Jump to content

Why are helmet mounted cameras illegal?


Recommended Posts

There are many other attachment points in a car, why put it on a movable object that in an incident can get caught in straps, nets? Also, if for some reason you are put on a stretcher with a neck brace, it becomes a hassle for safety workers to remove. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Because getting a camera stuck in the window or center net sucks.

Attaching any device nullifies the helmet rating.

Getting a camera punched through the helmet into your brain looks cool in the movies, but really does not transfer well to real life.

 

Having already had a brain injury while racing in ChumpCar, I will fight against allowing cameras on helmets.

 

 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I strugggle with this rule. As a renter I want video but don't always have access to the car to hook up a go pro property. A helmet mounted camera seems like a great solution. I was informed from another racing organization (SCCA) that in addition to the risk @Bill Strong mentioned another is having additional mass on your head/reck. The additional mass will increases the amount of energy it takes for your head to deaccelerate in a crash. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah. I agree that the videos suck.  I have to laugh at the extra mass argument, because it can't be more than about a five percent increase (unless you are putting a Betamax on there).  That said, I agree with the comments about it getting stuck on things at a time that you need to be getting out.  

 

Jamie - you and I are similar in our renting patterns.  I don't have any problems getting a camera mounted in an "alien" car.  I just bring four or five types of mounts with me and I fly in early and install the correct mount in tech line, early in the morning before the race, etc.    if you have all of your mounts figured out and can pull the correct one out for the job, it can be pretty quick. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

Yeah. I agree that the videos suck.  I have to laugh at the extra mass argument, because it can't be more than about a five percent increase (unless you are putting a Betamax on there).  That said, I agree with the comments about it getting stuck on things at a time that you need to be getting out.  

 

Jamie - you and I are similar in our renting patterns.  I don't have any problems getting a camera mounted in an "alien" car.  I just bring four or five types of mounts with me and I fly in early and install the correct mount in tech line, early in the morning before the race, etc.    if you have all of your mounts figured out and can pull the correct one out for the job, it can be pretty quick. 

 

 

When I was at GM they were replacing all the test drivers helmets with CF ones to reduce the weight because they had crash studies showing significant enough differences. I am guessing that weight is less then a camera's. 

 

I just bought some fancy ram mount accessories for my phone and plan to rock that. Its just always a low priority for me to do pre race, I am typically busy talking poop and doing last second wrenching on @Miata PI's car. But I am going to make a effort to do it at Buttonwillow. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this rule needs to be treated like every other rule in the book...

 

What if I mount a piece of wood to my helmet. Rules don't say I can't. Then I mount a camera to the wood. It's not mounted directly to the helmet.

 

Or, the rules don't say I can't mount a GPS data device to my helmet. It happens to also take pictures, but I'm not calling it a camera.

 

Or, it's for safety. It allows live streaming to my team in the pits, where they can monitor everything and make it safer for me to race.

 

Etc.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TBone said:

I think this rule needs to be treated like every other rule in the book...

 

What if I mount a piece of wood to my helmet. Rules don't say I can't. Then I mount a camera to the wood. It's not mounted directly to the helmet.

 

Or, the rules don't say I can't mount a GPS data device to my helmet. It happens to also take pictures, but I'm not calling it a camera.

 

Or, it's for safety. It allows live streaming to my team in the pits, where they can monitor everything and make it safer for me to race.

 

Etc.

 

But, if you remove the piece of wood and replace it with a piece of Styrofoam you can deduct 50 points from your TVC15...  or whatever acronym you choose.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2017 at 9:59 PM, mindspin311 said:

GoPro mounted on my helmet for some karting fun

 

 

Where did you mount the gopro on your helmet? I did helmet mount on the side and that did not work well :-( This looks perfect, but my helmet has a visor and I could not operate the visor with the mount on the front of the helmet.

 

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2017 at 10:25 PM, 2kredz3 said:

Where did you mount the gopro on your helmet? I did helmet mount on the side and that did not work well :-( This looks perfect, but my helmet has a visor and I could not operate the visor with the mount on the front of the helmet.

 

Thank you!

This is on the side of the helmet, basically where my jawbone would be. Towards the front of the helmet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/19/2017 at 11:43 AM, jmabarone said:

Most of the IMSA ones attach on the visor and the INDY one appears to attach to the predrilled vent or duct holes on those helmets.  

I don't think anyone is suggesting or willing to drill into their helmets to mount a cam.  I know I'm not drilling into my Carbon Stilo.  But, some 3M double sided tape...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...