Transmission swap question

Johnpickard79

Hi,

I had a question regarding the transmission swap rule. The 2018 rules has it as:

 transmission / transaxle swap: 25pts for any trans. from a vehicle on the VPI list, includes adapters

Now, what about transmissions from a car not on the VPi list?  e.g. the 6 speed from a BMW 330i e46 into a 323i E46.

Since the donor car is not on the list, does this make the trans not legal for swapping into the car? or would it be a different process for declaring it for tech/different amount of points?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

That was.....   Interesting.  Well driven and good team.  They didn't follow the rules, but the car was no faster than the current fast teams....

And had no reservations about forcing three wide through 7 and 8... down the middle. /threadjack, sorry

10 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

That was.....   Interesting.  Well driven and good team.  They didn't follow the rules, but the car was no faster than the current fast teams....

And a 10 gallon fuel tank... A car would have to be really fast to make up the extra pit stops.

Seemed like there was an FCY or two every stint, that probably helped them out, but you can't count on that many FCY at most tracks.

Honda Fit is a bad car for racing (hence 100 VPI)... I'm impressed that they ran so well. Probably well set up and very well driven.

Edited by enginerd

The e46 5 speed is more durable than the 6 speed. It is also cheaper to replace. 1-5 are the same in both transmissions. 6th gear is of little use for racing because of the ratio. The SpecE46 guys have no issues running a 3.46 diff and the 5 speed at all the tracks they've been too.

So, why do you want to run the 6 speed?

Edited by jakks

It was just a question out of curiosity, as we have one sitting on the floor and were more curious if it could be used in case the two 5 speeds we have are ever junk. We have the 5speed/3.46 in it now and have no issues. We were just figuring out whether to keep the 6speed as potential spare or not. 

Edited by Johnpickard79

1 minute ago, jakks said:

It could but driveshafts are different as well, so there is that. You can sell the 6 speed and buy 2 5 speeds for almost same money. 

We have the driveshafts and stuff too, came out of a junk car. If it can't go in the chump car, looks like my autotragic daily driver will get a swap 😀

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Johnpickard79 said:

We have the driveshafts and stuff too, came out of a junk car. If it can't go in the chump car, looks like my autotragic daily driver will get a swap 😀

Converted wife's ZHP from auto. Well, I gathered all the parts and had a local shop do it.

• Technical Advisory Committee
13 hours ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

This is why the Honda Fit was moved to EC last weekend.  The engine package did not come from a car on the VPI list.

Correctamundo - The HP and everything was good, the engine was from a car not on the VPI list. To get out of EC, they will have to switch to the K20A2 from the RSX or petition to have the TSX K24A2 added to the VPI list. 

1 hour ago, red0 said:

Correctamundo - The HP and everything was good, the engine was from a car not on the VPI list. To get out of EC, they will have to switch to the K20A2 from the RSX or petition to have the TSX K24A2 added to the VPI list. 

Wait, a Fit with a K24?  Sounds like a recipe for a fun DD.