On 2/7/2018 at 10:44 AM, Jab31169 said:

Time for a little "You Be The Judge":

So earlier in the thread, we talked about the turn 6 incident involving our car, a Miata, and a Lexus IS300.  Well we pulled the video from both forward and rear-facing cameras and well...it paints a different picture than I had thought.  I have my opinions on it, but I want to hear yours @drew_peele

My two cents:

I don't think the camera car deserved a penalty.  He could have left more room, but that isn't deserving of a penalty - the other guys need to make the pass safe.  The miata gets a lot of the blame from my perspective - if you are going to pass someone it is a good idea to indicate your intention by going inside early (this wasn't a sprint race where you have to hide your intentions).  By going low, you let the leading car know "I am hoping you will leave me room".  You also signal the to the car behind you "I plan on passing this guy before you pass me".  If the miata had done that, the lexus probabaly would have come in with less speed, the camera car would have stayed wider and stayed out longer, and everyone would have been fine.  The lexus gets some blame too, but the miata was the one that had the most opportunity to make the outcome different.

Sometimes  "go inside early" results in a reaction from the lead car (i.e. he moves to what could be called a blocking line).  That doesn't mean you shouldn't use that approach.  The "block" that he throws is much easier to deal with than the "slammed door" you would have gotten if you waited until the last minute to dive in.  You have said "I want you to give me room" and he has said "not in this corner".  Best to learn that BEFORE you are beside him.

EDIT 2/12/18:  I just saw the miata footage that just got posted later in this thread (page 12)  The camera car above (the white BMW) definitely left plenty of room for the miata.  The Lexus gets more credit for the problem now that the additional point of view is available, but the points made above about making your passing intentions known are still valid.  I will add that if the miata driver saw the Lexus coming, he should have known that blocking the path of the Lexus wasn't going to work out for someone (i.e. there aren't 3 lanes there and the Lexus was coming like a freight train).  If the miata had stayed in line, the Lexus might have taken out the BMW anyhow (or blown by on the inside of T6 on the way to the gravel trap).  I guess the other thing worth remembering when you are out on the track is "if he wasn't in your mirror the last time you looked and now he is, he might be closing pretty fast."

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Jab31169 said:

Time for a little "You Be The Judge":

So earlier in the thread, we talked about the turn 6 incident involving our car, a Miata, and a Lexus IS300.  Well we pulled the video from both forward and rear-facing cameras and well...it paints a different picture than I had thought.  I have my opinions on it, but I want to hear yours @drew_peele

It's the last second passes that causes so many crashes in this and other series.  I would call this a racing incident, but before pulling out, always check your mirrors.  The Miata made a last second dive move, catching two cars off guard.  I saw the previous poster talked about penalties.  The camera car doesn't deserve one in my opinion, but it can be hard from a flag station determining blame.    

Edited by Jer
  • Like 3

Where was the Lexus going to take that HUGE run?  That was a crazy speed differential.  It was like the Lexus assumed there was going to be a magic opening at the apex. 

Agreed that the Miata could have mitigated it.  However, if the camera car wasnt there, I still think the Lexus would have punted the Miata.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, wvumtnbkr said:

Where was the Lexus going to take that HUGE run?  That was a crazy speed differential.  It was like the Lexus assumed there was going to be a magic opening at the apex. 

Agreed that the Miata could have mitigated it.  However, if the camera car wasnt there, I still think the Lexus would have punted the Miata.

Without any warning as to what the Miata was going to do, I agree.  Be predictable.  The Miata was not predictable.  

34 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

Always glad to have you guys around.  I know I look up to the way your team is run as our goal to become that efficient and fast.

Well I hope you didn't take notes at this race.  Do you remember Jack's drawing on the placemat at dinner the night before of the monkey and the football?  That's the way we were at the beginning of this race trying to get ready to go out that morning and it just continued to snowball.  Actually it started before we ever left Birmingham when one of the rv's quit before it made it out of the driveway and then it's brake caliper hung up in lane 4 of the 8 lane coming through Atlanta with no shoulder.  You win these races in the weeks and days leading up to the race, you just execute it at the race.  It just continues to prove itself out.

And I left y'all out of the note above because we had already talked, y'all did a helluva job digging your way back into a top 20 given all the stuff you faced.  Y'all are doing just fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

My two cents:

I don't think the camera car deserved a penalty. 

Can't see why camera car would get a penalty either.  Didn't know that was the case. According to CC rules I can see where the other two would (for contact) - but neither or both are to blame for that one.

To add some clarity to the MPR story...

Poised to get going with 5 anxious drivers. Got the lucky draw being pit 28 when P20 was selected from the hat. Put us in 8th on the grid. First driver proceeds to get us in the top 10 in earnest. Coming down T12 the 935 car spun at turn  in and we got knocked. Fortunately that did not end our day. Sawzall and BFH, standard CC toolkit, and we were on our way. Even Sgt. Schultz was in shock with the deftness of the repair...(see photo). Rest of the day was pretty much clockwork. Nice smooth driving and lots of smiling drivers came back to the pits with a car that just loves to go. Penny is a go-getter. My stint was a blast around 2-4pm, sun came out temps warmed up and I had some of the best W2W racing I have ever experienced in any form, NASA, WRL, CC. The RVA guys next to us were a blast, good times. The other EC cars were falling by the wayside later in the day. By sunset we had a commanding lead and all that was left to be done was bring it home and go get some more hardware. Cannot wait for the next opportunity to race with you guys!

Videos coming soon.

MPR-RA-Analysis-2018.jpg

CC-RA-Sgt-Schultz.jpg

Edited by AtlJimK
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Burningham said:

You win these races in the weeks and days leading up to the race, you just execute it at the race.

So true, Phillipe gave me high praises after the race in respect to our cars ability to seemingly chug along endlessly, that is substantial coming from owner to another owner.:wub:

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

I think Chip summed it up pretty well.  The Miata probably thought he could follow the E36 through T6, but the E36 was slow, so he made a late move without checking his mirrors.  It's hard to tell, but it sure looks like the Lexus was carrying too much speed into the turn and had to use the Miata for a little extra braking.  A little (and I mean just a little) extra caution from either driver and there's no incident here.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jab31169 said:

I was always looking up at doc in the booth of timing and scoring trying to wave at him....he never waved back

Oh, and IF I had noticed you would have been mooned for sure!!! Guaranteed!!!

Edited by Doc
  • Haha 3

VRG race recap

We started in 2nd dropped to 12th then clawed our way back up to 8th by hour 5.50.  We tried new tires because our usual's were not available and our car ABSOLUTELY hated them!!  We couldn't carry our speed through the turns.  51/2 hours in we had smoke in the cabin.  Our muffler cracked badly on top which directed all of the hot gases into the shifter body opening(melting the shift boot).  2 hours later it was all fixed and we were back on track.  We did 1 more 2 hour stint and then decided to pack up and get a head start on our 18 hour tow home through the winter storm.  Hopefully our tires will arrive before Charlotte, in the meantime I'm going to lose another 60lbs from the car.

Ron

4 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

(I had the benefit of not having to sound informed and intelligent for 14 hours)

Another one fooled...:lol:

Thanks for watching!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Before people start wondering about censorship on the forum....  I deleted it.  If no one laughs in the first hour, it isn't funny enough.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, AtlJimK said:

To add some clarity to the MPR story...

Poised to get going with 5 anxious drivers. Got the lucky draw being pit 28 when P20 was selected from the hat. Put us in 8th on the grid. First driver proceeds to get us in the top 10 in earnest. Coming down T12 the 935 car spun at turn  in and we got knocked. Fortunately that did not end our day. Sawzall and BFH, standard CC toolkit, and we were on our way. Even Sgt. Schultz was in shock with the deftness of the repair...(see photo). Rest of the day was pretty much clockwork. Nice smooth driving and lots of smiling drivers came back to the pits with a car that just loves to go. Penny is a go-getter. My stint was a blast around 2-4pm, sun came out temps warmed up and I had some of the best W2W racing I have ever experienced in any form, NASA, WRL, CC. The RVA guys next to us were a blast, good times. The other EC cars were falling by the wayside later in the day. By sunset we had a commanding lead and all that was left to be done was bring it home and go get some more hardware. Cannot wait for the next opportunity to race with you guys!

Videos coming soon.

MPR-RA-Analysis-2018.jpg

CC-RA-Sgt-Schultz.jpg

To follow up on our discussions at the track.  I apologize for the early contact.  Cold tires early in the morning and the car snapped around unexpectedly entering 12.  Very sorry you guys got caught in my spin and very glad you were able to bounce back and win EC.  Look forward to racing against you again in the future.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

How many GB does it consume per event?

It looks like we used about 15gigs between Friday and Sat.   

• Like 1

Just now, Snake said:

It looks like we used about 15gigs between Friday and Sat.   

Thats about right where you should be...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CWag said:

To follow up on our discussions at the track.  I apologize for the early contact.  Cold tires early in the morning and the car snapped around unexpectedly entering 12.  Very sorry you guys got caught in my spin and very glad you were able to bounce back and win EC.  Look forward to racing against you again in the future.

No worries.  It was just one of those bad luck racing deals.  Strangest thing about it is that the wall did some damage to the bumper and killed the fender but the suspension is fine.  But the brand new mass air meter I put on the car Friday broke in the crash?  Just odd.:wacko:

A BIG thanks to the RVA guys as their side by side and a tow rope yanked the fender and splitter off the tire in no time and we were back out on the track.

Edited by MPRLkld
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I checked the mirrors at the start of the straight. I agree I waited to the last minute to turn it but didn't know the BMW was going to go that slow and at the point had no idea the Lexus had made that much of a charge... didn't keep us from placing though we had other stupid incidents with the car like losing the pulley of the harmonic balancer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wyatt said:

There are a fair few moments in that video where it looks like someone hit the fast forward button.

On an unrelated note, I am still up at 2AM working on a fuel system problem.  At this point I'm soaked in fuel and the wife won't let me in bed this way but I'm pretty sure I've got the problem solved!  #racecarlife

• Like 5

40 min of basic rotating and random traffic management., end of stint 2, beginning of stint 3, toward the end there is a little miata induced oversteer+agriculture.

• Like 1