Barber videos

elongoran

Found this little gem while perusing our race video from Saturday. Our least experienced driver celebrates a personal best sub-1:55 lap time [1:54.821], first time at Barber ever in their first stint. If 'he' sounds a little girly, it is because she is a girl. Then again I've made some high pitched sounds in the car myself.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Five Benjamin Racer said:

These three videos are the entire Sunday race for us,

Sunday session 1:

Sunday session 2:

Sunday session 3:

Funny after all these years to finally get to talk about the contact I had at Daytona with one of your drivers.  That was a lesson learned on my behalf and has made me a better driver because of it.   Great win guys, enjoyed the time we had at impound !

Just watched some of the last stint, good to know at least I wasn't the only one driving off track that day !   :)    

Edited by Evilwheel

16 minutes ago, SlysdexicRacing said:

HAha, those dive bombs are gonna catch ya up one day, the orange Miata almost didn't see ya and ya hit the Mustang.  He could have done worse than to give ya love tap to show he wasn't happy about it.     

And at 8:15 you got no one to be mad at but yourself, way wrong position for that corner.   I know as I did the exact same stupid maneuver and ran off track there too.      Lessons learned I hope.    Good stuff.

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, Evilwheel said:

HAha, those dive bombs are gonna catch ya up one day, the orange Miata almost didn't see ya and ya hit the Mustang.  He could have done worse than to give ya love tap to show he wasn't happy about it.     

And at 8:15 you got no one to be mad at but yourself, way wrong position for that corner.   I know as I did the exact same stupid maneuver and ran off track there too.      Lessons learned I hope.    Good stuff.

QFT.

@SlysdexicRacing Gesturing angrily doesn't solve anything. Be happy you aren't in the wall. and concentrate on doing the next corner / pass / lap without doing things which will jeopardize your team's chances of completing the 15 hour race.

• Like 9

Just started watching these myself so I can't comment much.    I do know I wave a lot at other drivers, sometimes to the point of blowing corners.  Something I need to work on as I like to do it often.   I know I went off track 2 or 3 times ( not from waving mind ya ) in the vids, and miss a couple of gears, just neutral pops downshifting.   Lots of hand gestures of me talking to myself in the car, don't have a clue as to what I was thinking on some of them now. :)    Few spins I know were caught on camera, and the good stuff mostly comes towards the last hour of the race as always the level of adrenaline ramps up with everybody.    I think I pass all of the front runners one time or another so if ya look for yourself you should be there.   The clock in the car ( far left ) is accurate to race time.    And lastly I love this camera  position, you can see my foot work, my eyes in the mirror, its just about perfect short of seeing behind better.     Enjoy the ride in the GT30 !      

Well, trying to post these in order is a PITA.  I can't get it on here correctly so this is the link to all of them.    To watch in order click play list in the top left and the order is 4, 6. 2, 5, 3, 1, 7       Sorry, will try to get this in one 2 hour block next time.    Confused as to the problem of copying and pasting, usually easy.   Whatever, it's late. 

Edited by Evilwheel
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Evilwheel said:

Any Black Flags with the contact??   Looks like someone needs to back off to just one espresso with his bowl of frosted sugary sugar bombs in the morning.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

Any Black Flags with the contact??   Looks like someone needs to back off to just one espresso with his bowl of frosted sugary sugar bombs in the morning.

Pinky needs some anger management.  Stay cool, put in the laps...

Edit: Didn't notice two different drivers.  Carbon helmet guy was surprised when the Mustang took a shot at him?

Edited by tommytipover
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Unknown, SkysdexicRacing will have to answer that queston.    I know Mike M wasn't really happy about the on track activities from Sat. during Sunday's drivers meeting.   The penalty system ramped up for Sunday with a 5 min hold for contact, then a 10 min hold for the second offense with a driver change, and the 3rd offense was to load it on the trailer.

10 hours ago, Evilwheel said:

My thoughts exactly. @SlysdexicRacing take this as constructive criticism but some of the driving looks like stuff you do in a video game, real life racing is slightly different. Those dive bombs will work until someone doesn't see you coming and it will end in tears.

• Like 5

Hey guys, the other Slysdexic Racing driver here,

I agree our divebombs can be excessive and my only attempt at justification, as most of the divebombs were mine, was that what you're seeing in that video is mostly from the very beginning of the race and I had never driven the track before so when I got clear track into Charlotte's I braked where I knew the car could handle it but not where I should have for traffic, especially chumpcar traffic. I do accept the constructive criticism and overall was pleased with people's awareness in the car. It's hard for us having very little speed and power to make our way around the track in a manner in which we can win as there are often 20-30mph closing speeds in the corners since we can brake so late and carry so much speed through the turns.

I'll speak for my co-driver here and say it can be excruciatingly frustrating to be parked every corner by a car, seemingly without them checking their mirrors once, but, again, we accept the criticism.

As for black flags we did not get one for hitting the Mustang, I admit that was my fault, I should have known that's how he would take the corner and just back it off, if I was to defend my actions I would once again say that was one of the first times I'd had clean track into Charlotte's, so I'm claiming ignorance? I was quite unhappy with his retaliation, however, I understand he was unhappy that I had tapped him into Charlotte's but I mean come on, what looked like a love tap was really a 15mph shunt that easily could have taken both of us out. If you're unhappy with what happened come talk to me in the pits, punch me in the face Clarkson style if you must but don't take my car out.

Last thing I'll touch on is the video game vs real life driving, this I don't totally agree with but to each his own. To defend how I drive, at least, is I am driving to win overall, taking into account the endurance aspect of course. With 110bhp, an open diff, terrible suspension design and VW reliability we have to drive 9/10ths 110% of the time. I am not hating on anyone here, it is just statement of facts, we are having to drive around much slower people in faster cars A LOT. We get annihilated on the straights and annihilate in the corners, that's just the dynamic of having the point system BoP. We get a lot of the "well if they're going to pass you on the straights don't try to pass them in the corners" this would work if we weren't trying to win, but we are. We can't just go for a Sunday drive and hang back, with our car dynamics we have to make some risky maneuvers to get the biscuit (trophy). I'll accept and return any comments on this.

Anyways, we enjoyed the event and hope we didn't diminish anyone else's enjoyment. Thanks to the staff for the great event and thanks to all of you for being so passionate about it.

- Evan

25 minutes ago, SlysdexicRacing said:

Last thing I'll touch on is the video game vs real life driving, this I don't totally agree with but to each his own.

The difference is in video games, stupid moves don't result in bent cars/injured drivers.

You'll notice that the fast AND safe drivers think and plan ahead. Sometimes you have to back off 10% at corner entry so you can make a safe pass at corner exit. The fast and stupid drivers just chuck the car in wherever they can and force the other car to avoid a crash. In the video you guys are the later.

• Like 3

Sorry, should have clarified, there is most definitely a difference between game and real life driving, I just don't agree that I was driving like a video game. We had one incident in 15 hours of driving. I plan all of my passes ahead, however, lots of people are unpredictable on track, especially in brake zones, so I had to make a few split second decisions, those decisions are what makes a good driver good. I made one bad decision with the mustang but I never claimed to be pro so I accept that.

Edited by SlysdexicRacing

17 hours ago, SlysdexicRacing said:

Holy frack. 

Seriously, it's an endurance race. Fifteen hours! It's not won in a single corner or on a single lap. There's a lot of low percentage maneuvers going on there for your team and every other team you are ping-ponging around.

Watch the Jacky Ickx guys. They do well and NEVER have to pull maneuvers like that. That's just unnecessary. 

We will definitely keep our eyes peeled at Road Atlanta for you guys because I'd hate to see our crap get wadded up over asshattery.

Going for the win? You can't possibly keep driving like that up in an endurance race and expect a win. Meanwhile, our slow ass truck finished 17 spots ahead of you without all of that craziness.

Hope this was a learning experience for you guys.

• Like 6

I will cut the Waffle House guys a little slack.   We have raced with them several times and been around them on track a bunch and they have always left plenty of room to maneuver.  Now his video does show a couple high risk, low benefit moves (Mustang hit, not cool), but their driver has already said  they will take the constructive criticism and move on.  Lets give them that opportunity.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, CWag27 said:

I will cut the Waffle House guys a little slack.   We have raced with them several times and been around them on track a bunch and they have always left plenty of room to maneuver.  Now his video does show a couple high risk, low benefit moves (Mustang hit, not cool), but their driver has already said  they will take the constructive criticism and move on.  Lets give them that opportunity.

Fair enough, but if waffle batter gets splattered all over my truck, there's going to be words. ?

Edited by TacomaJPP
  • Like 2