Rapido

Introduction to iRacing and Sim Hardware

I got a set of these for my swivel desk chair and it was very helpful:

http://a.co/9yXyQ7k

For what its worth I used to have a cockpit and now have a swivel. I prefer the swivel. Save your money and get a Oculus. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smithk1 said:

I ran iRacing on a $400 laptop with Intel integrated graphics prior to buying this desktop.  I ran minimal graphical details (no stands, no pit equipment), but it was still pretty good.  I'll see if I can track down the make and model to get you specifics, but this laptop wasn't anything special.

I think this is in my wheelhouse.  Sounds like I just need to turn things off to make it run alright.  Appreciate the input!

iRacing isn't the only game in town. It's been nearly a year since I did the Simulator roundup 2017 post on my blog https://wp.me/p5fKlA-qE but not much has changed (new Project Cars 2). So if you want some info on what else is out there, this may be a good reference.

One good thing about iRacing is that it doesn't take a very good GPU to play. Look up your video card here https://www.videocardbenchmark.net. I did most of my iRacing with a nVidia 9800 GT, which gets a Passmark score of 726. That's a really old card and iRacing did just fine. Another thing good about iRacing is that it has great tracks. Many of the ChampCar tracks are on there and they are all laser scanned. The major downside of iRacing is the cost. It's a lot of money. But it's cheaper than breaking real cars and therefore worth every penny. Another downside is the car selection. There just isn't much that fits ChampCar. There are a couple Miatas, Street Stock, Spec Racer Ford, and Jetta. The Solstice is a bit slow and the Mustang is a bit fast.

My simulator of choice is now Assetto Corsa. It's a one time fee and you can download tons of mods (cars and tracks) for free. There are all kinds of slower cars. Track selection isn't as good as iRacing, but there are many really great ones. GPU requirements aren't quite as low as iRacing, but they are low.

On the hardware side, I've used various Logitech systems in the past (Momo, G25, G27, Driving Force GT) but my current rig is a hybrid of various parts. My steering wheel is a Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer with a GT wheel (normally has a Formula style wheel). The pedals are from a G25, but mounted inverted in a homemade rig and the brake pedal has been replaced with a hydraulic unit.

If I was starting out today, and wasn't sure I wanted to make a huge investment in sim racing, I would start with whatever Logitech I could find used ($100), a refurbished computer from 4 years ago ($200), and Assetto Corsa ($30). It's like the cost of a track day and much more useful. Heck, I learned to heel-toe shift, trail-brake, drift, etc. entirely in simulation. You don't need a $500 wheel, $300 brake pedal, $2000 VR system, or a monthly subscription to reap the benefits of sim training.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bremsen said:

Um, whats this you say about DIY direct drive wheels? 

@Bremsen Here are some links about DIY wheels.  

http://opensimwheel.wikidot.com/

https://www.simracingbay.com/product/simucube-based-osw-kit-with-cm110-case/

I am using a 20NM Mige motor and love it.  One of my team mates built it for me before there were kits available.  If you get into building one and have specific questions I can get him to come here and answer any questions you have.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drKorf said:

iRacing isn't the only game in town. It's been nearly a year since I did the Simulator roundup 2017 post on my blog https://wp.me/p5fKlA-qE but not much has changed (new Project Cars 2). So if you want some info on what else is out there, this may be a good reference.

One good thing about iRacing is that it doesn't take a very good GPU to play. Look up your video card here https://www.videocardbenchmark.net. I did most of my iRacing with a nVidia 9800 GT, which gets a Passmark score of 726. That's a really old card and iRacing did just fine. Another thing good about iRacing is that it has great tracks. Many of the ChampCar tracks are on there and they are all laser scanned. The major downside of iRacing is the cost. It's a lot of money. But it's cheaper than breaking real cars and therefore worth every penny. Another downside is the car selection. There just isn't much that fits ChampCar. There are a couple Miatas, Street Stock, Spec Racer Ford, and Jetta. The Solstice is a bit slow and the Mustang is a bit fast.

My simulator of choice is now Assetto Corsa. It's a one time fee and you can download tons of mods (cars and tracks) for free. There are all kinds of slower cars. Track selection isn't as good as iRacing, but there are many really great ones. GPU requirements aren't quite as low as iRacing, but they are low.

On the hardware side, I've used various Logitech systems in the past (Momo, G25, G27, Driving Force GT) but my current rig is a hybrid of various parts. My steering wheel is a Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer with a GT wheel (normally has a Formula style wheel). The pedals are from a G25, but mounted inverted in a homemade rig and the brake pedal has been replaced with a hydraulic unit.

If I was starting out today, and wasn't sure I wanted to make a huge investment in sim racing, I would start with whatever Logitech I could find used ($100), a refurbished computer from 4 years ago ($200), and Assetto Corsa ($30). It's like the cost of a track day and much more useful. Heck, I learned to heel-toe shift, trail-brake, drift, etc. entirely in simulation. You don't need a $500 wheel, $300 brake pedal, $2000 VR system, or a monthly subscription to reap the benefits of sim training.

The primary difference between iRacing and Assetto Corsa (besides the cost) is the amount of experience you can gain actually racing against real people.

If you want to learn how to drive & how to hot lap, then Assetto Corsa is for you.

If you want to learn about racecraft against a very competitive community, then iRacing is for you.

I have owned Assetto Corsa since it came out in early access a long time ago. The tire model in iRacing has come a long since I joined it about 4 years ago. Up until one of the more recent iRacing tire models, I would have argued that the tire model in Assetto Corsa was better. I think it's safe to say that they're about equal now.

It's also important to note that Assetto Corsa does have online multiplayer, but it can't compete with iRacing at all. The participation levels of iRacing can't be matched anywhere else. Also, since iRacing has a safety rating, clean & fair driving is much more common compared to racing online in Assetto Corsa.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, euronate said:

The primary difference between iRacing and Assetto Corsa (besides the cost) is the amount of experience you can gain actually racing against real people.

If you want to learn how to drive & how to hot lap, then Assetto Corsa is for you.

If you want to learn about racecraft against a very competitive community, then iRacing is for you.

I have owned Assetto Corsa since it came out in early access a long time ago. The tire model in iRacing has come a long since I joined it about 4 years ago. Up until one of the more recent iRacing tire models, I would have argued that the tire model in Assetto Corsa was better. I think it's safe to say that they're about equal now.

It's also important to note that Assetto Corsa does have online multiplayer, but it can't compete with iRacing at all. The participation levels of iRacing can't be matched anywhere else. Also, since iRacing has a safety rating, clean & fair driving is much more common compared to racing online in Assetto Corsa.

Assetto Corsa has a big online presence these days. But it's a community driven effort, not a KS product. You can find lots of organized racing at http://www.simracingsystem.com

One of the things some people don't like about iRacing's safety system is that if someone runs into you, you get incident points. You can get booted out of a race simply because idiots run into you. I disagree. It's a good thing to be aware of unsafe drivers and get out of their way! I love how iRacing manages races. Just because I've given up iRacing for Assetto Corsa doesn't mean I don't also love iRacing.

As long as we're mentioning differences, Assetto Corsa has AI, and it's good. iRacing doesn't have AI. I prefer racing against real (stupid) humans though.

Another difference is that Assetto Corsa can be played offline. No internet connection, no iRacing. Sometimes their service goes down for planned service and they make an offline mode available. But it doesn't happen often. And their offline experience is crap anyway.

Just to be clear, I own a lot of simulator software and they all have their good points. Automobilista, rFactor2, Project CARS, iRacing, RaceRoom, etc. All are better than nothing. I feel like Assetto Corsa is the best place to start. But I think DiRT Rally is the most fun.

Cool! I Just Applied, Can't Afford to try Racing IRL Yet so I iRace for my Racing Fix. Looking at the Schedule I Can only do 5 Races due to my Current Content (Round 4, 5 & 6 @ Daytona, Charlotte & The Glen, Along with Round 10 @ Auto Club & Round 12 @ Laguna Seca (Free/Base Content Track)). It's a shame that CTMP Never got a spot in the Schedule for us Canadians/Chumpcar Canada.

For People Interested in Signing Up, Their Black Friday Sale is going on until December 6th, 50% Subscription off for New Members (1 Month for $6.50, 3 Months for $16.50, 1 Year for $55 & 2 Years for $99.50), 25% off 1 & 2 Year Sub Renewals for Existing Members ($82.50 for 1 Year, $149.25 for 2 Years, Can be used up to 3 Times for a Maximum of a 6 Year Sub for just $447.75)

Yes, While a Lot of the Content is Paid, there is some Base/Free Content included with the Sub, Such as:

Cars: Cadillac CTS-V Racecar, Legends (Dirt & Asphalt), Street Stock (Dirt & Asphalt), Mazda MX-5 Cup (Circa 2015=NC, Current is the ND), Dallara Indycar Circa 2011 (IR03/05), NASCAR Nationwide Chevy Impala Circa 2011, NASCAR Sprint Cup Impala COT Circa 2013, NASCAR Truck Series Chevy Silverado Circa 2013, Pontiac Solstice, SCCA Spec Racer Ford & V8 Supercar Ford Falcon Circa 2012

Tracks: Charlotte Motor Speedway, Concord Speedway, Daytona Circa 2007, Lanier National Speedway (Dirt & Asphalt), Lime Rock Park, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Okayama International Circuit, Oxford Plains Speedway, Phoenix International Raceway-2008, South Boston Speedway, Summit Point Raceway, Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park & USA International Speedway (Dirt & Asphalt)

For People Looking for a Cheap Computer to Run iRacing, this is the cheapest build List I'd Recommend, Should be capable of Medium Settings I Think maybe:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($84.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($41.89 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: XFX - Radeon R7 360 2GB Core Edition Video Card  ($83.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Rosewill - RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($19.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($31.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Optical Drive: Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  ($10.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($97.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $459.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-29 11:59 EST-0500

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great time to sign up as a *first time user*... deep discounts (think: corner crack dealer)  to get you to sign up.  Once you're hooked though, you're pretty much boned, the renewal fees are at or near full price, and their "lapsed account" specials nowhere near as good as the new addict subscriber rates.  $82.50 to renew for a year, $55 for newbies ("Black Friday" deals... )

Edited by Gearhead_42

31 minutes ago, Gearhead_42 said:

Great time to sign up as a *first time user*... deep discounts (think: corner crack dealer)  to get you to sign up.  Once you're hooked though, you're pretty much boned, the renewal fees are at or near full price, and their "lapsed account" specials nowhere near as good as the new addict subscriber rates.

They run a special on black Friday every year, if you get an annual subscription you should never pay full price. 

They also give credits if you compete in a certain number of races every season that can lower your yearly cost. 

21 hours ago, Lord Letto said:

Cool! I Just Applied, Can't Afford to try Racing IRL Yet so I iRace for my Racing Fix. Looking at the Schedule I Can only do 5 Races due to my Current Content (Round 4, 5 & 6 @ Daytona, Charlotte & The Glen, Along with Round 10 @ Auto Club & Round 12 @ Laguna Seca (Free/Base Content Track)). It's a shame that CTMP Never got a spot in the Schedule for us Canadians/Chumpcar Canada.

For People Interested in Signing Up, Their Black Friday Sale is going on until December 6th, 50% Subscription off for New Members (1 Month for $6.50, 3 Months for $16.50, 1 Year for $55 & 2 Years for $99.50), 25% off 1 & 2 Year Sub Renewals for Existing Members ($82.50 for 1 Year, $149.25 for 2 Years, Can be used up to 3 Times for a Maximum of a 6 Year Sub for just $447.75)

Yes, While a Lot of the Content is Paid, there is some Base/Free Content included with the Sub, Such as:

Cars: Cadillac CTS-V Racecar, Legends (Dirt & Asphalt), Street Stock (Dirt & Asphalt), Mazda MX-5 Cup (Circa 2015=NC, Current is the ND), Dallara Indycar Circa 2011 (IR03/05), NASCAR Nationwide Chevy Impala Circa 2011, NASCAR Sprint Cup Impala COT Circa 2013, NASCAR Truck Series Chevy Silverado Circa 2013, Pontiac Solstice, SCCA Spec Racer Ford & V8 Supercar Ford Falcon Circa 2012

Tracks: Charlotte Motor Speedway, Concord Speedway, Daytona Circa 2007, Lanier National Speedway (Dirt & Asphalt), Lime Rock Park, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Okayama International Circuit, Oxford Plains Speedway, Phoenix International Raceway-2008, South Boston Speedway, Summit Point Raceway, Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park & USA International Speedway (Dirt & Asphalt)

For People Looking for a Cheap Computer to Run iRacing, this is the cheapest build List I'd Recommend, Should be capable of Medium Settings I Think maybe:

Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($41.89 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($31.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Optical Drive: Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  ($10.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Total: $459.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-29 11:59 EST-0500

Thanks for the list of cheap, but decent parts.  If I were to toss another $50-100 into it, would the video card be the best upgrade?

24 minutes ago, CoachMK21 said:

If I were to toss another $50-100 into it, would the video card be the best upgrade?

If it were me, I would leave what is there and install an SSD to run the operating system for faster boot times.  I'm so spoiled by them and can't stand SATA drives for operating systems now.  You might be able to poach a DVD drive out of an existing box too (thats what I did) to save a few bucks.  I think I only used it to install the BIOS for the motherboard and it hasn't been used since....everything is either USB or download.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bremsen said:

If it were me, I would leave what is there and install an SSD to run the operating system for faster boot times.  I'm so spoiled by them and can't stand SATA drives for operating systems now.  You might be able to poach a DVD drive out of an existing box too (thats what I did) to save a few bucks.  I think I only used it to install the BIOS for the motherboard and it hasn't been used since....everything is either USB or download.

I have an older desktop machine that I can use for some parts; case, cd/dvd player, maybe other stuff.  My son would help put this together.  He's only 15, but has built a couple gaming computers already.  He too wants an SSD...$$$.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2017 at 8:07 PM, drKorf said:

One of the things some people don't like about iRacing's safety system is that if someone runs into you, you get incident points. You can get booted out of a race simply because idiots run into you. I disagree. It's a good thing to be aware of unsafe drivers and get out of their way! I love how iRacing manages races. Just because I've given up iRacing for Assetto Corsa doesn't mean I don't also love iRacing.

That system is quite similar to black flags in the ChampCar Endurance Series. They don't try to determine who's at fault in many cases. If you get hit or hit somebody, both cars typically get penalized.

Sure, you don't get booted out of a race in ChampCar, but that doesn't mean you won't have terminal damage or a mechanical failure from the contact. I feel that iRacing teaches good habits for avoiding incidents in ChampCar.

38 minutes ago, euronate said:

They don't try to determine who's at fault in many cases.

Not sure if it's consistent across regions, but in the Easter Region they always try to determine who's at fault...At least every time we've had an incident they have.  I've also worked about 8 or so races and they always try to determine what happened by asking the drivers when they come in for a penalty.  They also will review video to support your case, if necessary.

2 hours ago, euronate said:

I feel that iRacing teaches good habits for avoiding incidents in ChampCar.

Me too. At SimRacingSystems (used for racing online using Assetto Corsa, Automobilista, and rFactor2) they have a different system that seems pretty good. You get -3 points per incident. These are subtracted from your placing. So let's say you're on server 4 (the most strict) and you place 3rd but have 3 incidents. Well, now you only get 20 points for the race, which is equivalent to 7th place. In SRS, you can choose how strict you want the penalties to be. Kinda cool.

POINTS SERVER 1: 102, 98, 95, 92, 90, 88, 86, 84, 82, 80, 78, 76, 74, 72, 71, 70, 69, 68, 67, 66

POINTS SERVER 2: 80, 76, 73, 70, 68, 66, 64, 62, 60, 58, 56, 54, 52, 50, 49, 48, 47, 46, 45, 44

POINTS SERVER 3: 58, 54, 51, 48, 46, 44, 42, 40, 38, 36, 34, 32, 30, 28, 27, 26, 25, 24, 23, 22

POINTS SERVER 4: 36, 32, 29, 26, 24, 22, 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0

Incidents will affect both your scoring and rating. Each incident will subtract 3 points to your score.
If you reach 20 incidents on a race, you will be suspended for a week.

10 hours ago, CoachMK21 said:

Thanks for the list of cheap, but decent parts.  If I were to toss another $50-100 into it, would the video card be the best upgrade?

iRacing is known to be CPU Heavy so I'd Focus on going for a Better CPU.

for up to $50 More:

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($77.77 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $503.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-30 18:23 EST-0500

up to $100 more:

CPU: Intel - Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($117.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2 36.7 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($9.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $554.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-30 18:57 EST-0500

Removed Case & DVD Drive as you said you can probably use those from a Old PC, Added the Cheapest SSD & Cut back a Little on the CPU Cooler & SSD to reduce how overbudget it would be:

CPU: Intel - Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($117.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Zalman - CNPS7000V(AL)-1-PWM CPU Cooler  ($9.39 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: ADATA - Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Toshiba - P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.88 @ Other World Computing) 
Total: $565.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-30 19:06 EST-0500

Edit: if you decide to go for a GPU Upgrade instead of a CPU Upgrade:

$50 More:

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($131.23 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $506.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-30 19:15 EST-0500

$100 More:

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($169.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $545.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-30 19:20 EST-0500

Edited by Lord Letto
  • Like 3

I just built this contraption yesterday to get away from the swivel desk chair and not being comfortable.  It may not look like much but using the VR headset it sure feels pretty close!

IMG_0842.JPG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kartermdb said:

I just built this contraption yesterday to get away from the swivel desk chair and not being comfortable.  It may not look like much but using the VR headset it sure feels pretty close!

IMG_0842.JPG

Should have just mounted everything in the GT1 car :lol:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, pintodave said:

Should have just mounted everything in the GT1 car :lol:

If I had a spare one, maybe with a firebird body, I might have ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Hugh Jass (or anyone who would know this)  I'm kinda new to iRacing and was watching this YouTube video and if you don't mind me asking, I was curious how to setup the track map like you have it in the upper right and the driver list in the upper left.  I've looked at Z1 dashboard a bit but it seems different.

Capture.JPG

uh, stupid questions...

1) how do I sign up for the Champcar races?

2) I am confused on how the schedule works for the races...  When do I need to be on the system to make the race? 

3) Do you need to have some communication device or do most people not talk during a race?

Thanks,

Rob R.

35 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

uh, stupid questions...

1) how do I sign up for the Champcar races?

2) I am confused on how the schedule works for the races...  When do I need to be on the system to make the race? 

3) Do you need to have some communication device or do most people not talk during a race?

Thanks,

Rob R.

Question # 1 and # 2 are answered here: 

4 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

About all you will hear is an occasional "Ooops, sorry" during the race. A little bit of talking during practice and qualifying, but not much and about the same thing is said...LOL

Joined iRacing in april. Just wanted to share my build, it works extremely well.  After adjusting the fan settings it has worked flawlessly over the past 6 months. I Have The Fps Limited To 120, And IT cOnsistently Stays At 120 

Corsair 200r Case

Corsair 600w bronze builder series power supply

Asus Z170a Mobo

Core I5 3.2ghz

Cooler master evo 212 cpu cooler

4x4gb ddr4 ram

evga gtx 1060  superclock 3gb video card

Western digital blue 250gb ssd 

Windows 10 64bit

Lg dvd rw drive

45" 4k LED Tv 

Logitech G29 wheel and pedals with shifter

Openwheeler cockpit

About 2kish Invested.  

Upgrades down the road will Include 3 Screens(maybe VR) And Shaker Transducers.  

Edited by BZnewton3

On 12/27/2017 at 1:28 PM, n0m4d said:

@Hugh Jass (or anyone who would know this)  I'm kinda new to iRacing and was watching this YouTube video and if you don't mind me asking, I was curious how to setup the track map like you have it in the upper right and the driver list in the upper left.  I've looked at Z1 dashboard a bit but it seems different.

Capture.JPG

@n0m4d

What you are seeing is an overlay added by OBS. The driver creating the video isn't seeing that data. You could probably create a similar overlay using JRT that you would be able to see while driving. I don't do that because it hurts the frame rates. I output my JRT dashboard to an old phone, very similar to DIY timing systems I see at ChampCar races. 

JRT link: https://joel-real-timing.com/index_en.html

This is a very helpful tool, some functions are free. I do all my fuel calculations with it, it can do way more than I use it for. Some of my buddies made fun of it when I first got it because it cost money, those same guys own their own copy now. Racing is like that.