Sign in to follow this  
Jab31169

Decal Requirements

11 minutes ago, RVA Graphics & Wraps said:

I am intrigued by the magnetic board suggestion, but I would hate to be black flagged if my number panel fell off.  Maybe we could try some during the next race(s) along with the standard panels and see how they do.

Justin 

Some of the Vintage guys run them with success, but they'll scratch things up if you don't get everything super clean before applying (grinder dust loves to stick to them)

Keep in mind most of these guys also don't have 3 layers of house paint and bondo, and generally have nice clean, smooth panels they're putting them on. Any creases/dents/etc that the magnet sheet can't sit 100% against will probably reduce the effectiveness. Get some 100mph wind blasting through behind them and they'd probably lift off.

That being said, I probably have enough free Rockauto magnets around at this point to do most of our car's sticker package.....

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

The agreement with Maxxis is the front fenders'

Uhh ohhh @Jer sounds like the sticker police are on to you.    You're prolly gonna get a beating.  

Seriously,  I think it makes sense to police and enforce this.   They paid money, we uphold our part   

Just now, JDChristianson said:

Uhh ohhh @Jer sounds like the sticker police are on to you.    You're prolly gonna get a beating.  

Seriously,  I think it makes sense to police and enforce this.   They paid money, we uphold our part   

Yeah it's why I asked.  It's fine, I made a front splitter so the Maxxis stickers are gone now.  They will move to the fenders (gawd they're ugly!) and I'll find room somewhere else for my friends and teammate from McKibbins stickers.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

That being said, I probably have enough free Rockauto magnets around at this point to do most of our car's sticker package.....

Whatever you do, do NOT use this magnet!!! The wheels may fall off!

Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 12.01.37 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Bill, can you guys please bring stickers to events?  No one had RVA window stickers at Sonoma, no one had the sticker panels at Laguna in December, no one had Maxxis stickers last fall at an event.  It seems like we are doing a poor job of requiring stickers and then not having them at events.  :(

• Like 1

It was the first races of the year. Production was just ramping up. There will be decals available. 
and I just sent a note to the event directors making certain my above statement is correct.

6 minutes ago, Jer said:

Yeah it's why I asked.  It's fine, I made a front splitter so the Maxxis stickers are gone now.  They will move to the fenders (gawd they're ugly!) and I'll find room somewhere else for my friends and teammate from McKibbins stickers.  

Yes,  maxxis sticker = ugly. 

• Like 1

Just now, JDChristianson said:

Yes,  maxxis sticker = ugly. 

If only they were a little bigger. 😬

• Haha 2

wait until you see the required ChampCar.live decal that will go on the front window.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, RVA Graphics & Wraps said:

The challenge is choosing a material that stays put in 100+mph rain, but doesn't pull the paint off when removing.  As such, we chose a 3M material that has decent adhesion, but is classified as temporary, therefore less likely to pull paint off , etc.

If they are applied to a clean/dry factory finish, they will stay on during the races, but can be removed after the season without pulling paint.  If they are put on over a rattle-can or a paint roller paint job, then they can/will remove some paint when removed, we found our the hard way on our car when we first decided to wrap it. Those hours  I spent applying Rustoleum were for naught as that paint pulled right off when affixing decals.   Also if the decals are hastily applied last minute in the rain to make the drop of the green flag, they tend not to do as well.  

I am intrigued by the magnetic board suggestion, but I would hate to be black flagged if my number panel fell off.  Maybe we could try some during the next race(s) along with the standard panels and see how they do.

Justin 

A large mag sheet would need some help to stay on at speeds. Nothing a roll of colored masking tape could handle.  And I'd make it look like it came that way. 

• Like 1

You can also contact RVA Graphics and Wraps. They can make you side decal that will incorporate all the required decals, and make some cool pin stripes.

40 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Whatever you do, do NOT use this magnet!!! The wheels may fall off!

Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 12.01.37 PM.png

Darn, I thought magnets and stickers of MR2's were like those stickers that added HP, except that it removes points :P

Edited by Wittenauer Racing

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

wait until you see the required ChampCar.live decal that will go on the front window.

"This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love ChampCar.live."

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

The other cheap league requires ZERO sponsor stickers and the cost is about the same, just saying. 😈

What league do you speak of?  The crazy parade known as lemons?  Because WRL definitely slaps stickers all over your car.

10 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

The agreement with Maxxis is the front fenders'

So you want me to put the orange Maxxis stickers on my orange fenders? 🤔

7 hours ago, LAMR2 said:

"This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love ChampCar.live."

Best post this year!!!

9 hours ago, RVA Graphics & Wraps said:

Edd's Top Tip [not really]: Using tape on the leading edge helps keep the wind from lifting it off the body.

14 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

What league do you speak of?  The crazy parade known as lemons?  Because WRL definitely slaps stickers all over your car.

Have not tried WRL... do they do east coast mid-Atlantic events? 

Race cars have decals.  Its cool.   If you don't admit to being excited when you get stickers with your parts order, you're in denial.  Its ok, we are all just little kids trapped in grown up bodies.   

Why would a sponsor want their name on an upside down boat or camper parade float going around a race track posing as a race car.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Race cars have decals.  Its cool.   If you don't admit to being excited when you get stickers with your parts order, you're in denial.  Its ok, we are all just little kids trapped in grown up bodies.   

Why would a sponsor want their name on an upside down boat or camper parade float going around a race track posing as a race car.

I have a box of race stickers from all sorts of companies going back 15-20 years. Not one went on any of my cars unless it was for cash money... then they came off before I left the track. I don't mind the Champ stickers, I just wish they were easier to take off, as they change sponsors often.