Cutting up the floor pan

carzero

I'm building a Ranger for use in Chump..er, ChampCar next year, and, I have a question about the floor pan. I want to remove the body mounts from under the cab and the box with the intent of lowering the body on the frame. Less wheelwell gap, lower CofG, aero benefits, makes perfect sense, no? I will need to cut out the floor pan (easy,) or, lower the drivetrain  (less easy) to make room for the transmission that will now be trying to occupy space inside the cab. Can I cut out a roughly 2' x 3' section of the floor and cover it with sheet metal to make room? Would that be considered unsafe for any reason? I'd love to hold it in with dzus fasteners or something similar to make it easily removable, also. Thanks in advance.

Disclaimer: I am not a tech official just a long-term competitor

Sounds a little  over the top , I would call the floor a firewall against oil and gas fire underneath vehicle  I.E. not something to be extremely compromised or held 

with removable fasteners that may undo in a severe accident. 

My opinion on your plan, remove, shape and replace the floor  fully welding and sealing it back up close to factory keeping in mind that if it dislodges  during a terrible crash  it could chop you up !

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 2

Sounds like your basically channeling the body? 

Pretty sure many teams have modified floor pans in order to accomodate some seat configurations but not on the scale of 2'x3'....a lot of area.  Lo gauge sheet metal and Dzus fasteners probably aren't the answer.

Channelling the body is a little over the top when other people:

Put 200+ hp in Miatas and MR2s

Move suspension mounting points

Revise suspension

Revise entire brake systems

Do complete drivetrain swaps

Modify control arms

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Huh?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, carzero said:

I'm building a Ranger for use in Chump..er, ChampCar next year, and, I have a question about the floor pan. I want to remove the body mounts from under the cab and the box with the intent of lowering the body on the frame. Less wheelwell gap, lower CofG, aero benefits, makes perfect sense, no? I will need to cut out the floor pan (easy,) or, lower the drivetrain  (less easy) to make room for the transmission that will now be trying to occupy space inside the cab. Can I cut out a roughly 2' x 3' section of the floor and cover it with sheet metal to make room? Would that be considered unsafe for any reason? I'd love to hold it in with dzus fasteners or something similar to make it easily removable, also. Thanks in advance.

So you're just doing a body drop and then raising the trans hump?  As long as you claim the material costs, I don't see why not.  Agreed, it might be a little better if you weld it instead of making it removable.  Best advice is to check with tech first, though.

The 2' x 3' removable section I mentioned definitely isn't set-in-stone. I thought if I was cutting a little clearance in the floor anyway, I may as well cut out a big chunk I can remove to make it easier to work on the engine or trans. Realistically, I would probably be cutting an area about a foot squared and if I needed to weld in a section of 14ga sheet steel or similar, that's no problem. How do I get a hold of tech to run this by them? Thanks for the replies, everyone

My Ranger interior is not overly tall . That is to say that our helmets are near the roof  @ stock height ,minus3.5  chop of the the roof.  It looked a lot easier to take it off of the top then bottom. IMHO. 

Maybe you can move the body rearward a little bit to gain  a little engine room...   

Edited by flyinglizard
  • Like 1

Make sure very sure you put the seat in and check the height of the cage. You need 2" of clearance between your tallest driver and the cage. That sounds like a lot of work for no real performance gain. Your time would better better spent moving the engine back. You can ditch the cab and bed mounts and it will drop an inch at least. Not sure why you would need an access panel, it's not like you are going to fix anything from inside the cab once that cage is in.  You can also drop the suspension w/o too much trouble.   

^^^^ This!  That 2" is a minimum, and helmets add a LOT to your height - I've seen and been in a lot of cars that the builder thought "I will be able to get a 6 foot 3' guy in no problem".  Because it is really tough to get the bends perfect so that you are getting all of the way to the top sheet metal, the car only ends up being safe for people less than 5 foot 8' or so.  If you build like that, it will be hard to get renters if you need them for a long race and it will be hard to sell.

3.2.16. All roll-cages / seats / drivers must be fit such that when the driver is securely belted in-place, the top of the driver’s helmet does not extend above the centerline of the main hoop. This applies to ALL drivers on the team. Any driver found in violation of this rule will be black-flagged and the car withdrawn from competition until repairs or modifications have been made and the car completes a re-tech inspection.

On 12/11/2017 at 7:39 AM, TiredBirds said:

Make sure very sure you put the seat in and check the height of the cage. You need 2" of clearance between your tallest driver and the cage. That sounds like a lot of work for no real performance gain. Your time would better better spent moving the engine back. You can ditch the cab and bed mounts and it will drop an inch at least. Not sure why you would need an access panel, it's not like you are going to fix anything from inside the cab once that cage is in.  You can also drop the suspension w/o too much trouble.   

2" where to where? Where is this in the rules (I can't find it... probably searching wrong terms).

On 12/9/2017 at 3:24 PM, Ron_e said:

Channelling the body is a little over the top when other people:

Put 200+ hp in Miatas and MR2s

Move suspension mounting points

Revise suspension

Revise entire brake systems

Do complete drivetrain swaps

Modify control arms

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Huh?

I'm channeled.

Well, the pan is welded to the frame.

Will see I guess.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CBraden said:

3.2.16. All roll-cages / seats / drivers must be fit such that when the driver is securely belted in-place, the top of the driver’s helmet does not extend above the centerline of the main hoop. This applies to ALL drivers on the team. Any driver found in violation of this rule will be black-flagged and the car withdrawn from competition until repairs or modifications have been made and the car completes a re-tech inspection.

2" where to where? Where is this in the rules (I can't find it... probably searching wrong terms).

Could be a LeMons rule. Or was the rule in 14 when we built our ride. in any event you are going to want as much head room as you can. Your head cannot come into contact with the roll bar. Doesn't matter if you are NHRA or Chumps.