Harness belt size

enginerd

Our harness has now expired so I'm buying a new one... I read some stuff saying that 2" lap is safer than 3" because it rides lower on your pelvis (less chance for internal organ injury in a hard crash).

Also, rules say 2" or 3" is fine. 

This harness is 2" shoulder as well as 2" waist:

https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/GforceSFI16-1Camlock/GForceCamlockHarnesses#reviews

is there any reason not to use a harness with 2" shoulder belts? Our 3 main drivers all have necksgen HNR sized for 3" belt, but is it fine to use a 2" belt on 3" HNR? (I can see how 3" belt on 2" HNR would be a no go)

Edited by enginerd

Not sure about safer. Sounds like rhetoric. A larger waist belt distributes the load over a larger surface area. If the crotch belt is property adjusted how would it be safer since the only job of a crotch belt or belts is to keep the waist belt from getting into the soft beer belly area. .

Don't the rules specify belts?

12 minutes ago, cagedruss said:

Not sure about safer. Sounds like rhetoric. A larger waist belt distributes the load over a larger surface area. If the crotch belt is property adjusted how would it be safer since the only job of a crotch belt or belts is to keep the waist belt from getting into the soft beer belly area. .

Don't the rules specify belts?

A properly adjusted 3" waist belt will reach 1" higher up your torso than a properly adjusted 2" waist belt. The "safer" info came from a Schroth info sheet... they seem to know what they are talking about, but I agree, it sounded like splitting hairs to me. 

Rereading the rule book, it looks like 3" (shoulder webbing) is required because our HNRs are 3". That being said, outside of this rule, in non-champcar competition, generally speaking, Is it ok to run a 2" shoulder harness over a 3" HNR?

Edited by enginerd

As long as it's certified it is OK to use. I'd be looking for a FIA rated belt over a SFI rated belt because they are good for 5 years instead of 2. I know the rulebook states something different, but for every other series they stick to the SFI 2 year rule and expire on month on the tag.  

Having used both 3" and 2" lap belts the 2" is vastly more comfortable. I have a Schroth profi II-6 in the E30 and a profi II-6H in the WRX. The co-driver belts expired this year and I'm going to give these a shot: http://rally.build/sparco-endurance-racer-six-point-harness/

I know the rules state in 3.4.1: PLEASE NOTE THAT NECK RESTRAINT SYSTEMS ARE AVAILABLE FOR 2” AND 3” BELTS, AND YOU MUST MATCH YOUR NECK RESTRAINT TO YOUR HARNESS, but it looks like the Necksgen is able to be used with 2" and 3" belts per their FAQ section on their site. 

My advice: If you are feeling adventurous go with the Sparco endurance racer and if you want something tried and true go with a Schroth Profi II-6H.

One more thing the Schroth has that no other belt on the market has is quick adjust crotch straps. For different sized drivers this is amazing. We have a 8-10" waist differential between drivers and being able to quickly move the crotch straps to the right spot for different body types quickly makes a difference.  

Edited by bigusnickus
  • Like 2

Can confirm, 2" lap is much more comfortable and easier to fit. Pull up adjusters are easier on the lap.

With a HANS or similar you can run 2" or 3" shoulder belts. If the car will ever be driven without (shouldn't) then you need to go with the 3".

The Schroth (not Sparco) enduro belts with smooth adjusters and big yellow loops are really really nice.

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

2 inch lap belts helps the belt fit within the hip bones, less chance of slipping up, and keeps the load in the strong part of the body (the dense bones vs. the soft squishy stuff you need to consume beer).  

Companies changing down to 2" shoulder belts was so that the belt fit better within the shape of the H&N restraint, less chance of slipping off and helping to keep the H&N device where it is supposed to be during an impact.  Balance of loading vs. helping the other equipment work optimally.

As far as I know - generally, 3" shoulder are required whenever a driver does NOT have a H&N restraint, with 2" allowed with H&N.  I am not aware of any legal H&N restraint that does not work with 2" shoulder belts.

• Thanks 1