Roll cage "pre-inspection"

jimnayzum

We took the roll cage out of our old Focus (yes, the "I'm on my side" one) and are putting it in a different Focus. The welder/fabricator is finding all kinds of flaws in the old installation and improvements are being made. But, this has gotten me to thinking..... Is there an outlet or source for some type of "pre-inspection"? Mainly, my thought is to find any flaws in the roll cage (or, hell, the car in general) before we take to a race and find out at the worst possible time.

On 2/21/2018 at 2:17 PM, jimnayzum said:

https://youtu.be/QDfrEeysHgg

If you don't feel like watching the whole clip go to the 21:00 mark. Oh, and I guess I'm supposed to beg you to "like" and subscribe to my channel. lol

I subscribed. If you get 25 subscribers you can live stream on YouTube FYI. :D

S. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry to see your mishap but relieved to see that you weren't badly injured. Wonderful to hear that you will be back!

If I may; the following advice is free so please take it for what it's worth: watching the video, in a few cases I noted that you grip the steering wheel with both hands through some of the corners with your hands positioned at (both!) at 11 o'clock or with each at 11 and 12 o'clock respectively. This is not the best way to control a car. 3 & 9 o'clock is best or at the very least 10 & 2 o'clock.

*driving instructor rant off*

Best of luck to you on the new build!

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2018 at 12:33 AM, rod rammage said:

So sorry to see your mishap but relieved to see that you weren't badly injured. Wonderful to hear that you will be back!

If I may; the following advice is free so please take it for what it's worth: watching the video, in a few cases I noted that you grip the steering wheel with both hands through some of the corners with your hands positioned at (both!) at 11 o'clock or with each at 11 and 12 o'clock respectively. This is not the best way to control a car. 3 & 9 o'clock is best or at the very least 10 & 2 o'clock.

*driving instructor rant off*

Best of luck to you on the new build!

Thanks for the advise! I, fortunately, was not driving. I am more of the Red Shoe Racing "Cruise Director". But, I will pass this along to my brother-in-law (the driver). If you see us at the track, just give him a bill for your tutoring. He's the old guy :lol:

• Technical Advisory Committee

Jim - where are you located?   I'm assuming not too far from Gingerman and hoping near-ish to Detroit area.   If that is the case, I would be more than happy to do a good look-over on your car.  I can't give final official blessing, but I've been around racing and various rule books long enough to give a educated evaluation.  

I am NW Detroit area, and plan to be out at Gingerman for testing April 7th weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
2 hours ago, NigelStu said:

Jim - where are you located?   I'm assuming not too far from Gingerman and hoping near-ish to Detroit area.   If that is the case, I would be more than happy to do a good look-over on your car.  I can't give final official blessing, but I've been around racing and various rule books long enough to give a educated evaluation.  

I am NW Detroit area, and plan to be out at Gingerman for testing April 7th weekend.

Jim is in Port Huron.

@NigelStu - This is the Red Shoe Racing team, minus Kyle and Joe H.

I've talked to Jim too over the past few years. Sounds like a good road trip for us to do some scheming and planning for the future... :ph34r:

Edited by mcoppola