Barber Practice Race 12/7

Doc

I set up the session for this coming Thursday night at Barber.

I won't be able to participate this week as I will actually BE at Barber on Thursday afternoon.

Be jealous; be very jealous.

Made some subtle tweaks and would love some feedback: Rolling start vs standing start. Unlimited repairs. FCY.

I made the weather as close as I could to the actual weather for Saturday's start. It's actually going to be MUCH colder at the track than in the sim...

Have FUN!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ABR-Glen said:

I think that the Thursday night schedule is often going to conflict with the real races. 

It's one of the few times it will. Most (if not all) Championship races IN 2018 end the week BEFORE the actual race for that very reason. These 2017 practice and race sessions are just tuneups so we can refine the settings/adjustments for the 2018 full season.

I will double check the schedule and adjust if I find any conflicts for sure. In my defense I did have to put it together very quickly....so.... The Thursday night session immediately before an actual ChampCar Endurance Series race will be at the NEXT track on the schedule. Towards the end of the year IN 2018 this may not be possible as the schedule gets VERY busy with actual races. You don't want us to drop any of those do you??? :lol:

10 hours ago, Jamie said:

9:15PM EST start time?

Yes sir.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Doc said:

It's one of the few times it will. Most (if not all) Championship races IN 2018 end the week BEFORE the actual race for that very reason. These 2017 practice and race sessions are just tuneups so we can refine the settings/adjustments for the 2018 full season.

I will double check the schedule and adjust if I find any conflicts for sure. In my defense I did have to put it together very quickly....so.... The Thursday night session immediately before an actual ChampCar Endurance Series race will be at the NEXT track on the schedule. Towards the end of the year IN 2018 this may not be possible as the schedule gets VERY busy with actual races. You don't want us to drop any of those do you??? :lol:

That makes sense, the couple dates I checked must have been the exceptions. Any thoughts on filling in the open summer dates?

@Doc,

I like the idea of rolling starts.  It reflects the reality of ChampCar.  I'm not sold on unlimited repairs and full course yellows.  I think it needs to be one or the other or we'll have a mess.  If we do both, there's no incentive to drive safely as you can just get another car and not lose a lap.

If I might make a proposal for 2018:

• Practice events
    • Unlimited repairs, no yellows to give drivers ample time to get on track in a race situation without much consequence.
  • Championship events
    • 1 fast repair and FCY to get as close to a real-life ChampCar event as possible.

Thanks for working to continuously improve the league.  I would hate for an unintended consequence to be a wreckfest because there's no penalty to wrecking a car.

• Like 2

Thanks Kyle - we're still finalizing the details for the race on Thursday, I will post the eventual session details here, probably tonight.

It's unlikely we will implement FCY on road courses in the Championship, as they don't work well on iRacing - we'd be likely to spend over 50% of an hour long race at pacing speeds. The purpose of the current practice rounds is to establish a baseline session format that will be carried forward into 2018 with consistency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie said:

Can we turn the racing line on for practice mode? I noticed many racers were pretty lost in the last Barber practice. 

Not sure you can separate it within the event. I find it annoying for the most part, but it does come in handy when you are learning a new track or a new car.

Gives you a place to start...