A little more info about window banners number plates etc.

Good morning fellow Chumps.  I wanted to take a moment to share some examples of what we have been working on for the 2017 season.  As as frequent forum follower, I have noticed quite a bit of discussion and questions regarding the window banners and sponsor decals etc.  We have been working on getting these printed up so I took some time yesterday to take a few photos to share with the group.

Here is an example of what the window banner will look like on our new E36 we are working on.  I cannot speak for Mike, but we as the sponsor have no issues sharing the banner space, allowing folks to have other logos there as well.

You will also see pictures of our fenders with the old stickers, and the new sponsor panel.  I don't know if Chumpcar wants to mandate if they go in front of the number panel or not, but they fit nicely on both of our cars just behind the front wheel well and was much easier to apply then the multiple stickers we had.

I also included a picture of the overlay of the new logo to be used on existing number panels with before and after pictures.  It is worth noting that if someone had their own panel made (like we did) we may need to get the exact measurements of their panel to make sure the patch covers the old logo correctly.  We made patches to cover the Chumpcar supplied panels exactly.

On another note, Mike and I discussed the concept and both thought it would be a cool idea to create small event specific stickers for each race.  Each sticker would be unique for each race and folks can put them on their car like WWII pilots with kills, or their tow vehicle or whatever.  I thought I would reach out to the membership for ideas/suggestions for the theme/artwork ideas for each race.  With RA and Sonoma coming up shortly, please list your ideas asap and we will see what we can make happen.

We are also working on a few tutorials on how to best apply graphics like the number panels, or if someone wants a set of logos for their car as there is a bit of a technique to doing it correctly to avoid wrinkles/bubbles.  We are also working on some visuals on what we can and can't do on helmet wraps.  Imagine trying to put a bumper sticker of a billiard ball, it's impossible to do with one sheet and images get stretched and distorted at some point. As such, we need to do multiple panels to end up with a decent product, but makes it almost impossible to have a single image stretched across the entire helmet.  

Let me know if you have any questions or comments and I'll do my best to address them.

Justin

IMG_0011-1.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0005-1.JPG

IMG_0001-1.JPG

IMG_0006-1.JPG

IMG_0003-1.JPG

IMG_0002-1.JPG

• Like 3

• Technical Advisory Committee

Justin,

Thanks for the post and for paying attention.

I have a few comments

1.  Can you make the logo on the number panel bigger?  Notice how the old logo is legible, and the new one is too small to read with the pictures you have?

2.  I HATE the windshield banner.  Im sorry to complain so vocally, but this requirement is taking $ straight out of my pocket, with no "visible" benefit to me.

a. Again, the logo is too small to read.  I would have gone with CHUMPCAR/RVA GFX in letters to take the whole width of the windshield.  

b. The color needs to compliment the car.  Only Orange/White/insertcolor  will make some cars look terrible

c. The size needs to compliment the car.  Too big or Too small (Graphic, as well as height) will make some cars look terrible

3.  Are the side panel sponsor logos mandatory?  Can we keep our individual stickers, as long as the same logos are present?  Personally, I think it looks great on your E30 with the white background. I think it looks awful on the E36 with the black paint.  My car is White on the passenger side, so it will look fine there.  On the driver side, I have Purple, Blue, and Red, in addition to the white base.  It is going to look out of place.   Another option would be to print them on various color backgrounds.  Again, sizing and placement are going to need to vary by car.  A miata may not have room in front of the number panel to place it on the car, width or height wise.  Can we cut the decal into various pieces?

I like the idea of event stickers!  I would go with track map outlines with the date and the chump logo (just the 3-way arrows).  I am personally a fan of single-layer cut-vinyl as it seems to hold up well over time.  I would love to get 3-4 stickers - one for the car, one for the tool box, one for the truck.  Its a great idea!

Thanks

Chris

• Like 2

Hey guys team Bandit here with a quick question. What is it exactly that these sponsors do for each team? We have only been Racing for the past 3 to 4 years and have seen zero benefit from any sponsor from any of the racing series. Don't get me wrong we don't mind having sponsor stickers on the car they look pretty neat, but the more I think about it the more I realize I don't need to have any sponsor stickers on our car because they're not sponsoring us. Don't take this the wrong way but forcing us to have name brand stickers without any benefit to us as a team, makes no sense, especially if we have to buy any of these sponsor stickers. You would think that if they wanted their sticker on any of the cars they would pony up and at least supply the silly little stickers. Anyway no harm no foul, just an observation. Don't take my questioning as a negative comment. Thanks

I agree on the panel patch needing to be larger, working on that.  I cannot comment of what is or is not mandatory, that is up to ChumpCar.  As such the window banner is not my call but it is provided at no cost to the racer and unless someone has an exclusivity clause with whomever they convinced to be a sponsor (congrats on that BTW)  then couldn't the paying sponsor appear to the right or left of the Chump logo?

I yield to Mike as to wether folks can cut of the sponsor panel and distribute the individual logos as they wish.  And while I don't disagree with you on colors, it would quite difficult to Chump to provide decals that would match each livery, and what matches is subjective as well. 

Keep in mind we can do most anything one can come up with regarding decals and if it is approved by ChumpCar and the individual wants to cover the costs to do so, were game.  

• Like 2

Awesome, thanks Justin.  Pretty interested to see these Helmet wraps!

@Bandits I have no idea what we are getting in terms of back room support (i.e. do they help cover the cost of crew radios for the series, cover cost of track rental, etc).  But I will say, that the sponsors I have dealt with so far (Perry Auto, Sampson Radios and Frozen Rotors) have all be great to deal with, understood the needs of a chump racer and gave some great deals on the things we have bought from them.  So if even that is the only way they are supporting the series, I am happy to have their logos on our car.

Big +1 on the readability of the logos and the large white sponsor sticker being just kind of awful for most cars.

We are getting a benefit from these sponsors by helping keep the entry fees down and usually they offer some sort of discount to racers of the series.  You can put whatever paid sponsor you want on your car 20X the size if you want but I don't think there are any organized series of any consequence that don't have at least a few required stickers.

Love the event stickers - give one per entry for the car and sell additional until they run out,

Edited by jahnmel
  • Like 2

Just now, JDChristianson said:

I would guess "no". The sponors would disappear on certain cooled cars. 

Just like the individual stickers though, the designers will border them as appropriate.. essentially just printing them on a single clear sheet for easy application.

• Technical Advisory Committee
18 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Hey guys team Bandit here with a quick question. What is it exactly that these sponsors do for each team? We have only been Racing for the past 3 to 4 years and have seen zero benefit from any sponsor from any of the racing series. Don't get me wrong we don't mind having sponsor stickers on the car they look pretty neat, but the more I think about it the more I realize I don't need to have any sponsor stickers on our car because they're not sponsoring us. Don't take this the wrong way but forcing us to have name brand stickers without any benefit to us as a team, makes no sense, especially if we have to buy any of these sponsor stickers. You would think that if they wanted their sticker on any of the cars they would pony up and at least supply the silly little stickers. Anyway no harm no foul, just an observation. Don't take my questioning as a negative comment. Thanks

In years past I know at the Chumpionship events sponsors gave out some great products. In 2016 I don't think  this happened. I also know that places many of the companies sponsoring chump car give discounts to chumps. Cometic gasket is / was a Great sponsor, and helped teams out quite a bit. 

Edited by red0
  • Like 1

What do sponsors do for us?  Good question. Pay money to the series, so the series can exist.   

More specifics would be good, especially since we are supposed to be a club...which brings up another question?  Were financials ever published to the membership?

Edited by JDChristianson
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bandits said:

I know I'm speaking for myself, but if I want to race, I wear the series sponsor colors.  Simple.

Sponsors are of the series... any "benefit" or discount a sponsor chooses to give the racers is purely a bonus.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xph said:

Just like the individual stickers though, the designers will border them as appropriate.. essentially just printing them on a single clear sheet for easy application.

this way we have something to wish for I guess.    Wish in one hand...poo in the other.   Which one fills up faster?? ;)

Every race I have ever been to has had sponsors somewhere, whether a banner tied to a fence, on a shirt, jacket, whatever.  This is all events I have been to whether running, road bicycle, mountain bike, car, etc.  Sponsors are in place to help make the event happen, whether prizes, discounts, cash or equipment to help make event.  

My personal benefit is not usually something that I can hold in my hand and take home, it is usually the assurance that the event will proceed. 

I have stuff with Ferrari on it but I don't see a Ferrari in my garage.  Stuff with Asics on it but all my Asics stuff I have I bought.  I do have an Ibis in my garage that was a partial sponsor.  

• Like 2

Our [Chumpcar official] 2016 number panel has the Chumpcar logo without the previous sponsor. In you last photo, it looks like the white space around the new patch is too large and will encroach on our numbers. It looks like the solution to a lot of these is going to be cutting up the provided decals. We know we're gonna have to trim the windshield banner too. We're not the vinyl pros, so I'm concerned your resulting image is going to look less professional when everyone starts chopping things up.

We also share the preference for individual sponsor stickers, placement is easier not harder and the white background won't look good. We're going to try to retain the look we have.

Finally, I agree with the comments above about readability. Tiny text isn't going to give good media exposure. Look at your own pictures. It looks like "RUN" ? Can't read it.

MiataStickers.jpg

• Like 1

1. Love the idea of event stickers.

2. I like the idea of having the chump logo on a windshield banner, BUT, could it have a different background than white?  Our OD green with red trim car is going to look really weird with a white windshield banner. The current one is black and it fits the car well.

3. Readability is important as many have said.

4. Will support and do anything that Chump needs us to do to keep the series affordable and healthy.

Ricky, Flying Tigers

• Like 3

Justin:

1. Love the idea of "race specific" decals. I think one per team at registration with the opportunity to buy more at a reasonable price (and I don't mean $10 each).  My suggestion is a track outline with the name of the event, date and track name.

2. What's up with the windshield banner? I was under the impression that there weren't going to be fender decals anymore, and that the windshield banner would have all the series sponsors on it. If the windshield banner is just going to say "RVA Graphics / ChumpCar World Series" on it, then the logo needs to be larger / longer. You can't tell what it says from a distance.  

3. If we're going to have to have fender decals, then I'm with the rest of these guys who would rather have individual decals instead of a "strip" due to the compound curves on most of these cars. The "Lifeline", "Wilwood" and "OMP" decals need to have a white background - especially since the red lettering will disappear on our red car.

4. My number one question... Who's going to apply the banners and number panel decals at the track? Somebody gonna be able to help us out with that?

IMG_20161112_163935654.jpg

The fender decal should have been printed on transparent vinyl.  With the white background, it's going to look dumb on anything other than a solid white fender.  
Can we cut out the sponsor logos off the background and apply them in the same relative position on the fender (same order top-to-bottom, same spacing between stickers)?  

I understand the desire for uniform appearance, like what they do with the NASCAR sponsor package decals.  But note how they don't conflict with the car's livery.  

I will miss not being able to have a unique windshield banner because it helps identify the car coming in to pits.  

• Like 4