Caliper adapter build material

Ronh911

• Technical Advisory Committee

Various things all come into play.  Is that a photo of your part?  Are you copying/duplicating a commercially available design or is this 100% custom?  What is rotor diameter?  What is Caliper design?  Lug mount or Radial mount? Weight of car stopping?  Heat load of brakes?  How much factor of safety do you want? 

Do you have a 3d model? Have you run it through FEA?  Do they HAVE to be aluminum or would you consider alternate materials?

27 minutes ago, Ronh911 said:

Hi everyone,

I need to make aluminum caliper adapters that are machinable.  Are there any metallurgical or materials engineers on here who can recommend an aluminum type?  Safety is my number 1 priority.

Thanks Ron

5a82142b18efe_caliperadapterresize.jpg.9769103d41751df0e1ddd49aaa22de3e.jpg

@Slugworks Paul made adapters for some caliper conversion on DSMs, maybe he did some due diligence on material spec and can chime in.

Edited by enginerd

11 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Various things all come into play.  Is that a photo of your part?  Are you copying/duplicating a commercially available design or is this 100% custom?  What is rotor diameter?  What is Caliper design?  Lug mount or Radial mount? Weight of car stopping?  Heat load of brakes?  How much factor of safety do you want? 

Do you have a 3d model? Have you run it through FEA?  Do they HAVE to be aluminum or would you consider alternate materials?

This was a commercially available part but no longer available so I need to "copy" it (custom make it).  Rotors=11.75D, Wilwood aluminum radial mount,  2400LBS W/driver and full tank.  I would consider alternate materials but I am trying to keep the weight down.

Edited by Ronh911

Is your machinist going to get it right on the first try? Spring for a stick of 2024 T4 or T3 and never worry about them ever. Copper antisieze, proper torque, and run toughened (not hardened) bolts long enough to use the full thread depth without sticking out past the hole.

Edited by Gearhead_42
Mixed my T's

Ron,

Use a radial mount off another car and redrill the holes for the spindle. Much easier than making your own. 

If needed you can even use a flat plate between the new mount (use a generic race knuckle one) and your knuckle. 

The cost to machine this vs a flat plate or hole relocation and spacers will be huge.