To fan or not to fan?

Turd Ferguson

We have the viscous stock clutch fan.  I've read a Circle Track article stating that our type of fan is great for cooling without robbing as much powah as a direct coupled fan.  We probably won't change it as we prefer simple and don't want to rely on someone forgetting to turn on an electric fan if temps get too high. 

I'm just genuinely curious as to how many of you guys DON'T run a fan of any kind.  

Edited by Turd Ferguson
Speelling

I wouldn't ditch the fan on the east coast (significantly more red flags than central)...  not worth blowing an engine because someone forgot to turn off the car while stopped. Especially with rental drivers... someone unfamiliar with the car may leave it idling.

Edited by enginerd

We don't run a fan at all. 140hp Honda engine. Engine Masters on Youtube covered the horsepower consumption of a bunch of different fans a while back. Pretty eye-opening. As was the recent test of air cleaners.

As noted above though, we've only run big tracks in Central where red flags and full course cautions are rare.  Hadn't thought about races in other areas being different. You could always set an electric fan to come on via a thermostat just like the factory.

Edited by karman1970

I've had the same e-fan on our car for the last 8 years (came on one of our parts cars), but if CCWS decides to dock us 10pts its gone.  We have radios to instruct the driver and will be installing dummy lights so I'm not worried about red flags.  Honestly, FCY might be more of an issue than red due to the accordion effect and slow pace we see pretty often during FCY.  Still, they're only a backup safety measure so I don't see why they were ever considered for TCV.

15 hours ago, Turd Ferguson said:

We have the viscous stock clutch fan.  I've read a Circle Track article stating that our type of fan is great for cooling without robbing as much powah as a direct coupled fan.  We probably won't change it as we prefer simple and don't want to rely on someone forgetting to turn on an electric fan if temps get too high. 

I'm just genuinely curious as to how many of you guys DON'T run a fan of any kind.  

Honestly I don't know why anybody would race w/o a fan. They don't take that much power (viscous), maybe if you had a big old 8 blade paddle fan.  All it takes is a long caution and high temps, OR you happen to fudge the nose up, then you'll be wishing for the fan.

1 hour ago, TiredBirds said:

Honestly I don't know why anybody would race w/o a fan. They don't take that much power (viscous), maybe if you had a big old 8 blade paddle fan.  All it takes is a long caution and high temps, OR you happen to fudge the nose up, then you'll be wishing for the fan.

Weight. Especially of the variety that sits way out in front of the axle. Some cars aren't blessed with 8 cylinders to motivate their machines and need to take weight seriously if they want to compete.;) 

We run no fan. Only once has a very slow pace car caused the engine temps to creep up and it never got into critical territory before the green flag dropped again. Red flags, black flags and sitting at pit out for any extended period are all done with the car turned off. No issues to date. 

Edited by thewheelerZ

1 hour ago, TiredBirds said:

Honestly I don't know why anybody would race w/o a fan.

I'll say it......Because Racecar!

But seriously, I can think of a bunch of reasons to NOT run an engine driven fan.  Old plastic blades come apart easily (no way I'm running a 25y/o plastic fan), they restrict air flow at higher speeds, added weight, increased engine drag, chance of a wire or hose getting caught by it, having to work around it if you need the work on the engine while its running.  Those fans are only on vehicles so the engine doesn't overheat at idle or slow parking lot speeds.  Even at pit road speeds the air through the radiator is likely better than either engine driven or e-fan.  E-fans are [were] a nice little safety net, but not worth a 10pt hit to my TCV.  I'm removing mine until CCWS comes to their senses.

• Like 1

Yeah, we aren't blisteringly fast anyway.   I'd say if we removed the much fan none of us would be able to tell the difference performance wise.  Our fan is not why we don't Podium.  😀

However, our fan is not weightless...and it's way far forward.  And I know it most likely impedes air flow through the radiator at speed FWIW.  The biggest advantage I could see for us to remove it would be that it would dramatically "clean up" the front of our engine compartment. Working around a mechanical fan blows....(get it). 

We may go to a small e-fan in the future on a t-stat.  I'll put in a Work Request to out team's Electrical Department.  Maybe they'll get around to it by Christmas 2018.  😄

57 minutes ago, Bremsen said:

I'll say it......Because Racecar!

But seriously, I can think of a bunch of reasons to NOT run an engine driven fan.  Old plastic blades come apart easily (no way I'm running a 25y/o plastic fan), they restrict air flow at higher speeds, added weight, increased engine drag, chance of a wire or hose getting caught by it, having to work around it if you need the work on the engine while its running.  Those fans are only on vehicles so the engine doesn't overheat at idle or slow parking lot speeds.  Even at pit road speeds the air through the radiator is likely better than either engine driven or e-fan.  E-fans are [were] a nice little safety net, but not worth a 10pt hit to my TCV.  I'm removing mine until CCWS comes to their senses.

weight? the weigh nothing. If you have the proper fan it won't restrict at all, clutch types don't even engage and electric shut off. I guess it is an all iron V8 thing. It is a heat sink. Our fan is a big ash stock electric, runs off a switch and temp gauge.

1 hour ago, Zimo said:

Why not just grab something like a spal electric fan and a thermostatic switch so you dont have to ever worry about flipping a switch? The install is ridiculously easy, if you get the pre wired harness & relays, power, ground, ignition done. 

Yup, surprised so many car owners would trust their entire team (not to mention renters) with a fan switch, when a thermo-controlled one is so simple. I guess if you had to be trick, you could add a switch to override the thermo switch but I see no advantage to not having a thermo switch.

one failure mode for a viscous type fan is for it to lock up, and run at full engine speed all the time.    Had it happen in the old daily driver, and on an spirited take-off, the blades flew off when the engine reached red line.   After having that happen on the street, there is no way I want one in the race car.   I suppose if it was 100 degrees out I might want it, maybe.