Infiniti G35 sedan

Rubicon79

We've ran lemons and have been wanting to do Chumps but wanted a better car than our crappy Hyundai Tiburon with 100 whp. 

We just bought an 04 Infiniti G35 sedan with a salvage title for CHEAP.  I was all excited until I got on here to check the points and it's not even listed :(

Are we gonna be stuck in ec?  Is there a chance in hell of getting it moved?  I knew a maxima was 500 and just assumed it would be close being a similar car but rwd vs fwd.  The maxima at 500 seems unrealistic but hey I don't make the rules.  

We wanted a BMW but they were all more expensive and figured this car would be cheaper overall to run.  This doesn't seem like any better of a car than a 3 series for sure.  

Welcome, I hope your team makes it out to some races.  I'm pretty new around here but I do know that you're going to need some of these for that motor:

vq95.JPG

I'll let more experienced people weigh in on suspected points for the car.  

image.jpeg.062cc07622cdc1c6f35e4a3e4befa253.jpeg

Edited by macheesy
  • Haha 3

Yes 

11 hours ago, Rubicon79 said:

We just bought an 04 Infiniti G35 sedan with a salvage title for CHEAP.  I was all excited until I got on here to check the points and it's not even listed :(

Are we gonna be stuck in ec?  Is there a chance in hell of getting it moved?  I knew a maxima was 500 and just assumed it would be close being a similar car but rwd vs fwd.  The maxima at 500 seems unrealistic but hey I don't make the rules.  

Good evening fellow Infiniti enthusiast, the dreaded day where we are no longer the only ChampCar RWD Infiniti nears :P

Perhaps I can help answer some of your questions.

Cheap is of no matter, it has been a few years since we use actual value. Champcar will look at a cars merits, firstly, the $500 point Maxima is well earned, the value may drop a little in the future but the platform has proven plenty capable, so much so, I dread seeing them on any entry list where we will be attending :ph34r:

G35,

Things to consider:

6 speed

20gal  (Generous enough for a 2 hr, highly desirable fuel strategy @ most tracks where the faster pony cars have to pit more )

260hp, easily bumped up to 280+ w/ chip /CAI/cat delete(headers/cams for 300hp if it comes in under 500pts) Recent controversy surrounds how well these things run

3336lbs (edmunds.com, our go to standard for specs), Per experience with the J30, extreme prejudice with a plasma cutter will put this @ roughly 2700-2775lbs in race trim

Fortunately it is not the forums decision how many points will be assessed,  I would say, to even consider competing in C class with no/minimal laps, one would have be to run as 5 speed automatic ....fuel capacity, HP and weight will be looked at to decide its point value, not to mention, one could argue the nuances all day but (if successful)everyone will be bending the tech guys ear about the g35 4dr is sort of, umm... kind of similar enough to a 350z, they are listed as "Nissan Z33" @ 570 pts

And to finish:

"This doesn't seem like any better of a car than a 3 series for sure"    Oh if they only knew... While quite a bit heavier, Infiniti will prove to be better then 75% of the 3 series cars....  If only we could get all the suspension of a g35!      *this message may self destruct minutes after reading* 

Disclaimer: I have either personally owned or been pretty intimate with G35 2 and 4 dr , Maxima/altima of various generations,  tundra, titan, , frontier, i35,J30, q45, SC400, SC300, IS300, 540i, Camaro,  mustang as well as Sonata and dozens of less relevant (to race or look @ the engine of) units...(not so much the E30/E36 3 series but have passed all but the best of them in every race)

Good Luck and now following this thread ^_^

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 4

• Technical Advisory Committee

G35 sedan is essentially a longer, heavier 350Z from the same era with a large enough fuel tank to go ~2 hrs.   G35s are nothing like the Maxima beyond the parent company and the name of the engine (The "previous Gen" I35 was essentially a Maxima, but the G35 has a completely different chassis with completely different suspension that is a variant of what is found on the Z car).

It should be a fun and fast/capable car.  I would HOPE that valuation given would be really close to the 350Zs/E46 330i.  540-550-ish would be reasonable in my eyes.  With a good build and strategy, potential to make up the laps is there.

That said, forum speculation is all this is.   Email tech.

• Like 1

Good deal and we're gonna proceed on the car either way since we own it lol.  We paid $900 for the car with 190k miles that most of them must have been off-road.  I believe the paint code is rustoleum silver straight out of a can.  

The only real negative is it dog legs down the road a little.  It's not so bad as you can notice it driving but following him back today you can definitely see it.  The scariest part was the tire had belts showing and we had a 60 mile trip home.  

Car was 2 quarts low in oil but all fluids look good.  Transmission shifts good and the clutch feels strong.  It's a salvage title they wouldn't tag so it wasn't anything more than a parts car.

I have to admit the damn thing handles pretty well and it's quick.  

I would hope for 500-520 and we plan to leave the car stock for now.  With a 350z being 570 I think that's reasonable.  

20180217_142923.jpg

Edited by Rubicon79

1 minute ago, Rubicon79 said:

Good deal and we're gonna proceed on the car either way since we own it lol.  We paid $900 for the car with 190k miles that most of them must have been off-road.  I believe the paint code is rustoleum silver straight out of a can.  

The only real negative is it dog legs down the road a little.  It's not so bad as you can notice it driving but following him back today you can definitely see it.  The scariest part was the tire had belts showing and we had a 60 mile trip home.  

Car was 2 quarts low in oil but all fluids look good.  Transmission shifts good and the clutch feels strong.  It's a salvage title they wouldn't tag so it wasn't anything more than a parts car.

I have to admit the damn thing handles pretty well and it's quick.  

I would hope for 500-520 and we plan to leave the car stock for now.  

20180217_142923.jpg

It will be 520 or more, but no less than that.