Jump to content

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, xcrman said:

well...I got in the way of the M Bros with the CRX on Sunday morning. I passed a car on the outside and manage to clear the car quick enough to allow me to take my standard line through the corner. Unfortunately that line put me in front of a faster moving car that was blocked from view behind the car I just passed. Not sure what Greg and I could have done differently to avoid the situation

 

They're a great team of awesome drivers that have a blistering pace ... the driver probably didn't see you (view blocked by the white E30) or thought you'd stay wide and ride the outside down T2.

Edited by miatainium
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jav said:

 

Hey thewheelerZ,

 

do you have the video from your car's first stint on Saturday? I was in the 18 Junction civic and we had a pretty awesome battle! I will post a link to our onboard when it get's uploaded. thanks!

I do yeah, just need to get it processed.  Started sunday first as it was already on the memory card.  May get it done tomorrow.

2 hours ago, jav said:

 

Hey thewheelerZ,

 

do you have the video from your car's first stint on Saturday? I was in the 18 Junction civic and we had a pretty awesome battle! I will post a link to our onboard when it get's uploaded. thanks!

I do yeah, just need to get it processed.  Started sunday first as it was already on the memory card.  May get it done tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, here's the in-car clip from my stint in the M Brothers car. The incident happens at 1:36:20 and playing Monday morning QB on myself I was perhaps a bit ambitious with choosing that place to pass. I did think you would stay high longer but that clearly was a bad assumption. Really sorry we got together and glad we were both able to finish the race! Also apologies for the "vettel hand" post incident...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have video of the #18 Junction Civic that was pit-maneuvered into the concrete wall and got 3 feet shorter?   I think it happened at the top of T2 on Saturday around 12:30 to 1:30.

Edited by miatainium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We do. :P

 

The contact happened going into turn 2, just as the hill crests.  The other driver made a really ambitious move to our inside and the contact sent our car hard right.  The first thing he said to us was he knew he screwed up and it was his fault.  The second was asking about our driver, which we said he was ok but at the time he was suggested to go to the hospital just to get checked out (he was fine by the way and came back after). So, I got to give him credit for admitting fault, and at the end of the day, our driver was fine and that's what really matters in my mind.

 

poop happens, what can you do. As for the car - red E30s must not like it. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just talking to Ken, he's wondering if anyone else has a wider angle to see what happened.

 

#18 was definitely pounded good, no rise from the ashes there :(  I'm glad to hear the driver was checked out ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ratso70 said:

Hey guys, here's the in-car clip from my stint in the M Brothers car. The incident happens at 1:36:20 and playing Monday morning QB on myself I was perhaps a bit ambitious with choosing that place to pass. I did think you would stay high longer but that clearly was a bad assumption. Really sorry we got together and glad we were both able to finish the race! Also apologies for the "vettel hand" post incident...

 

 

Absoltely not your fault, you had the inside position before he came over.  You had established position and he came over on your without giving you racing room.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, I see. Yeah, Ken told me not too long ago the car is bad, so definitely no re-resurrection there. #18 was a good car to us, but I'm sure its replacement will be just as good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ratso70  I don't know how you could be faulted, but I can easily see how contact happened.  Hindsight is 20/20.  You came up on them pretty quick and the CRX didn't have much of a chance to see you.  If they had seen you, it probably could have been avoided, but crust happens.  (as in tuna, no crust.  Soooo crust = bad.  Maybe it's a stretch. #RIPPaulWalker, #IJustLearnedANewPhraseBeforePostingThisAndICouldn'tWaitToUseIt)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a wild and crazy (and awesome) weekend!  Thanks to Sal and Wendy, the rest of the Chumpcar crew and all of the marshals and safety people who did a great job.

Glad to see that we've already reached out regarding the incident with the CRX.  I myself had 2 in 1 stint which has never happened to me before and resulted in a new nickname for me in the team.  I have reached out to both drivers and as far as I can tell we are all good.  Minor damage and everyone continued on after the contact.

We really limped number 27 home on Sunday.  Lost 4th gear early in the afternoon and baked a half shaft with about 45 minutes remaining.  I'll try to post a brief clip, the noise is impressive.  Then we missed the podium ceremony.  Thought it was in classroom, duh.  A hearty Canadian "Sorry" for that one.  Lots of great racing out there, and so many nice folks in the pits and paddock.  We're looking forward to Calabogie!  VIR is next up for us.  It's our first 24 hour race, we'll try and do Chumpcar Canada proud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right or wrong in T2, as a team owner, I know how I would call that incident if it were one of my drivers.  As Zack says, hindsight is 20/20 but I like to err on the side of caution.  I.e. does that guy see me, am I sure he's seen me, what are the chances in this scenario that he hasn't?? Plus, the E30 would have taken the CRX easily before T3.  Though, just my 2 cents!

 

MBros drive fast and safe typically, so Im sure it was an honest mistake.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

Right or wrong in T2, as a team owner, I know how I would call that incident if it were one of my drivers.  As Zack says, hindsight is 20/20 but I like to err on the side of caution.  I.e. does that guy see me, am I sure he's seen me, what are the chances in this scenario that he hasn't?? Plus, the E30 would have taken the CRX easily before T3.  Though, just my 2 cents!

 

MBros drive fast and safe typically, so Im sure it was an honest mistake.

Agreed.  And our driver agree's too.  He's spoken to the other driver and to all of us on MBros.  Accidents happen and we will all learn from this incident and work to make better decisions moving forward.

Edited by BartMW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darryl here - the CRX driver that tangled with Greg from M-bros. Greg, thanks for being humble with your description of the event but the video from your perspective shows me taking your established line away and I'm surprised how close to being side by side we were when I cut over.  I simply did not know you were there and that is an awareness error on my end. I'm glad my move didn't interfere with your teams win and sorry for the action marks.

 

Darryl

 

Edited by xcrman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Driver of #18 during its length-reducing trip into corner two's concrete barrier here - I'm one sore banged-up racer! Nothing more serious than some heavy bruising though, I'll be ready to race again in a week or two.  Hans devices are god damn magic.  If anyone has any footage please post it - around the top of corner two, Saturday at about 1:30ish.  

 

@jav Man you were killing it during the first stint! I'm not nearly brave enough to take corner 4 flat :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, xcrman said:

Darryl here - the CRX driver that tangled with Greg from M-bros. Greg, thanks for being humble with your description of the event but the video from your perspective shows me taking your established line away and I'm surprised how close to being side by side we were when I cut over.  I simple did not know you where there and that is an awareness error on my end. I'm glad my move didn't interfere with your teams win and sorry for the action marks.

 

Darryl

 

I was really far left with the E30 between us so I knew it was very hard for you to see me. I thought I'd be by before it mattered! All good over here...see you at a race soon I'm sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BartMW said:

 

Glad to see that we've already reached out regarding the incident with the CRX.

Certainly makes *my* job easier.... ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Timos said:

Driver of #18 during its length-reducing trip into corner two's concrete barrier here - I'm one sore banged-up racer! Nothing more serious than some heavy bruising though, I'll be ready to race again in a week or two.  Hans devices are god damn magic.  If anyone has any footage please post it - around the top of corner two, Saturday at about 1:30ish.  

 

@jav Man you were killing it during the first stint! I'm not nearly brave enough to take corner 4 flat :)

 

 

 

Thanks buddy, glad to hear you're in good spirits after what I'm sure were a few sore days...ask me how I know...but hopefully we get a shot at redemption and chump glory at calabogie later this year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ken will probably throw a clip on it just like before.  Just find a donor car and weld a new front end on it again (thanks baron's)  I don't see a problem with above crx turned down.  There is art to letting people by and being aware out there.  It's hard to do and not crash yourself we had plenty of experience with this on the weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, xcrman said:

Darryl here - the CRX driver that tangled with Greg from M-bros. Greg, thanks for being humble with your description of the event but the video from your perspective shows me taking your established line away and I'm surprised how close to being side by side we were when I cut over.  I simple did not know you where there and that is an awareness error on my end. I'm glad my move didn't interfere with your teams win and sorry for the action marks.

 

Darryl

 

 

I highly recommend a convex mirror on the driver's side A pillar to eliminate/reduce that huge blind spot on the left side of the car.  Combine that with a convex rear view mirror and you get near 180 rear view coverage and elimination of blind spots.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-07-06 at 9:16 AM, jav said:

 

Hey thewheelerZ,

 

do you have the video from your car's first stint on Saturday? I was in the 18 Junction civic and we had a pretty awesome battle! I will post a link to our onboard when it get's uploaded. thanks!

 

@jav check this out! At the time I knew we went back and forth but  I didn't realize how long we battled for. You were a couple of cars ahead at the start and you pass me back for the final time at the 1:10 mark! Note the angry fist shake.... Damn you nemesis!!!! At 1:15 I got a black flag for pass under yellow (which I'm still not exactly sure where that was... and think it might have been one of the ones that was given in error that I heard about but I never followed up). That was fun on track and fun to watch over again!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, thewheelerZ said:

 

@jav check this out! At the time I knew we went back and forth but  I didn't realize how long we battled for. You were a couple of cars ahead at the start and you pass me back for the final time at the 1:10 mark! Note the angry fist shake.... Damn you nemesis!!!! At 1:15 I got a black flag for pass under yellow (which I'm still not exactly sure where that was... and think it might have been one of the ones that was given in error that I heard about but I never followed up). That was fun on track and fun to watch over again!

 

Great stuff, thanks for posting! I expected the angry fist shake as I snuck through using lapped traffic with an evil grin haha. Should have the video from my car in hopefully not too long. Thanks again, hope for a rematch at calabogie!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The #39 Yardsale Racing Blue Sunfire team had a good weekend overall.. There seemed to be a wider variety of makes and models out.. Not just BMW's, Civics, Miatas and Neons. I liked that. The car count was perfect for me.. It was 3 wide in turns a few times but not too crowded and also not much boring lonely nobody in my mirrors time either.

 

Saturday after 35 laps or so the clutch pedal wouldn't go down anymore. We also broke some pedal linkage trying to work it. We fixed the pedal and it seemed to work so back out we went but as the heat built it started locking up again. We verified the problem to be the throw out bearing. So we split the engine and trans and put in a used one. The one that locked up was new in a bag from the same kit as a clutch disc that had the friction material separate from the disc. (Was a $600 "perfection" kit made by Luc). We got it done just in time to enjoy the BBQ knowing it was ready to go for Sunday.

Sunday everything worked great. We should have unplugged our speed sensor to help with the pesky 173 km/h governor issue for the last 100m of the straight but we gotta save something to do next time to perpetuate speed creep. We tried the Falken Azenis RT 615K +  but whatever they did to them compared to the old 615K's I didn't like. We used the same size, pressure and camber that has worked on our rims at Mosport before but they rolled really bad. Right into the Azenis writing on the sidewall. We added 5 psi and they seemed to be better but lap times went down and the front left was corded after only 6.5 hours.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The Sunferrari said:

 

. We tried the Falken Azenis RT 615K +  but whatever they did to them compared to the old 615K's I didn't like. We used the same size, pressure and camber that has worked on our rims at Mosport before but they rolled really bad. Right into the Azenis writing on the sidewall. We added 5 psi and they seemed to be better but lap times went down and the front left was corded after only 6.5 hours.

 

 

 

I would suggest RS4. They've worked amazing for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes they were on my wish list.. From what I could make out from pictures, all 5 cars in impound were on RS4's at the May Calabogie race. We would have had to run 195 width RS4's on our 6 inch pizza cutter rims. .. Or buy a set of wheels to fit 225 width or whatever the next size up is in 15" but we're too cheap for that!    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×