Jump to content

1992 Honda Civic with B18B swap


mender
 Share

Recommended Posts

We purchased Curtwill's Scrap Attack Honda Civic to have some fun with and to add a few new members to the team. I'm going through the paperwork to sort out what the TCV is for this car and I have a question about the VPi of the base/swap combination.

 

The swap calculator shows three choices for civics that year:

1. Civic/CRX/delSol (D15)

2. Civic/CRX/delSol (D16 non-VTEC)

3. Civic/CRX/delSol (D16 VTEC)

 

The base car, #1, which is the car I have is 150 pts; the other two are 200 points. The B18B engine that was swapped in is non-VTEC: does that affect which selection to make?

 

The Honda alphabet soup car and engine codes are starting to make sense but ... :rolleyes: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
24 minutes ago, mender said:

We purchased Curtwill's Scrap Attack Honda Civic to have some fun with and to add a few new members to the team. I'm going through the paperwork to sort out what the TCV is for this car and I have a question about the VPi of the base/swap combination.

 

The swap calculator shows three choices for civics that year:

1. Civic/CRX/delSol (D15)

2. Civic/CRX/delSol (D16 non-VTEC)

3. Civic/CRX/delSol (D16 VTEC)

 

The base car, #1, which is the car I have is 150 pts; the other two are 200 points. The B18B engine that was swapped in is non-VTEC: does that affect which selection to make?

 

The Honda alphabet soup car and engine codes are starting to make sense but ... :rolleyes: 

 

I will gladly help you out with this. 

 

You did not post any details about the car, but I think I saw a picture of it being an EG Hatch. That means that the highest trim of the car was the Civic Si - which will need to be used as the starting value. The D16Z6 - SOHC Vtec engine was the Civic Si engine from 92-95 . 

 

It looks like the starting VPI is 200 and the swap adds 50 points. The B18B swap into an EG is super cheap, so you will be under $1500 for the swap and should incur no further value from the swap. You probably have a trans swap from an Integra too so that will be 25 points on top of the 50 for the motor swap. 

 

 

 

Edited by red0
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, red0 said:

 

I will gladly help you out with this. 

 

You did not post any details about the car, but I think I saw a picture of it being an EG Hatch. That means that the highest trim of the car was the Civic Si - which will need to be used as the starting value. The D16Z6 - SOHC Vtec engine was the Civic Si engine from 92-95 . 

 

It looks like the starting VPI is 200 and the swap adds 50 points. The B18B swap into an EG is super cheap, so you will be under $1500 for the swap and should incur no further value from the swap. You probably have a trans swap from an Integra too so that will be 25 points on top of the 50 for the motor swap. 

 

 

 

You forgot the need for new non cheaty gas tank 😎

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A very strict reading of the rules says "4.5.6. Vehicles must use the highest valued model from its generation."

A '92 is a 5th generation Civic, which ran until 1995. The B16 listed on the VPI table is 350 points, BUT the B16 was never offered in the 5th gen Civic in the US (it was in European and JDM Si models) The USDM received the D16 VTEC in 5th gen Si. That model is 200 points, and that's what I would use as your starting point. If anyone complains you point to 2.2.1. which is the USDM rule.

 

*I'm not a Honda expect, this is a study of the wikipedia pages.

 

Stock tank for your 92 might be 10 gallons depending on trim. While you're at it, claim to be the '95 with 11.9 gallons.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

quick calculation to what I know was on it at sale

car-200+50 swap= 250 base

trans-25

rear sway-20

rad-20

cr. pulley-5

mounts-20

header-25

plastic-6

steel-2

strut brace if you use it-10

total as presented - 383

 

this car was at 501 with all the same goodies but all of the freebies now allowed so the BMW guys didn't pout :) when we stomped them bring the total down considerably

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, curtwill said:

mounts-20

header-25

 

this car was at 501 with all the same goodies but all of the freebies now allowed so the BMW guys didn't pout :) when we stomped them bring the total down considerably

 

It's a swap. Mounts and header are "free" if you say "required for swap". Otherwise, those numbers look good. The "140 hp" B18B is a 50 point swap for this car.

#secretrulebook

#sillyrulebook

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
1 minute ago, takjak2 said:

 

It's a swap. Mounts and header are "free" if you say "required for swap". Otherwise, those numbers look good. The "140 hp" B18B is a 50 point swap for this car.

#secretrulebook

#sillyrulebook

 

The mounts are free, but the header is not for a b series swap into an EG.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, karman1970 said:

Assuming they are stock mounts. If they are aftermarket poly or some such they should be points, right?

How would you swaping a 305 chevy in to an rx7, using stock mounts? No, mounts are  part of the $1500 swap total.

Just because a civic happens to have stock mounts that work doesn't mean you have to use them. 

In the rule motor mounts are included with a swap but it doesn't say stock.

4.5.3. Engine swaps include stock long block, stock exhaust manifolds, stock induction system, motor mounts, starter, ECU, wiring, and transmission adapters

Edited by morganf
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, curtwill said:

quick calculation to what I know was on it at sale

car-200+50 swap= 250 base

trans-25

rear sway-20

rad-20

cr. pulley-5

mounts-20

header-25

plastic-6

steel-2

strut brace if you use it-10

total as presented - 383

 

this car was at 501 with all the same goodies but all of the freebies now allowed so the BMW guys didn't pout :) when we stomped them bring the total down considerably

Engine mounts are 10/engine so 373 points total or 363 by Morgan's count.

 

Thanks for all the help, guys, I was mostly trying to understand how tech would assess the base car. As usual I was overthinking. :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mender said:

Engine mounts are 10/engine so 373 points total or 363 by Morgan's count.

 

Thanks for all the help, guys, I was mostly trying to understand how tech would assess the base car. As usual I was overthinking. :rolleyes:

tranny mounts are 10 as well.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, mender said:

And while I'm thinking about it, what would I get dinged for a pair of Weber 45 DCOEs? I've got a set and have been wondering what to put them on.

it's the west coast...stuff them on there....nobody protests...oh-wait...its my old Honda....you will get protested :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...