2018 ChampCar Sim Series - Round 2, Championship Race - Sonoma - 2/22/2018

Rapido

After our brief excursion to VIR last week, we're back on the Best Coast for the second championship round of the year. Please note that the races start at 9:00pm local time, not 9:15pm. All other details are the same, with 1 fast repair and limited fuel which will necessitate a pit stop. Please take it easy on the pace lap and maintain your place and a gap to the car in front. 

Any questions let me know, and I look forward to seeing you on the grid!

Session Details

• Date: Thursday, 22-February-2018
  • Practice Start: 6:00pm EST/6:00pm PST
  • Qualifying Start: 8:00pm EST/8:00pm PST
  • Race Start: 9:00pm EST/9:00pm PST
  • Cars: Street Stock, 2016 Global Mazda Cup
  • Track: Sonoma Full
  • Weather: iRacing Default (Late Afternoon, Partly Cloudy, 78°F, 55% humidity)
  • Setup: Fixed, Baseline with reduced fuel (Miata), Modified Baseline (Street Stock)

Useful Links

2018 ChampCar Sim Series schedule

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

Discord Server

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wyatt said:

The "Best Coast" eh?

How dare you sir! 

#truthhurts why else would I be willing to pay so much to live here. 

Had as surgery today but I’m going to try to limp to my rig anyways. 

• Like 1

Iced my balls the whole race and had to disable the clutch. Really sucked this week, I’m going to blame the ice. About crapped myself when Nicolas tried to take me out on the 2nd to last lap by driving backwards around the track. I think that’s worthy of a year ban. I saved the race if you want to see it @Rapido

Edited by Jamie

@Jamie please send me that replay, I will review it

Driving standards in the East Coast are generally improving but still far from perfect. My race was destroyed on the opening lap by the cars ahead of me (street stock and miata) going two wide through the fastest corner on the track before making contact and spinning into me. This effectively puts me out of serious championship contention and leaves me fairly disillusioned as to the value of this series. If you're going to show up and drive in a manner inconsistent with how you would behave on an actual racetrack then there is a fundamental disconnect.

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, Jamie said:

Iced my balls the whole race and had to disable the clutch. Really sucked this week, I’m going to blame the ice. About crapped myself when Nicolas tried to take me out on the 2nd to last lap by driving backwards around the track. I think that’s worthy of a year ban. I saved the race if you want to see it @Rapido

I think some people just need to drive the Miata. The SS seems to be causing lots of issues in both races :/, had my temmate on the East Coast series also get affected by the SS. 

Its a hard car to handle on the road, even for an experience driver. The SS in our race was like a moving chain saw killer trying to get you lol. But I blame it mainly on the SS not the driver. 

Would the series consider taking away the SS? and just race all miata's? also in the Rovals the SS will destroy in speed. 

Thanks for all the work you are doing @Rapido enjoying much the series :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rapido said:

@Jamie please send me that replay, I will review it

Driving standards in the East Coast are generally improving but still far from perfect. My race was destroyed on the opening lap by the cars ahead of me (street stock and miata) going two wide through the fastest corner on the track before making contact and spinning into me. This effectively puts me out of serious championship contention and leaves me fairly disillusioned as to the value of this series. If you're going to show up and drive in a manner inconsistent with how you would behave on an actual racetrack then there is a fundamental disconnect.

Perhaps we should get a few consistent drivers to really watch the practice races and report misbehavior.

That incident Jamie had I would report directly to iRacing as well via protest.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Romer said:

I think some people just need to drive the Miata. The SS seems to be causing lots of issues in both races :/, had my temmate on the East Coast series also get affected by the SS. 

Its a hard car to handle on the road, even for an experience driver. The SS in our race was like a moving chain saw killer trying to get you lol. But I blame it mainly on the SS not the driver. 

Would the series consider taking away the SS? and just race all miata's? also in the Rovals the SS will destroy in speed. 

Thanks for all the work you are doing @Rapido enjoying much the series :D

Coming from a SS point of view, I fully disagree. The Miata's have to realize that the SS has to brake earlier. I'm getting pounded in the back multiple times per race simply because a Miata doesn't realize they have to change the way they drive into a corner. Think about how hard you have to hit a 3400 stock car in the back with those small cars in order to spin me out. In my opinion last night was very poor driving from a lot of the Miata's and even some of the higher rated people that know better. 

I went through 3 cars in yesterdays race. It sucks being the punching bag of much of the poor driving that's happening. 

Edited by Alex Koffard
  • Like 1

Champcar isn't a spec series, and I don't think this should be either. 

It sounds pretty short sighted to think the solution is to make all the cars the same. If we're not going to learn how to drive vs cars with different abilities, we're not running what is the most accurate representation of what will be on the track.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alex Koffard said:

Champcar isn't a spec series, and I don't think this should be either. 

It sounds pretty short sighted to think the solution is to make all the cars the same. If we're not going to learn how to drive vs cars with different abilities, we're not running what is the most accurate representation of what will be on the track.

you are correct :), the situation here is that it all counts as one class for the championship and the very generous prize of a free ride in a real Champcar race. 

So the SS in a real life Champcar race will be in its on class, and drivers will understand that. the MX5 will be in the A class and they understand that.

It is what it is :)

No, you can't protest drivers to iRacing for actions in hosted sessions. However, once @Jamie sends me the replay I will take a look and then see what, if any, action is suitable. As to Wyatt's suggestion, maybe I will just spectate the next practice race and start to zero in on some of the questionable driving.

@Romer - the two classes are separate. At no point in any of the races is a Street Stock competing for position with a Miata. There is no reason to defend, challenge, or fight for position if in proximity to a car from a different class. I wanted a two class system because it mirrors the realities of ChampCar. Speaking from my own experience; if I'm in my Miata at VIR at 5am and @Wyatt comes up behind me in his BMW, I'm not going to fight him for position or run him two-wide through multiple corners - it won't impact my finishing position (if anything, it'll slow me down for a lap) and it'll increase the chances of some sort of unintentional incident. However, it is important to know how to deal with traffic of other cars in an endurance race. Maybe my Miata has less power than other cars, but it's lighter and I can brake later. Therefore, if I get passed by a faster car towards the end of a straight, I will have to be prepared for the fact they will be braking earlier than me and I should adjust accordingly. If I carry on into the braking zone and hit my normal mark, I'll probably hit the car that's just passed me. This is the sort of reality I want to effect in the Sim Series. The difficulty seems to be in drivers carrying their on track mindset to the virtual world.

• Like 1

Things seem better, but we are still having some issues.  My suggestion, keep practice open to all levels, with 1 repair and no incident limit.  For points counting races, open to all levels, no free repair, and 20 incident limit.

I don't think most people, including Champcar, believe it's a two class series.  Champcar isn't, why would the sim series be?

My East coast round started bad as I qualified poorly and knew I would be fighting hard to get to the front before the leaders got away.  Early in the race I made 3-4 positions but then got stuck behind Albert.  Suffice to say I made a smart decision to pit early and although the gap was too big to second I was able to hold a gap to the 4th place car make the podium.

Due to a technical error the East Coast recorded with no volume.

I also ran the West race.  Not very eventful except for how every now and then a SS would try to kill me:

Edited by Hurljohn
Missed sentence.
  • Like 1

Hey everyone... 

Sigh - I was the SS.   I just sort of picked it at random, even though I have only practiced on the Mazda.  I figured it would let me switch during the practice session but OH NO, you cant do that.   

I could NOT control that thing to save my life, as is made clear here on the forum.  Im even driving with a force feedback wheel with a clutch and a fancy graphics card and everything - I am literally all that is to blame.  The tiniest blip of throttle spontaneously shoots beams of ice out infant of the rears on that car, and occasionally the fronts too, from what I could tell.. I mean, I figured after an hour or so of driving it I must get the hang of it, but I did not.  

Anyhow, I wont be choosing that option anymore:)! 

I think the main problem is that I got pretty good at Forza... Those skills do not translate!    Also, our car in real life (the red 1983 VW Scirocco at ChampCar) is both super weak, and front wheel drive, so theres that...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rapido said:

No, you can't protest drivers to iRacing for actions in hosted sessions. However, once @Jamie sends me the replay I will take a look and then see what, if any, action is suitable. As to Wyatt's suggestion, maybe I will just spectate the next practice race and start to zero in on some of the questionable driving.

@Romer - the two classes are separate. At no point in any of the races is a Street Stock competing for position with a Miata. There is no reason to defend, challenge, or fight for position if in proximity to a car from a different class. I wanted a two class system because it mirrors the realities of ChampCar. Speaking from my own experience; if I'm in my Miata at VIR at 5am and @Wyatt comes up behind me in his BMW, I'm not going to fight him for position or run him two-wide through multiple corners - it won't impact my finishing position (if anything, it'll slow me down for a lap) and it'll increase the chances of some sort of unintentional incident. However, it is important to know how to deal with traffic of other cars in an endurance race. Maybe my Miata has less power than other cars, but it's lighter and I can brake later. Therefore, if I get passed by a faster car towards the end of a straight, I will have to be prepared for the fact they will be braking earlier than me and I should adjust accordingly. If I carry on into the braking zone and hit my normal mark, I'll probably hit the car that's just passed me. This is the sort of reality I want to effect in the Sim Series. The difficulty seems to be in drivers carrying their on track mindset to the virtual world.

I believe you can protest, just not admins or if the title of the event has "demo derby" or "sporting code does not apply". If you look at the top of the results page for the race there is even a button to protest a driver from that event. 

I have also successfully protested drivers in hosted sessions and unofficial sessions.

15 hours ago, Gorilla Sticker Driver #2 said:

Hey everyone... 

Sigh - I was the SS.   I just sort of picked it at random, even though I have only practiced on the Mazda.  I figured it would let me switch during the practice session but OH NO, you cant do that.   

I could NOT control that thing to save my life, as is made clear here on the forum.  Im even driving with a force feedback wheel with a clutch and a fancy graphics card and everything - I am literally all that is to blame.  The tiniest blip of throttle spontaneously shoots beams of ice out infant of the rears on that car, and occasionally the fronts too, from what I could tell.. I mean, I figured after an hour or so of driving it I must get the hang of it, but I did not.  

Anyhow, I wont be choosing that option anymore:)! 

I think the main problem is that I got pretty good at Forza... Those skills do not translate!    Also, our car in real life (the red 1983 VW Scirocco at ChampCar) is both super weak, and front wheel drive, so theres that...

You were the lone SS driver in the pacific race ?  If so ,  You were just there to wreck people.  Going into corners without hitting brakes just for the intent of running into another car.  I should have saved the replay. 

3 hours ago, Boyd2241 said:

You were the lone SS driver in the pacific race ?  If so ,  You were just there to wreck people.  Going into corners without hitting brakes just for the intent of running into another car.  I should have saved the replay. 

We saw the replay and we (the admins) were not amused. I would certainly expect a stiff penalty if not an outright ban to be forthcoming.

We will not put up with this kind of behaviour.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Boyd2241 said:

Some quick googling of https://gorillasticker.com/p/bio and the backwards drivers user name Nicolas Johnson 5 seems to match the roaster of one of the drivers on the team.

Edited by Jamie

3 hours ago, Jamie said:

Some quick googling of https://gorillasticker.com/p/bio and the backwards drivers user name Nicolas Johnson 5 seems to match the roaster of one of the drivers on the team.

That shouldn't have required any googling at all.  I said that in my reply to your other post.  Yes, I drive for the Gorilla Sticker team at ChampCar events.  This was my first time on this simulation rig with the wheel and the software.  And I had only practiced on the Miata, I didn't mean to select the SS; it was really hard to control.   

I definitely definitely didn't intentionally crash anyone; I fully recognize you are all guys I'll meet and see in real life..   That said, I was driving backwards at the very end, I had a misconception of how the ending worked.. I thought the race had ended.  Evidently it had not ended.  I saw a checkered flag, super duper my bad... 

In the future, you wont even notice me, other than the fact that you'll probably all be passing me until I figure out how to race on this crazy wheel in front of a TV. 

Sorry dudes. 

• Like 1

I have stayed out of this SIM stuff because I would probably be worse than Gorllia.  I have watched a lot of the replays though.  There are some big differences between novices at real world races and novices in SIM.  In SIM they are struggling to know where their car is actually going.  You see them weaving down the straights and through the turns.  You won’t see that much in the real world.  Novices know exactly where the car is going - they just struggle to figure out what the line should be.  They tend to stay straight on the straights.  They rarely carry too much speed into a corner.  They are usually slow into every one of them, which makes them predictable. 

As a result if the above, SIM novices cause WAY more chaos than their counterparts in the real world.  They are way less predictable.  Throw in the fact that there are much lower consequences to wrecking and you really have challenges.  

I will probably never join the SIM series even though I’d like to.  I’m going to stick to racing in the real world, which is ironically a lot easier. 

15 hours ago, Gorilla Sticker Driver #2 said:

That shouldn't have required any googling at all.  I said that in my reply to your other post.  Yes, I drive for the Gorilla Sticker team at ChampCar events.  This was my first time on this simulation rig with the wheel and the software.  And I had only practiced on the Miata, I didn't mean to select the SS; it was really hard to control.   

I definitely definitely didn't intentionally crash anyone; I fully recognize you are all guys I'll meet and see in real life..   That said, I was driving backwards at the very end, I had a misconception of how the ending worked.. I thought the race had ended.  Evidently it had not ended.  I saw a checkered flag, super duper my bad... 

In the future, you wont even notice me, other than the fact that you'll probably all be passing me until I figure out how to race on this crazy wheel in front of a TV. 

Sorry dudes. 

I call bull. I saw the clips. Sounds like you're just trying to cover your ass and not get banned for dicking around during a points round. This may be a computer sim, but this is a serious championship people are competing in for real world prizes. There is never an appropriate time to drive backwards. Even in the most casual of leagues I've participated in I've never seen this type of behavior. This sim and this league are not just an open Forza lobby. It's for serious fans of racing and Motorsports who want the most realistic experience possible. 

You should treat these races like you would treat a real ChampCar race. would you ever flip a u turn and run backwards in a real race? 

If the car was that hard to control you should have pulled off the track so you aren't a risk to other drivers. 

• Like 4