Jump to content

Sunroof question


greenyone
 Share

Recommended Posts

I know this topic has likely beaten down, however I can't find a solid answer to my question.  We are building an E36 that has the factory metal sunroof panel.  Can it be left in place but closed or does it need to be welded, screwed, or otherwise permanently attached to the car?  I'm having a hard time finding out what satisfies the rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

 

Please don't troll the guy.  Sunroof coverings are points-free safety equipment.

 

Don't replacement body materials have to be the same material and thickness?  It use to be in the rules, not sure if it still is.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

 

Don't replacement body materials have to be the same material and thickness?  It use to be in the rules, not sure if it still is.  

 

Yes, but in practice that rule is interpreted to not apply to the sunroof covering, since it's a chump-required safety equipment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

Needs to be bolted, welded, riveted, or otherwise structurally integrated into the roof.  Simply closing it is insufficient. 

 

Rules say OE sunroof is fine, must be firmly attached...

 

9.6.1. All cars with sunroof and/or t-top openings must be covered by either a firmly attached removable hardtop, the original sunroof panel, or a fabricated metal panel secured and fixed in place. Alternately, they can be run as convertibles with the drivers wearing the required arm restraints or with a roof net installed on the vehicle

 

Further a glass sunroof is permitted if taped up for the first event...

 

9.1.2. For cars and/or teams NEW to ChumpCar (first event), cars MAY retain original window and/or sunroof glass provided: 9.1.2.1. ALL glass is properly and thoroughly taped.

 

 

The rules also have a spot that will allow for a roof net, if you choose to not run a panel...   or per 9.6.1 the panel must be "metal"  so no lexan..  but this only applies when removing or replacing the factory part.

 

8 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

 

Don't replacement body materials have to be the same material and thickness?  It use to be in the rules, not sure if it still is.  

 

You are correct there is no specific allowance for "free sunroof panel"  I would not expect to claim it...  We however switched to a non sunroof chassis because it was lighter; although may end up using one with a sunroof hole in the future, we might be inclined to use steel just so we didnt need to reinforce it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Note for the rule lawyers..  in my reply...

 

11 minutes ago, Xph said:

 

Rules say OE sunroof is fine, must be firmly attached...

 

9.6.1. All cars with sunroof and/or t-top openings must be covered by either a firmly attached removable hardtop, the original sunroof panel, or a fabricated metal panel secured and fixed in place. Alternately, they can be run as convertibles with the drivers wearing the required arm restraints or with a roof net installed on the vehicle

 

 

The firmly attached note is my own...  the rule specifically notes the removable hardtop must be firmly attached, it doesnt indicate how the original sunroof panel must be attached.  My assumption here is the original sunroof must be attached with the original DOT legal attachment system (ie rails, motors ect)..  if you remove this to save weight then yes, absolutely you need to glue screw / rivet it in place...

 

The intent of the rule is to keep your limbs in the car during a rollover, and to prevent debris from entering...  (safety)..  so expect to make it safe and it will be fine...  expect to get a pass on materials as long as no one could argue it serves any other purpose...  Metal is fine, cloroplast, carbon fiber or lexan is not...

Edited by Xph
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, karman1970 said:

The previous version of the rules specifically exempted sunroof covers from material cost. I haven't looked for that in the current iteration.

 

Written or not, sunroof coverings up to and including Miata hard tops are exempt from material cost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Clueless Racing said:

We made a fiberglass piece molded from the original sunroof. It's riveted around the perimeter. This allows us to lay a bright light on top of it during night pit stops to light up the inside of the car.

It could be argued that your answer may not offer protection in a rollover allowing hands/arms to escape if the car were to deform and crumble/shed your fiberglass.

I would check with tech unless you run arm restraints.

 

Stick a tap lite inside the car for a dome light ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2017 at 10:17 AM, Clueless Racing said:

We made a fiberglass piece molded from the original sunroof. It's riveted around the perimeter. This allows us to lay a bright light on top of it during night pit stops to light up the inside of the car.

 

Have you had this through tech?  According to the rules you would need arm restraints..

 

we really wanted to use a lexan panel..  but the rules are pretty clear it must be metallic...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Xph said:

 

we really wanted to use a lexan panel..  but the rules are pretty clear it must be metallic...

The "metallic" part of that rule showed up within the last year or two, so it wouldn't surprise me if there are some fiberglass carryovers and tech may not catch it. 

Edited by enginerd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Xph said:

 

Have you had this through tech?  According to the rules you would need arm restraints..

 

we really wanted to use a lexan panel..  but the rules are pretty clear it must be metallic...

Made it through tech.  The inspector even commented on the nicely crafted piece.  Perhaps they will make us replace it with metal in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
11 hours ago, Clueless Racing said:

Made it through tech.  The inspector even commented on the nicely crafted piece.  Perhaps they will make us replace it with metal in the future.

 

If it made it through tech, then it made it through tech. If anything it would be a "fix it ticket" so I would not worry about it at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2017 at 2:21 AM, Clueless Racing said:

Made it through tech.  The inspector even commented on the nicely crafted piece.  Perhaps they will make us replace it with metal in the future.

 

22 hours ago, red0 said:

 

If it made it through tech, then it made it through tech. If anything it would be a "fix it ticket" so I would not worry about it at all. 

 

Lol, I remember our first race, scrambling to find a big piece of metal because the inspector didn't like our Lexan sunroof.  Ended up using a piece of 20ga galvanized steel we found in the HVAC section of the Ithaca, NY Lowes.  Tech inspector thought that was too thin also, but agreed to let us race if we ran the galvanized steel AND the lexan.  Kept it that way for 3 years.

 

Also remember somebody at that race telling me to go steal a bunch of license plates and stitch weld them into a panel.  Think they had an MR2...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...