Sign in to follow this  
Wink

Air Dam/Splitter Questions

2 hours ago, Mopar 4 Life said:

Yeah youre telling me. Lap a  DODGE viper but race a Mazda. Ralph Gilles is crying....

The last time I saw Ralph Gilles at the track he was racing a Miata.... 

48 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

He's got a bunch of stuff he and his wife tracks.

Still waiting on a VPI for my car.....

Edited by Snake

5 hours ago, mender said:

If they had made one it would have looked like this:

1f2fef735acbf5d8bfbb3f0016ee2643--plymou

Still ugly.

Just now, Bandit said:

Still ugly.

But iconic.

I remember seeing one in '74 at a used car lot for $2500.

1 hour ago, mender said:

But iconic.

I remember seeing one in '74 at a used car lot for $2500.

The old man sold a 67 Tri Power Vette for 2500 back then. 

Marlboro red with factory sidepipes. Different era.

• Like 1

In 1975 a used car dealer in Nashville TN had three superbirds on the lot , when I left in 76 they were still there flat tires and all . 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

23 hours ago, jmabarone said:

One of these things is not like the others!  

Either of you guys want to adopt me?  

18 hours ago, Bandit said:

Your home shop is bigger than some local businesses.  :lol:

Pulled most of the cars out yesterday for a quick photo shoot.  Yep, thats why we bought this house, 2200 sqft house with a 2800 sqft shop out back :)

IMG_20180119_103939.jpg

• Like 8

13 hours ago, mender said:

If they had made one it would have looked like this:

1f2fef735acbf5d8bfbb3f0016ee2643--plymou

yes but the nose on the orange one seems like it is upside down. this white 71 Charger is moe like it. I think both cars are Dayclona cars. 3799.jpg3799.jpg

2 hours ago, MoparBoyy said:

Pulled most of the cars out yesterday for a quick photo shoot.  Yep, thats why we bought this house, 2200 sqft house with a 2800 sqft shop out back :)

IMG_20180119_103939.jpg

Jeezus, where did I go wrong...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

yes but the nose on the orange one seems like it is upside down. 

Yeah. Looks like it would lift like a C2 with that nose.

White one looks like it would make some downforce.

On 1/20/2018 at 12:02 PM, karman1970 said:

Jeezus, where did I go wrong...

the 3 middle cars aren't mine.  I'm just as broke as everyone else on these forums.

Edited by MoparBoyy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2018-01-19 at 10:58 PM, thewheelerZ said:

Its not really Ralph if he is not wearing the special suit.

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mopar 4 Life said:

Its not really Ralph if he is not wearing the special suit.

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

Oh... did I touch a nerve with that comment? A little defensive today are we?:D

Back to the original topic, could you just do an unlimited aero package for 50 points? I like you have 10pts splitter/airdam and wing. The sqft aren't as accureate and can be cheated a little, so make it one set of points for everything. I saw 10pts for flatbottom, diffuser, and skits mentioned earlier in the thread, and my idea is to make a package deal all in for 50 pts.

2 hours ago, The Aero Man said:

Back to the original topic, could you just do an unlimited aero package for 50 points? I like you have 10pts splitter/airdam and wing. The sqft aren't as accureate and can be cheated a little, so make it one set of points for everything. I saw 10pts for flatbottom, diffuser, and skits mentioned earlier in the thread, and my idea is to make a package deal all in for 50 pts.

The package deal is 40 points.

Any passive aero in front of the front wheel centerline and below the hood (splitter+air dam) = 10 points

Any passive aero between the axles (flat bottom) = 10 points

Any passive aero behind the rear axle and below the rear bumper (diffuser) = 10 points

Any single element wing = 10 points

This is what 40 points of aero looks like:

Image may contain: car

Image may contain: car, sky, cloud and outdoor

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Hard to see, but there's an underbody and diffuser in that picture.  No breaks from tip to tail.  This arrangement has been 40 points for a year.  Come check our logbook (GWR #991) at Road Atlanta if you all don't believe me.

And will all you donkey-holes stop speculating about crap on the forums??? (not directed at you @The Aero Man, you're just trying to find out what's up)  The level poop posted here with no or poor evidence is astounding.  Confirm fact, then post.  The other way around just pisses people off.

Ok, now I'll go find Bill's camera setup instructions that I originally came here looking for, and get back to prepping my car.  Thank you to this thread for reminding me why I stopped visiting the forum. And @The Aero Man, sorry for ranting on your reply.  @Wink, hopefully that answered your question.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Guess I need those special glasses, all I see in the rules is this:

• wings/splitters (carbon fiber not allowed): 10 pts/ea

I like your version better, and that's a fact. :)

1 hour ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

Any passive aero in front of the front wheel centerline and below the hood (splitter+air dam) = 10 points

Any passive aero behind the rear axle and below the rear bumper (diffuser) = 10 points

Hard to see, but there's an underbody and diffuser in that picture.  No breaks from tip to tail.  This arrangement has been 40 points for a year.  Come check our logbook (GWR #991) at Road Atlanta if you all don't believe me.

And will all you donkey-holes stop speculating about crap on the forums??? (not directed at you @The Aero Man, you're just trying to find out what's up)  The level poop posted here with no or poor evidence is astounding.  Confirm fact, then post.  The other way around just pisses people off.

Ok, now I'll go find Bill's camera setup instructions that I originally came here looking for, and get back to prepping my car.  Thank you to this thread for reminding me why I stopped visiting the forum. And @The Aero Man, sorry for ranting on your reply.  @Wink, hopefully that answered your question.

Why do you Have the word passive in your post so many times?

Is active aero more points?  How many more points?

11 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Why do you Have the word passive in your post so many times?

Is active aero more points?  How many more points?

Maybe he is a passive kind of guy.  :lol:

2 hours ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

I think what pisses people off more is when you have to go to the forum to learn that diffuser and underbody are 10 pts each, because they aren’t listed in the rule book :angry:

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

No offense taken. I know where the part is about 10pts for a wing and splitter, but it is just and unwritten rule that in between the wheels is 10, and  diffuser is 10?

3 hours ago, The Aero Man said:

No offense taken. I know where the part is about 10pts for a wing and splitter, but it is just and unwritten rule that in between the wheels is 10, and  diffuser is 10?

So yes and no...

Tech determines how to apply the rules, and tech likes simple fixed point values, so tech has determined that its 10 points per aero "region" based on the rules that are written, that is how tech "applies" the rules, which is whats important (if you actually have a car and show up to a race and plan to go through tech)..

Now what needs to happen of course, is tech needs to feed those items back to leadership...  so things like this can be added to the rulebook, and other things like "modified stock fuel tanks" could have been clarified as illegal sooner..   that is the step thats not happening...  or not happening fast enough...  I know phil had a hand in the simplification of the rule book to its current form, but clearly there is more work to be done.

• Thanks 2

A diffuser without a flat bottom is a parachute...  they should be 1 point value.

2 minutes ago, Huggy said:

A diffuser without a flat bottom is a parachute...  they should be 1 point value.

If someone wants to put a parachute on their car, I won’t stand in their way. 10 points each is nice and simple, don’t go wrapping them up into a 20 point “all or nothing” package. 

8 minutes ago, enginerd said:

If someone wants to put a parachute on their car, I won’t stand in their way. 10 points each is nice and simple, don’t go wrapping them up into a 20 point “all or nothing” package. 

Ok, so 10 points for a diffuser, wether it’s built properly or not.