Head swap - cam included?

If a head requires a different cam then the cam would be additional points on top of the head.  A parallel example would be if I swapped a head and a header is now required to fit the new head, I would need to take points for the header as well.  It is not a game of finding something non-OE that requires other non-OE stuff to work.

The OE cam for the swapped head is included. I didn't see it in the rules, but I assume the OE intake/exhaust manifolds for the head would be as well.  If you have to have custom parts due to fitment issues, I'd discuss with tech, but count on adding the points, just in case.  You're probably better off with a motor swap at that point since that could be as low as 50 points where a head swap starts at 100 points.

5 minutes ago, zack_280 said:

The OE cam for the swapped head is included. I didn't see it in the rules, but I assume the OE intake/exhaust manifolds for the head would be as well.  If you have to have custom parts due to fitment issues, I'd discuss with tech, but count on adding the points, just in case.  You're probably better off with a motor swap at that point since that could be as low as 50 points where a head swap starts at 100 points.

This is of course for OHC or DOHC heads; cam-in-block engines only include the head, valvetrain and application specific manifolds.

• Like 1

Wait, so if I play this game with a custom grind cam - for 50 points.  Sheesh if the lobes didn't end up so large that I now need an aftermarket head which of course needs an aftermarket intake to match which requires an aftermarket throttle body, forgot to mention the headers needed to fit the aftermarket heads.

All for 50 points?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

Wait, so if I play this game with a custom grind cam - for 50 points.  Sheesh if the lobes didn't end up so large that I now need an aftermarket head which of course needs an aftermarket intake to match which requires an aftermarket throttle body, forgot to mention the headers needed to fit the aftermarket heads.

All for 50 points?

No, you also get an aftermarket block (and internals, of course) to match because your cam is so big it won't fit in the factory block.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

All for 50 points?

I'm not looking at anything "custom" or aftermarket.  Just a different, yet direct bolt on, head.  Do I use my original cams or the cams that came from the factory (still OE) for the swapped in head.

1 minute ago, Originalsterm said:

I'm not looking at anything "custom" or aftermarket.  Just a different, yet direct bolt on, head.  Do I use my original cams or the cams that came from the factory (still OE) for the swapped in head.

Ask Tech.  I would think if everything is physically compatible you need to use the original grind for your car.  Otherwise you're getting a cam upgrade as well for free.

• Thanks 1

This is getting into the mix-and-match thing that happened with the Neon/Sebring 2.4 head/intake issue a couple of years back. IIRC the rule was the head with cams and related components were required to be swapped without exchanging any parts with the original head.

Same idea as an engine swap; no mixing parts between old and new.

Edited by mender

1 minute ago, karman1970 said:

No, you also get an aftermarket block (and internals, of course) to match because your cam is so big it won't fit in the factory block.

Darn it, I missed that little detail!  I guess the same with suspension too.  Claim a 10 point suspension item like a coilover - now I need tubular A-arms which require a specific sway bar, that takes care of the front suspension.  For the rear I want to run a three link which is one bar with two heim joints - call it 20 points so now I need aftermarket lower control arms to handle the load which also requires an aftermarket sway bar.

Lets see now, I have an aluminum block with complete Trick Flow top end (claim 50 point cam), complete front suspension (claim one 10 point coilover), complete rear suspension (claim one custom 20 point control arm) all installed in my TBird.  That is 280 points so far... hmmmm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, mender said:

This is getting into the mix-and-match thing that happened with the Neon/Sebring 2.4 head/intake issue a couple of years back. IIRC the rule was the head with cams and related components were required to be swapped without exchanging any parts with the original head.

Same idea as an engine swap; no mixing parts between old and new.

I guess I can see the logic in both view points.  Sure would be nice if a clarification to a rule was made that it would be included in, I dunno, maybe the book of rules.

• Like 1

Ronnie your a genius!!!!!:wub:

On 3/28/2018 at 3:06 PM, Ron_e said:

Darn it, I missed that little detail!  I guess the same with suspension too.  Claim a 10 point suspension item like a coilover - now I need tubular A-arms which require a specific sway bar, that takes care of the front suspension.  For the rear I want to run a three link which is one bar with two heim joints - call it 20 points so now I need aftermarket lower control arms to handle the load which also requires an aftermarket sway bar.

Lets see now, I have an aluminum block with complete Trick Flow top end (claim 50 point cam), complete front suspension (claim one 10 point coilover), complete rear suspension (claim one custom 20 point control arm) all installed in my TBird.  That is 280 points so far... hmmmm.