Jump to content

Laguna Seca, July 14-16


Slugworks Paul
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've never been to Laguna Seca and I'm new to the area but looking forward to the race.

Who's Going?

 

Some of my current questions:
1. Do we have to register separately for the practice day on friday?
2. I assume exhaust volume will be strictly enforced, any tips for me on that?

3. The supps say no power available in the pits or paddock. I assume i'll definitely need to bring a generator?

Very excited!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
1 hour ago, Slugworks Paul said:

I've never been to Laguna Seca and I'm new to the area but looking forward to the race.

Who's Going?

 

Some of my current questions:
1. Do we have to register separately for the practice day on friday?
2. I assume exhaust volume will be strictly enforced, any tips for me on that?

3. The supps say no power available in the pits or paddock. I assume i'll definitely need to bring a generator?

Very excited!

 

Bring a generator for sure. They take noise very seriously. Previous Laguna threads have some ideas on that  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The sound meter station is on driver's right so your exhaust exit should point to the left side of the car.  The meter is operated by the track and is always in operation.  Sound travels the same way waves move in water, sound dissipates with the square of the distance.  Pointing your exhaust to the left will solve a bunch of problems, louder car may install a second muffler.  Pointing up is effective as well, but you don't want the sound to bounce off the rear of the car and amplify the noise so this method should exit above the tail of the car allowing the sound to dissipate in 360 degrees instead of 180.

 

They have to catch you alone.  Get caught once and you can come in for repairs.  Get caught again and you can come in for repairs.  Get caught a third time and you are on the trailer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Ron_e said:

The sound meter station is on driver's right so your exhaust exit should point to the left side of the car.  The meter is operated by the track and is always in operation.  Sound travels the same way waves move in water, sound dissipates with the square of the distance.  Pointing your exhaust to the left will solve a bunch of problems, louder car may install a second muffler.  Pointing up is effective as well, but you don't want the sound to bounce off the rear of the car and amplify the noise so this method should exit above the tail of the car allowing the sound to dissipate in 360 degrees instead of 180.

 

They have to catch you alone.  Get caught once and you can come in for repairs.  Get caught again and you can come in for repairs.  Get caught a third time and you are on the trailer.

 

My car only has the spinny muffler, I think I need to add another one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The pits and garages have had plenty of power whenever we've been there, but it's probably not something listed in CC's contract so they mention that to be safe. The paddock is just an open lot, so no power there unless you run a cord all the way to the garages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The pit wall has maybe a handful of outlets strewn down the row.  You can hopefully get a pit box right there or beg other teams to let you run an extension off a power strip.

 

To echo @Ron_e about the exhaust, DO NOT MESS AROUND.  Make sure you do some smart phone testing ahead of time and bring an extra muffler to clamp on as well.  Many cars have been told to park it for sound, and its non-negotiable 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What do most teams do for camping at Laguna?

 

It looks like you can camp overnight in the paddock (dry camping), or get a campsite just outside of the track and have electrical and nonpotable water.

 

We were thinking of getting a campsite, but don't want to be the odd team out, if everyone else is going to be in the paddock or at hotels.

 

Also, the supps have no mention about renting a garage space. are these not available for the weekend? I know other orgs allow for garage rentals.

Edited by KDJones2000
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2017 at 0:56 PM, KDJones2000 said:

What do most teams do for camping at Laguna?

 

It looks like you can camp overnight in the paddock (dry camping), or get a campsite just outside of the track and have electrical and nonpotable water.

 

We were thinking of getting a campsite, but don't want to be the odd team out, if everyone else is going to be in the paddock or at hotels.

 

Also, the supps have no mention about renting a garage space. are these not available for the weekend? I know other orgs allow for garage rentals.

 Team UBoot Rennenwerks has a campsite for the weekend.  The paddock can be tough to sleep in if someone is pulling an all nighter...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Camp sites are awesome. We did that we we went, but schedule it NOW.

also look at Air B&B or renting homes for the team. Chump Staff do that and we saved a ton of cash.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Camp sites are awesome. We did that we we went, but schedule it NOW.

also look at Air B&B or renting homes for the team. Chump Staff do that and we saved a ton of cash.

 

Tough  time of year to book an AirBnB so close to race weekend.  We tried...found nothing to fit our needs.

Campsites aren't too tough as long as there isn't a "big event" going on.  I guess we are a small to medium event.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Just in case that's not enough track time, I just got an email from Allen Berg Racing Schools that they are having a track day on the 13th. We did their track day before the 3 day race we did at MRLS in 2015 and found it to be very helpful since none of us had been there before.

 

https://www.allenbergracingschools.com/road-cars/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...