Fuel cell in hatch

turbogrill

Hi,

What is recommended fuel cell in a hatch car. Can it be in the same "space" as the driver. So would this be ok?  Feels a little unsafe to have pumps and surge tanks there.

Image result for 240z fuel cell

(Obviously better mounted).

Or is it suggested that it's coveres with sheet metal? Like this:

Fitzy-4861.jpg

If it's covered in sheet metal, would the "wall" between fuel cell and driver compartment count as a strut bar? It's attached between the strut towers...

• Technical Advisory Committee

No rule yet but for my build there will be a metal firewall between the cell and driver .  My hatch may not function as a hatch when I'm done .

I do drive with a team in a hatch car and cell an almost firewall with no fill tube , we lift the hatch and fill directly into the cell . Plans are to change it to a remote fill . I see away to do it and lose about 10lbs so when they add the wing it will be all good .  

Waiting to see how the petitions go as I don't think they will race that car again this year only testing track day stuff .

1 hour ago, cagedruss said:

Doesn't your clear fuel filler hose need to be covered by a bulkhead to protect the driver of there is an incident?

The hose itself is much more protection than a thin piece of tin. It takes a lot to puncture or rupture the filler hose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My advice would be to cut out the spare tire well, then weld in a flat floor.  Then I would take the cell and mount it under the new floor, with some well thought out bracing and protection.  This should lower your CG a bit and give you an additional layer between the cell and the interior.

On 3/25/2018 at 10:12 PM, housejoe said:

My advice would be to cut out the spare tire well, then weld in a flat floor.  Then I would take the cell and mount it under the new floor, with some well thought out bracing and protection.  This should lower your CG a bit and give you an additional layer between the cell and the interior.

Like this? 

wNmjE6.jpg