Jump to content

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Huggy said:

 

So: was it a  fuel cell or the stock tank dragging?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

We actually refer to you as "THAT" guy...among other things. :lol:

 You're not the first nor will you be the last! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mender said:

So: was it a  fuel cell or the stock tank dragging?

Team will have to answer that conclusively, but it appeared to me to be the stock tank.  I saw sparks and what looked tank-ish, so I GTFO as quick as possible.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, drew_peele said:

 

We got into a racing incident going into turn 6. A BMW was very slow entering the braking zone for the corner, the Miata behind made a move inside not expecting him to be that slow. We committed to the inside just before the Miata made the move to avoid hitting the BMW which led to us hitting the right rear of the Miata with our left front. We were just trying to put some time on the car at the is race getting it ready for future events. So after the incident, we got what we wanted to be accomplished and parked the car. Thankfully the Miata was able to continue the race.

 

Yea, that was one of our rental drivers.  We made a tactical error putting that person in the car for the opening stint (Drivers home track).  The renter spun in 5 on the first lap and lost 40 spots, was rattled after that and got really slow.  We got hit with a 5 min stop for contact on that one.  Sorry about that guys, glad no one was hurt and everyone was able to continue on.

Edited by Jab31169
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was driving the other Junction car.  It was the stock tank and the strap broke.  Communication system failed with the driver of the 18 when this happened so he drove 2 laps with the tank dragging eventually tearing a hole in it.  We had gotten in contact with RC to black flag him as soon as someone let us know about it.  Could have been way worse, but fortunately the pit in crew was on top of it and got the car doused with suppressant before anything actually lit up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, revvhappy said:

Whoever came up with the test day rules should get a raise. Two sessions with point bys let us get good information without the threat of someone making an unexpected appearance.

 

I dunno about this one, seemed like you had a lot of drivers who either didn't go to the drivers meeting or didn't pay attention to there mirrors.  Lots of conga lines which lead to aggressive passes by people mad at the folks not giving points.  I had several times that I was waiting on a point that the person behind me thought I wasn't giving a point and would take the double pass.  Then you had folks who didn't think we had to give points and by the time I got my hand out the window they were already 2 cars in front of me.  It was rather confusing and frustrating at points.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally HATE point by sessions.  In fact I won't pay money to run them if I know about them.  You learn very little and always get hung up by someone not paying attention.  yuck.  But it's usually a track by track call...

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Wyatt said:

I had a fun time driving the Not Banned Yet #307 this weekend. It was a fun turn of pace from my E30s!

 

Fine work, that car was a freaking rocket.  I'd see it coming over the hill when I was going into 6 and by the time I got out of 7 they were already blowing past me.  1:38 at rd atl is fast, like really, really fast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, macheesy said:

I was driving the other Junction car.  It was the stock tank and the strap broke.  Communication system failed with the driver of the 18 when this happened so he drove 2 laps with the tank dragging eventually tearing a hole in it.  We had gotten in contact with RC to black flag him as soon as someone let us know about it.  Could have been way worse, but fortunately the pit in crew was on top of it and got the car doused with suppressant before anything actually lit up.

On radio failures. We lost a race by a half a second because we lost comms. We have a set of pit boards now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jer said:

I personally HATE point by sessions.  In fact I won't pay money to run them if I know about them.  You learn very little and always get hung up by someone not paying attention.  yuck.  But it's usually a track by track call...

 

I had more issues with other drivers during 30-45 minutes of testing than I did during the race. I mean who would possibly think that going on the brakes at the apex of T1 to give a point-by up the hill would be a good idea? Just some real sketchy poop out there on Friday, but thankfully no major incidents either day. And hopefully the #649 Civic driver walked away without injury after crashing on the front straight. 

S. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snorman said:

I had more issues with other drivers during 30-45 minutes of testing than I did during the race. I mean who would possibly think that going on the brakes at the apex of T1 to give a point-by up the hill would be a good idea? Just some real sketchy poop out there on Friday, but thankfully no major incidents either day. And hopefully the #649 Civic driver walked away without injury after crashing on the front straight. 

S. 

 

I was two cars behind the #649, I watched it happen.  That was a pretty hard hit.  Is the driver ok?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Snorman said:

We ask at the drivers' meeting at pretty much every race we attend if they are going to black flag second pace cars. If you can't grasp the concept of catching the car in front of you under a FCY then you should be black flagged, smacked in the head with a tack hammer, and parked in the box for 5-minutes while your team fumes at you in the pit stall. 

S. 

 

At the Barber race I caught a car, can't remember who, doing this 2nd pace car thing.  I get right on the bumper and start motioning the pointing finger to go, go, go but he continued to no-go, no-go, no-go.  I was watching the broadcast later and it was said "I see the Burningham driver motioning, but if I was in the car ahead I wouldn't know what to make of that".  Hmm, guess if it wasn't for getting black flagged maybe a bump might make it a little more obvious.  Don't get me wrong, if it is a safety issue then by all means, but when you are clear of the incident(s) and safety vehicles pick up the pace a little.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Burningham said:

 

At the Barber race I caught a car, can't remember who, doing this 2nd pace car thing.  I get right on the bumper and start motioning the pointing finger to go, go, go but he continued to no-go, no-go, no-go.  I was watching the broadcast later and it was said "I see the Burningham driver motioning, but if I was in the car ahead I wouldn't know what to make of that".  Hmm, guess if it wasn't for getting black flagged maybe a bump might make it a little more obvious.  Don't get me wrong, if it is a safety issue then by all means, but when you are clear of the incident(s) and safety vehicles pick up the pace a little.

Like this? Note: the team captain for this car spoke with us privately and told us that he would speak with his drivers after this incident, but it's a great example. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to be fair to some of the slower drivers, one of the FCYs (i beleive the 11:30am one) a pace car was never sent out to bunch up the field.  That is on the series, not the slower drivers.   I was sitting there in the pits trying to figure out what was going on.  I asked one of the pit marshalls and they didn't know and said it wasnt their call.  If the track is full course, pace car NEEDS to be deployed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Wyatt said:

I had a fun time driving the Not Banned Yet #307 this weekend. It was a fun turn of pace from my E30s!

 

I started the race and opened up a pretty decent lead before the Power steering went out totally around 20 or so minutes in. Shortly after that I was passing that white Trans Am/Camaro on the outside under the bridge down to 12. The car gave me room initially and then just tracked into the RR of the car as if they didn't know I was there. Which put in a few extra degrees of camber and some toe.

 

After that incident I thought the driving was excellent by all involved. Definitely a great and exciting race at the end. We went from 2nd to the lead after the Saab had an issue before our second wheel bearing of the day put us out of contention for the podium.

 

Still had a great time with everyone at Ballenger Motorsports. Very fun car to drive! Just wish it wasn't so cold!

 

Congrats to my buddies at Huggins Racing. Yes, there was merciless teasing aimed my way, probably took a shot at me in the post race interview too haha!

 

I'll catch you guys next time ;)

Hey there, We were pitted with ya'll in pit #36, the other Bclass 240 SX. We found a pair of prescription sunglasses in the pit after the race. I have them. Please email rxdoc2011@bellsouth.net if they are yours.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Snake said:

Just to be fair to some of the slower drivers, one of the FCYs (i beleive the 11:30am one) a pace car was never sent out to bunch up the field.  That is on the series, not the slower drivers.   I was sitting there in the pits trying to figure out what was going on.  I asked one of the pit marshalls and they didn't know and said it wasnt their call.  If the track is full course, pace car NEEDS to be deployed. 

Why?  Just keep up with the car in front of you.  No big deal.

 

Having a pace car out front usually just leads to accordion action and stoppages on track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MARC RUTHERFORD said:

found a pair of prescription sunglasses in the pit after the race.

One of our guys was saying something about glasses, let me ask him.

Edited by Team Infiniti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, krispykritter said:

 

You think so?  The engine we blew here 'only' had 128k on it when we swapped it in.  Literally had no sign it was going bad until it exploded.  What do you guys look for in an engine?  I'm scared of anything used as contours are kinda the 'buy it and just drive it until it dies' kind of car - no oil changes or basic maintenance kind of things.

 

From some past experience with a Contour and blowing an engine, that V6 has/had some issues with oil drain-back from the head.   From what I remember, a couple of the oil passages in the heads (or maybe block?) were not always cast correctly, limiting flow back down to the sump (or maybe not sized correct / adequate # of passages from the start).  High RPM, you basically fill the head up with all the oil that needs to be in the pan.  Add in G-forces and what little bit left in the sump misses the pick-up.   Bigger issue on right-handers, which ATL has a few of....  I recall hearing stories of people hot-rodding SVTs around big clover-leaf on-ramps and having the motor go.  I lost my motor at Firebird coming out of one of the big right-hand sweepers.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, NigelStu said:

From some past experience with a Contour and blowing an engine, that V6 has/had some issues with oil drain-back from the head.   From what I remember, a couple of the oil passages in the heads (or maybe block?) were not always cast correctly, limiting flow back down to the sump (or maybe not sized correct / adequate # of passages from the start).  High RPM, you basically fill the head up with all the oil that needs to be in the pan.  Add in G-forces and what little bit left in the sump misses the pick-up.   Bigger issue on right-handers, which ATL has a few of....  I recall hearing stories of people hot-rodding SVTs around big clover-leaf on-ramps and having the motor go.  I lost my motor at Firebird coming out of one of the big right-hand sweepers.

 

I did that with my contour SVT, spun the bearings on a long right hand clover leaf style on ramp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FlorahDorah said:

On radio failures. We lost a race by a half a second because we lost comms. We have a set of pit boards now. 

 

That was used as well to no avail... I was frantically waving my arms with the board saying IN.... RA wall is rather high.. so I guess drivers are too focused ahead as opposed to above... 

 

Actually... if you look in the video.. You can see me near the end of the wall with my board... but.. again.. it's high up..and blazing speed coming into your braking zone.

Edited by KSRD
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you to the Champcar staff for a great weekend. Phil for being reasonable and firm. I know you have a safety standard to uphold and integrity.. I respect

 

It was one hell of a weekend for us, but we kept battling and prevailed..

 

19hr drive down, 14hr race, 20hrs back (white out conditions). 3300kms on my ODO.  I'm beat. Can't wait to get some good sleep tonight.

 

 

27845594_10155780103921208_1076738851_o.thumb.jpg.b7eff836b974869ff61c787a9fc3bc38.jpg

 

27785599_10155780103836208_1682987222_o.thumb.jpg.3ab9ade8f4d810cc6fd5c79d947f2739.jpg27786512_10155780103911208_157921425_o.thumb.jpg.270cac5d564dfafcda0fe0237f6a5821.jpg
 

 
Edited by KSRD
  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, reidry said:

 

Was that our BMW, #52 Black and Silver?  One of the Lexus drivers came to talk with my team while I was in the car and apologized about contacting us in the rear.

 

Does anyone know the team One Piece at a Time driving the #95 White 1980 Z28 Camaro?  If so could you please pass a request to contact me via PM.

I believe that was my rookie driver during our second night stint in the red and black SC300.  I was worried that he was going to have an issue as he went three wide in the middle into turn one on his second stint outlap...

 

He was instructed not to push passing as we were not in contention after a few teething issues in the mid afternoon stints developed that put us way down the running order (other than the satisfaction of finishing).  I made sure he went looking for your team to apologize and I want to do the same.  Hope the damage wasn't extensive.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hurljohn said:

I believe that was my rookie driver during our second night stint in the red and black SC300.  I was worried that he was going to have an issue as he went three wide in the middle into turn one on his second stint outlap...

 

He was instructed not to push passing as we were not in contention after a few teething issues in the mid afternoon stints developed that put us way down the running order (other than the satisfaction of finishing).  I made sure he went looking for your team to apologize and I want to do the same.  Hope the damage wasn't extensive.

 

John

 

Really appreciate the apology, damage certainly was not extensive.  Car is still in the trailer, but I doubt the repair is more than a few zip ties on the bumper cover.  Look forward to racing with you in the future, maybe Daytona?

 

Ryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

One of our guys was saying something about glasses, let me ask him.

Sorry, they weren't sunglasses but eye glasses. Look expensive. I can send pic from my phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Why?  Just keep up with the car in front of you.  No big deal.

 

Having a pace car out front usually just leads to accordion action and stoppages on track.

 

Apparently it is a big deal for some people. We had no pace car at Laguna Seca and had a second pace car situation at the start of the race. I don't know what to say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×