Safety Equipment Expiration Dates

FWIW I was told by tech when I asked about this that the harness and helmet are the only dated items that expire... other dated items (window nets, fuel cells, suits, etc may be used past their "expiration" *as long as they are in good condition when inspected*.

7 minutes ago, Gearhead_42 said:

FWIW I was told by tech when I asked about this that the harness and helmet are the only dated items that expire... other dated items (window nets, fuel cells, suits, etc may be used past their "expiration" *as long as they are in good condition when inspected*.

New years Sebring/ 18 annual tech got us a warning to replace our window net by next race, this is the 2nd one in champcar we have had expire and told to replace.

4 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

New years Sebring/ 18 annual tech got us a warning to replace our window net by next race, this is the 2nd one in champcar we have had expire and told to replace.

Reeeeeaaaallllyyyyy.... hmm.  Another case of diff'rnt enforcement across regions/officials?  That's gonna suck, mine's a funky shape to cover the front section of the window and the rewebbing service is... not cheap.

Not sure, this seems to be one of those items subject to opinion (remember I sometimes DD the thing, perhaps it looked too used?) Never have had a suit "time out" just wear out.

1 minute ago, Gearhead_42 said:

Reeeeeaaaallllyyyyy.... hmm.  Another case of diff'rnt enforcement across regions/officials?

48 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

They were also checking dates on Hans devices.

OK, so I went back through some prior documentation.  As usual, it's inconsistent and open to fuzzy interpretation depending on who you ask.

In April of 2016, RD's were stating when asked that the only tagged items that expire were harnesses.

In July of 2016 a petition was submitted to the board to formalize the expiration of harnesses (and window nets) to a 2 year expiration.  As far as I can tell that petition was *NOT* accepted.

The BCCR for 2018 *specifically* calls out the expiration of harnesses in their own subsection (3.4).  Harnesses expire December 31st 4 years after date of manufacture for SFI-only rated, December 31st of dated year of expiration for FIA.  That is in 3.4 (harnesses) ONLY.

The separate subsection on window nets and arm restraints (3.5) does NOT state any expiration term. 

The section on helmets states a specific date range (SA2010 or newer) for helmets but states that helmet restraint systems (HANS) must only be of FIA or SFI approved type (no date range/expiration called out)

The section of suits *specifically* states that they do NOT expire  but must be maintained in good condition.

27 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

What expiration dates are they using for HANS devices?  The one I have shows date of manufacture.

No idea. Mine is carbon FIA so no expiration.  Tethers do have expiration dates on them though.    

2 hours ago, Snake said:

No idea. Mine is carbon FIA so no expiration.  Tethers do have expiration dates on them though.    

Both my HANS and tethers only have date of manufacture.  I wonder if the HANS tether is part of the driver restraint harness that needs to be replaced after 4 years?

10 hours ago, Ron_e said:

Both my HANS and tethers only have date of manufacture.  I wonder if the HANS tether is part of the driver restraint harness that needs to be replaced after 4 years?

I think my tether have a 2019 date on them IIRC. 

Archived