Corner Worker Tragically lost her life this weekend.

All of the racing world lost a good friend this past weekend when Hazel Harrell was tragically killed working T7 at Road Atlanta during a WERA event. Details of the incident are still being investigated, but it appears she was struck by a racer while attending to a fallen rider on course. 
Most of us knew her working at T7 for many many years as that flag stand was right next to the spectator area. She will be missed greatly and the Brew Krewe Racing Team extends our condolences to her family and friends. Godspeed Hazel...

A donation site has been established to help her family through this difficult time.

https://www.gofundme.com/hazel-harrell

We challenge all the other ChumpCar racing teams as well as our fans and followers to match our small donation of $50.00. We couldn't do what we love to do without the corner workers and emergency staff on hand at the races...

Edited by Doc
Better description
  • Like 4

I'm in as well.  Although I'm bad with both names and faces, I instantly recognized her when I saw the photo.

We spend way more money on a race weekend than $50.    People like her spend hours on their feet looking out for us and making our crazy hobby possible.  Funerals are very expensive.  We Chumps need to demonstrate that we can rise to the occasion.....

-Glen

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skierman64 said:

Has anyone heard more on the details of this tragedy?  

Not much out there, even in local news:

While neither the track nor the sanctioning body has confirmed the exact details as to what happened, WERA CEO/president Evelyne Clarke issued the following statement on Harrell’s death to Roadracing World: 

Yesterday we lost Hazel Harrell, a woman who has worked Turn Seven for many, many years. She helped us staff the Corner Crew for our Cycle Jam this weekend. We will miss her and send our thoughts and prayers out to her immediate family and her racing family. We have a guardian angel on Turn Seven forever.

My prayers are also with the rider involved that he heals in body, mind and heart. He got caught up in something that was no fault of his.

Thanks for the donation @skierman64; It is appreciated.

• Like 1

A notice on the fundraising site:

Thank you for all the love and support you have shown to Hazel and her family. Her Memorial Service will be held Saturday June, 24, 2017, 11:30am at Hazel's "home away from home" Turn 7 Road Atlanta. All are invited to join us in a celebration of her life.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2017 at 4:51 PM, csadn said:

I want to know how she ended up in a position to get run into like that -- pardon the understatement, but that is a Major Screw-Up somewhere....

At dinner last night with some motorsports fanatic friends of mine I heard she lost her balance climbing over the guardrail...The first rider barely missed her, but the 2nd rider tucked in behind him did not have time to react and struck her. No more details other than that...

So sad. Not sure if the riders had slowed to the appropriate speed for yellow flag racing, but drives home the point on why it is so important for us to pay attention to each and every station as we pass and be solidly in control in a yellow flag situation.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2017 at 1:47 PM, csadn said:

I'm just surprised she was on-track at all -- every time I've seen a caution at a corner, the corner workers don't go out unless they have a pickup truck to shelter behind, or even a golf cart....

As I understand it things are different for motorcycle events.  That said, this is a perfect example of why you don't follow the guy in front of you very close when you catch up to them under yellow.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lenbo211 said:

As I understand it things are different for motorcycle events.  That said, this is a perfect example of why you don't follow the guy in front of you very close when you catch up to them under yellow.

No lie there....

20 hours ago, DEE DEE said:

This is the reason Watkins Glen doesn't allow their workers on track anymore and VIR code 35.  I've witnessed many cars flying by workers at VIR under local and full course yellows.  

Oh, my god... one of the PIR CC events under Ms. McCause, there was an instance of "three-wide past the safety truck"; I have *never* seen Ms. McCause *that* angry before....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, csadn said:

No lie there....

Oh, my god... one of the PIR CC events under Ms. McCause, there was an instance of "three-wide past the safety truck"; I have *never* seen Ms. McCause *that* angry before....

Yup, I think that one even had Greg a little wide eyed.

By the way, which car do you drive @csadn