Simspade

Hi there, I've been asked about simulating the airflow of a specific racecar transport to figure out their potential savings for fuel mileage based on aero drag using some add-on parts. They rather dump the fuel into the racecar. If anyone is interested in something like that, shoot me a note with your truck and trailer brands and model year. This is mostly for those who haul over a few thousands miles a year. Perhaps some of us could benefit from the same tests. Thanks.

1 hour ago, rod rammage said:

Biggest gains are from getting the trailer up close to the cab of the tractor and reducing that gap between the two. My trailer can't move any farther forward for various reasons. Are you by any chance addressing this zone? 

Right now, they want to see the air around it all. They use a 2010 Chevy Tahoe with a 20-ft enclosed trailer.

In my first CFD class in college we had a project where the professor let us pick a vehicle of our choosing and try to improve its aero in some way. One of my classmates picked a semi and trailer, and he ended up reducing the drag by an almost unbelievable amount with some impractically-sized boat tails on the trailer.

2 hours ago, rod rammage said:

Biggest gains are from getting the trailer up close to the cab of the tractor and reducing that gap between the two. My trailer can't move any farther forward for various reasons. Are you by any chance addressing this zone? 

I've always wanted to attempt to develop a flexible barrier to go from the rear of the sleeper to the front of a box trailer and completely eliminate that air gap. Anyone have a million dollars or so to fund me with?

Here you go, read as much as you want... 

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/programs/environment-etv-menu-eng-2939.html

All of the super truck concepts use extensive aero with the trailer almost completely sealed to the tractor. Improved fuel efficiency in heavy duty trucks is an area of massive development these days, we are heavily involved obviously with more efficient solutions for the turbos but also other devices that are at least sort of related. Hybrid trucks are going to be a big thing in the near future. 

• Like 1

2005 Silverado 2500HD, diesel, 4WD, bumper towing a 28' flat-nosed trailer. Formerly open bed. Have a tonneau cover now, but not much towing with it in place.

I'll get anywhere from 9-13 mpg depending on speed and head wind. I keep thinking about getting an air speed gauge for fun.

1 hour ago, Simspade said:

Anyone else? Just to clarify, this is not necessarily about fifth wheels.

Your first post isn't exactly clear.  Are you looking for group funding to do a study, or just looking for what people have been achieving however unscientific they have been measuring it?

Yes, there are now a few guys looking to understand what can be gained from a scientific analysis. If you like to participate in funding it (PM me), you'll impact what will be tested and get to see a whole lot of details to save yourself some bucks at the pump. So the more we are with that same interest, the lower the cost. Can't really tell you more until we see who's interested and what's driven to the tracks...

1 hour ago, TBone said:

2005 Silverado 2500HD, diesel, 4WD, bumper towing a 28' flat-nosed trailer. Formerly open bed. Have a tonneau cover now, but not much towing with it in place.

I'll get anywhere from 9-13 mpg depending on speed and head wind. I keep thinking about getting an air speed gauge for fun.

That's pretty decent. At what speed?

I've found it's like hitting a wall at about 55 or so towing a flatnose with the Avi. Mileage goes off a cliff. And the Avalanche has the benefit of a covered box that is very high compared to a typical truck, covering a good bit of the trailer.

8 minutes ago, Bandit said:

That's pretty decent. At what speed?

I've found it's like hitting a wall at about 55 or so towing a flatnose with the Avi. Mileage goes off a cliff. And the Avalanche has the benefit of a covered box that is very high compared to a typical truck, covering a good bit of the trailer.

65-70. I rarely go over 70 with the trailer loaded. With the diesel, 65 seems to be the break point, loaded or unloaded. That's right at 2000 rpm.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TBone said:

65-70. I rarely go over 70 with the trailer loaded. With the diesel, 65 seems to be the break point, loaded or unloaded. That's right at 2000 rpm.

I don't tow a lot, but a Dmax will likely be my next truck.

Love the Avi but they don't make them anymore...

Edit- 75 is the breakpoint for unloaded. Marked difference from 74 to 78 average, so I generally set it at 74.

Edited by Bandit

• Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, TBone said:

Thats about what I get also.

2002 2500HD Diesel, 24ft V-Nose 10k trailer, truck loaded also with 2 guys and a seat full of gear and spares.  Got 11mpg trying to run 70ish.

I bet a the 06/07 w/ the 6spd get a bit more at the expense of having to shift often.  With the 5speed running 65-75 you can usually keep it in 5th if you play the hills right.

• 2 weeks later...