Jump to content

Practice Race at Sebring - 12/21/2017


Rapido
 Share

Recommended Posts

Remaining at Sebring this week, but on the full "International" circuit configuration this time. With plenty of long straights, maybe this is the chance for the Street Stock to finally take an overall win? The pitstop bug in the Miata is still existent, so the fixed setup should have enough fuel to last the race. Remember, if you need to put, take all 4 tires to minimise the chance of the bug reoccurring. 

 

I will unfortunately miss this round as I'll be visiting my folks in Tennessee, but I hope there's a decent turnout and I look forward to joining the grid next week.

 

Session Details

 

  • Date: Thursday, 21-December-2017
  • Practice Start: 6:00pm EST
  • Qualifying Start: 8:00pm EST
  • Race Start: 9:15pm EST
  • Cars: Street Stock, 2016 Global Mazda Cup
  • Track: Sebring International
  • Weather: iRacing Default
  • Setup: Fixed, Baseline (Miata), Modified Baseline (Street Stock)

 

Any questions, please let us know in this thread, and we look forward to seeing everyone on track!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of our crew crashed and the engine died, came in for repairs and I got in and the car wouldn't move. Exited SIM, came back in... Same thing, wouldn't run. Then someone noticed that it said 0.0 laps of fuel remaining. Ah-ha! I didnt realize wed have to pit for fuel, I'll pay attention better next time. Fun race though and thanks for hosting!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a great start in the blue street stock car.  I went from 8th to 2nd in the first turn, made it 1/4 of a lap, ran out of talent.  I was also in the pits for a few minutes but managed to finish in 7th two laps down.  This was the first race that I actually completed too!  

Edited by hcsi99
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, hcsi99 said:

.... I went from 8th to 2nd in the first turn, made it 1/4 of a lap, ran out of talent......

 

 

 

LOL did almost the same thing. Started 11th and worked my way to 6 in the first lap then put it in the inside wall of turn 1 on the second lap and put myself right back to 11th.

Edited by WastedAccounts
typo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee

I also had a good time out there; I find it more fun racing with people that there is a good chance I have competed against in real life.  I felt like I picked the track up pretty quick (just downloaded it last night), but also had some talent issues, tossing the car into a wall fairly early on.  I have run that track in real life, but dang turn 17 and 1 are sketchy when you don't have that extra sensory item of your butt attached to a seat and feeling the Gs.  Pitting for repair was aggravating, as when it finished, my steering wheel wasn't lined up with what the wheel on the car was doing.   It took me a few minutes to figure out I had my wheel turned 360 degrees....    oops.   lesson learned.

 

Seems like there was a pretty big discrepancy in performance potential between the 2 cars.  I'm curious to see how that shakes out over the season.   Quick check, SuperStock fast time from our group was a few tenths behind the fastest ever recorded lap time for the mx5.   Were things setup (or will they be) with fuel load to equalize the speed delta?  Or is it going to be a 'pick the right car for the track' type thing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2017 at 10:34 AM, NigelStu said:

Seems like there was a pretty big discrepancy in performance potential between the 2 cars.  I'm curious to see how that shakes out over the season.   Quick check, SuperStock fast time from our group was a few tenths behind the fastest ever recorded lap time for the mx5.   Were things setup (or will they be) with fuel load to equalize the speed delta?  Or is it going to be a 'pick the right car for the track' type thing?

May take us (like I know anything: NOPE) a while to sort it out, but @Rapido is doing a great job setting these up and I look forward to the beginning of the 2018 season in just a few short weeks!!!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did the street stock have a setup applied? Felt different from baseline. I had a hard time trying to BOP the two cars in the past. I think the street stock will always have an advantage unless it's on a small tight track, of which there aren't many.

Edited by gr1vlet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gr1vlet said:

Did the street stock have a setup applied? Felt different from baseline. I had a hard time trying to BOP the two cars in the past. I think the street stock will always have an advantage unless it's on a small tight track, of which there aren't many.

Yes....it was modified a bit. Stock they are WAY too touchy IMHO.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee

I see that there is a link to a downloadable file for modified SS setup in 1st post that I assume is the one we should use.

 

 

But....    because I'm a noob at this, how about a quick tutorial on how to apply the setup?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To clear up a couple of points raised in this thread:

 

1) The 2018 championship will be run as a two class series, meaning the overall champion can accumulate points in either car on a race-by-race basis. Similar to Champcar, each round will see the same number of points awarded to the winner of the Miata class and the Street Stock class, regardless of which car finishes first on the road.

 

2) The fixed setup for the Street Stock is not the iracing baseline, but one modified to be more stable and easy to drive. The download link is included in each pre-race thread. To apply this, download the .sto file from the link and then copy it to the setup folder for the car (default is: my documents/iracing/setups/streetstock/). Then, when in session, go to the garage screen, go to "My Setups", and load the downloaded file. I'll put together a quick tutorial for this when I'm back home after the holidays.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/23/2017 at 9:54 PM, Rapido said:

To clear up a couple of points raised in this thread:

 

1) The 2018 championship will be run as a two class series, meaning the overall champion can accumulate points in either car on a race-by-race basis. Similar to Champcar, each round will see the same number of points awarded to the winner of the Miata class and the Street Stock class, regardless of which car finishes first on the road.

 

2) The fixed setup for the Street Stock is not the iracing baseline, but one modified to be more stable and easy to drive. The download link is included in each pre-race thread. To apply this, download the .sto file from the link and then copy it to the setup folder for the car (default is: my documents/iracing/setups/streetstock/). Then, when in session, go to the garage screen, go to "My Setups", and load the downloaded file. I'll put together a quick tutorial for this when I'm back home after the holidays.


So drive whatever car Wyatt isn't driving... Got it! In all seriously-ness what happens when 15 people register in the Miata and 4 in the streetstock? The average street stock entrant will accumulate far more points than the average MX5 entrant.  The better play might be to have some races in the SS and some in the MX5, it's more fun when everyone is battling in equal cars (and more ch(a)mpy).

I actually think the SS is more difficult to drive than the baseline, this setup pushes too much mid-corner. If there was some sort of middle ground that would be awesome! (We practice with the Street Stock for the Mustang our team pilots occasionally and the baseline setup is eerily similar to a Foxbody)

Edited by gr1vlet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gr1vlet said:


In all seriously-ness what happens when 15 people register in the Miata and 4 in the streetstock?
 

 

Then at the next race there will be 15 opportunistic people in the Street Stock and 4 in the Miata. Over the course of the season, an equilibrium should be found that will reflect a balanced field. The practice rounds before each championship round should help in finding this equilibrium, I think we'll see equal participation over the course of a season. 

 

WRT the Street Stock setup, this fixed is more stable and less likely to lift a wheel on corner entry; it's faster than the baseline on an average track whilst also being easier to drive. We think it's a more accessible option for newcomers who might not be familiar with this car on a road course.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...