Jump to content

Miata Exhaust Question


snowman
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

 

Newb here, finishing up my first build to debut at the Thompson race.  I'm looking to upgrade the exhaust and would like to hear what others are running or suggest.  It's a '93, so a 1.6.  I was looking at the MazdaSpeed and Springfield Dyno Spec Miata exhausts.  I know the Springfield Dyno is really loud, so not sure if that would be within the db limits at some tracks.  Anybody have any thoughts on either one, or other suggestions?  Thanks everyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mender said:

Borrowing from the H-D creed ...

not sure what that means, but we drive a car with a V8 that has decent compression, headers with a single 3.5" flowmaster knock off, and when I'm door to door with those guys (or even w/in a car or 2) I can't even hear myself think. How somebody can sit and race in a car that loud for 1.5+ hours is a mystery to me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

From my experience most Miata guys run the loudest most obnoxious exhaust they can find. 

 

Very true, at one race there was a really loud Miata out there and we ended up getting a noise black flag when running close to them, victim of rotary noise profiling…

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

not sure what that means, but we drive a car with a V8 that has decent compression, headers with a single 3.5" flowmaster knock off, and when I'm door to door with those guys (or even w/in a car or 2) I can't even hear myself think. How somebody can sit and race in a car that loud for 1.5+ hours is a mystery to me.

Harley-Davidson riders typically have open exhaust and chant "loud pipes save lives" to justify that, claiming that if someone hears them they won't get run over.

 

I think they just like being obnoxious. :P

 

Miatas in a race are just like yappy little dogs; they come out of nowhere and nip at your ankles, and when you try to kick at them they just bounce out of the way.

 

Edited by mender
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

From my experience most Miata guys run the loudest most obnoxious exhaust they can find. 

No we don't ....well I think it could be louder, maybe, if we put a megaphone sticking out another foot from the back.  Or maybe just 4 short pipes out the hood, that would be louder for sure.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Pinto mini-stock just had a straight pipe out the right side; ear-splitting at 7200 rpm. I know because I forgot my ear plugs a couple of times and even a 20 minute sprint race left my ears ringing for a while. It was crisp.

 

I'm pretty sure that contributed to my present hearing loss.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, mender said:

My Pinto mini-stock just had a straight pipe out the right side; ear-splitting at 7200 rpm. I know because I forgot my ear plugs a couple of times and even a 20 minute sprint race left my ears ringing for a while. It was crisp.

 

I'm pretty sure that contributed to my present hearing loss.

what?

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...