand new car,and sorry guys if I get this wrong.I think it was a VW. These guys did a nice job for their first race with a new car.

Had a great time with them the last stint of the race.Their driver was certainly faster then me through the turns,but we made up for it in the acceleration down the front and back straights.10 hours is a long ass time.Haven't done a 24 yet.It's on the list.Was on the upper end of warm.Not blazing hot like June.

Got to talk with a bunch of folks since the wife didn't come for this event. Greg with the crazy Neon. One of the 5150 guys driving the Crazy Neon. Enjoyed talking with the other Chump Folks. Bill and Sandy did a great job handling the timing and scoring glitch,and it all worked out fine in the end.Fed us pizza at the end too! Which was very nice. I know it's not a track that is not high on a lot of folks list.Works well for me,as I don't have a bunch of seat time,so I enjoyed it. Except for the spin at the end of the front straight,and the short off road tour. I get to drive a very well prepared car,with a great group of drivers, and we have fun too. It makes it nice the car is fast enough,and reliable enough to place on the podium.

Say what you want.Without Chump Car I'd never get the opportunity to drive a real race car,at a real race track,and race wheel to wheel with other folks doing the same crazy thing. So a big shout out of Thanks to CC and all the staff that made it possible for the event to go.

• Like 1

Door Slammers won, with their unlimited budget and killer car. The Flyin' Hawaiians made it close, being up a lap until the last 20 min or so. They had to make a fuel stop or driver change at the end that gave the win to the Slammers.

Great, courteous driving by all concerned, at least in my experience. I am sorry for taking out one of the other Miatas when they spun in front of us about 4 hours into the race. We were contending for a podium position, but this took us out of contention.

Lots of early attrition, and several of the usual front runners had issues early on as well. Uncommon Friends had a couple of major issues, Roto-Plooker had their tranny get stuck in 3rd gear and had to retire, tire issues for Bucket List Brigade, and I am sure that there are others that I was not aware of. Door Slammer's second car, a Fiero of some sort, also retired early.

Both of my other drivers got sick from the heat, so it was probably a good thing that we stopped pushing after straightening the car out using a tow strap and our truck. We lost an hour for repairs, but the car's handling was unaffected and we took the checkered in P19 out of 35.

Kudos to the VW Jetta for placing 3rd! Not the fastest car out there, but drivers and fuel were the only things they stopped for. It shows that Bob doesn't know everything :P

Lots of problems with scoring, due to the backup decoder being DOA. Bill had someone drive the primary down from Vegas Saturday morning to enable Race Monitor and electronic scoring. It was pretty interesting watching triple-redundant hand scoring of the race going on for the first 5 hours... After electronic scoring was working, the RM servers started going down, so trying to figure out where you were in the race was pretty difficult to do.

Live streaming worked for the first couple hours of the race, but heat eventually got to the phones and they began shutting down. It was nice while it lasted.

Results:

2016ACS_Results1_zpsbpnt95pa.jpg

2016ACS_Results2_zpsndvsd6pe.jpg

2016ACS_Results3_zpsovevsq8z.jpg

Edited by KDJones2000
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KDJones2000 said:

It was pretty interesting watching triple-redundant hand scoring of the race going on for the first 5 hours... After electronic scoring was working, the RM servers started going down, so trying to figure out where you were in the race was pretty difficult to do.

Well, this series was meant to be a throwback to the old days.... :)

Los Cerdos Voladores (neon) team captain Greg here. I found the lack of timing & scoring data for the first 8 hours of the race to be extremely frustrating. I can't figure out how the #966 Jetta got to be 6 laps in front of us. While in Impound, I spoke briefly with one of the guys from the #966 Jetta team, and he said something to the effect that he thought that we were in front of them all day. At least, that's what I think he said. Lacking any data to make my point, I didn't raise the issue with Bill or any other Chump officials. I sure hope that the T&S electronics are working well at Laguna Seca next month.    

Edited by widgetsltd
  • Like 1

Greg, it was so much fun chasing you guys down for what felt like an hour, going nose to tail the entire time. You guys were able to match us on straightline speed, but we were just a little bit faster in the turns. You have done quite a bit to that car, and the results show it.

I was finally able to pass you, and was working on that red 260Z car when our race effectively ended.

It was awesome fun dicing with you! If I were from Boston it would be "wicked fun" :)

Edited by KDJones2000
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, KDJones2000 said:

Greg, it was so much fun chasing you guys down for what felt like an hour, going nose to tail the entire time. You guys were able to match us on straightline speed, but we were just a little bit faster in the turns. You have done quite a bit to that car, and the results show it.

I was finally able to pass you, and was working on that red 260Z car went our race effectively ended.

It was awesome fun dicing with you! If I were from Boston it would be "wicked fun" :)

If you're talking about the stint during which your car was caught up in the Miata spin - we had Joe Siam in the car then. My teammates and I were watching when that happened and it was a sad situation for you guys. Our driver had just enough time to react and evade. I drove the first 2-hour stint and had a great time!   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KDJones2000 said:

Kudos to the VW Jetta for placing 3rd! Not the fastest car out there, but drivers and fuel were the only things they stopped for. It shows that Bob doesn't know everything

I can only see this as reinforcing what Bob is trying to call attention to. 
While the data is incomplete, what I see is the car with the fastest time won and a FWD car ran a great race and still was 4 laps down.

But this is not great data to try and conclude anything on, Nobody knows what it would take to reduce the lap times of the Jetta by two or three seconds and if it could be done within the rules. 

But definite congrats to the Jetta team, definitely punching above their weight.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, widgetsltd said:

If you're talking about the stint during which your car was caught up in the Miata spin - we had Joe Siam in the car then. My teammates and I were watching when that happened and it was a sad situation for you guys. Our driver had just enough time to react and evade. I drove the first 2-hour stint and had a great time!   

That's it. Lot's of fun running with Joe.

• Like 1

Here is the replay from our in-car live streaming for the first 90 minutes or so. The phone got hot and started shutting down after this:

https://live.racecast.me/profile/kdjones2000

This is the Hot Pits camera:

https://live.racecast.me/profile/kdjones2

I will put up some more video in a day or so, including us taking out the Miata that spun in front of us on the carousel. At least it was good entertainment for the people watching the race :o

On 10/10/2016 at 0:29 PM, KDJones2000 said:

Kudos to the VW Jetta for placing 3rd! Not the fastest car out there, but drivers and fuel were the only things they stopped for. It shows that Bob doesn't know everything

On 10/10/2016 at 7:47 PM, Superdave said:

I can only see this as reinforcing what Bob is trying to call attention to. 
While the data is incomplete, what I see is the car with the fastest time won and a FWD car ran a great race and still was 4 laps down.

But this is not great data to try and conclude anything on, Nobody knows what it would take to reduce the lap times of the Jetta by two or three seconds and if it could be done within the rules. 

But definite congrats to the Jetta team, definitely punching above their weight.

We (the Jetta guys) don't know Bob.  Can someone enlighten us about him and what he's been saying?

That being said, thanks for the compliments!  

On 10/10/2016 at 4:12 PM, widgetsltd said:

Los Cerdos Voladores (neon) team captain Greg here. I found the lack of timing & scoring data for the first 8 hours of the race to be extremely frustrating. I can't figure out how the #966 Jetta got to be 6 laps in front of us. While in Impound, I spoke briefly with one of the guys from the #966 Jetta team, and he said something to the effect that he thought that we were in front of them all day. At least, that's what I think he said. Lacking any data to make my point, I didn't raise the issue with Bill or any other Chump officials. I sure hope that the T&S electronics are working well at Laguna Seca next month.    

You are correct, we spoke after the event.  When we checked timing (via my teammates phone) it looked as though you were ahead of us by 5-6 laps.  This was around 8 hours into the race.  I was told later that your team had one more stop after I hopped in the car (I was the last driver).  I guess this could have made some of the difference, or maybe what we were reading via the phone was inaccurate???  In the end I hope that the timing system tracked everyones laps correctly.  We were thrilled to get a podium, but we always want to win based on real achievement.

I want to say thanks to a few teams that gave us some pointers when building our Jetta ( 3Gsgtskid, & Chiefidiot).

We had a great time, and really loved the CC comunity - great people and great racing!!!
See you at the next one.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, quinnthompson said:
We (the Jetta guys) don't know Bob.  Can someone enlighten us about him and what he's been saying?

Blind as a bat... I've been sleeping with his wife for years. :P

He's a nice guy, helluva fabricator,  Soccer style kicker graduated from Collier High June 1976, Stetson University honors graduate class of 1980, holds 2 NCAA Division One records, one for most points in a season, one for distance, former nickname "The Mule," the first and only pro-athlete ever to come out of Collier County and one hell of a model American.  

Edited by Ham Sammich
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, quinnthompson said:

Well he says a lot, but this is referring to how he was telling that the stats show that FWD is at a distinct disadvantage and how it is almost necessary to be very close to FTD to have a chance to win.

And for the most part, I agree.  However, my team can run our FWD car fast enough to podium and get in some really good racing while spending far less money than it would take to campaign a win (in the dry) capable car.