Measured Lumens vs Raw Lumens

bbaker480

9.9.2.2.1. Cars equipped with LED head- or driving-lights shall be restricted to a maximum of 8,000 Lumens. Teams using LED lights MUST have documentation to prove Lumen data.

9.9.2.3. Combined Lighting Sources: cars using a combination of BOTH H3/H4/HID and LED lights shall be limited to a maximum of 4,000 Lumens of LED lighting and no more than two (2) lighting sources using conventional H3, H4 or HID lights

I am looking specifically at running Diode Dynamics LED's for Nelson Ledges and want to make sure before I drop that kind of cash that I'm not going to be pulling lights back off the car because I used the wrong numbers.  I would assume the Measured Lumens are what matters since that's what people will actually see in use.  Using Measured Lumens I believe I can run either a single 18" bar  with a driving beam and a pair of 6" wide cornering beams, or two 12" wide beam bars and a 6" driving beam in the center. These both count up to 7000 lumens total which falls well below the restriction.  If we are using Raw Lumens however I can't even run a 12" bar on the hood along with a pair of conventional halogen beam headlamps.  I think the intent of the rule is to allow teams to run as much lighting as is reasonable while interfering with the ability of other drivers to see as little as possible.  Running a properly aimed quality light bar with high output should be less intrusive to others than some of the lower rated ones you'd find at Tractor Supply or on Ebay.  I know ultimately the answer is 'talk to Phil' but what are your thoughts?

18" Bar

Raw Output: 6840 lumens
Measured Output: 4200 lumens

12" Bar

Raw Output: 4560 lumens
Measured Output: 2800 lumens

6" Bar

Raw Output: 2280 lumens
Measured Output: 1400 lumens

I had the same question and emailed Phil. Measured if the manufacturer advertises it. If they only publish raw that is what you have to go with. I was looking for a general factor we could take off of raw lumens and was told to adhere to the rule. I wish the rule was for lux at a specific distance because it is easily measurable, maybe the next rule set can be petitioned for it. 

We ended up working with KC Hilites to get lighting that not only pushed the max lumen output but also had beam patterns that suited our needs. Give them a call, they are really helpful and reasonably priced. We are using their Gravity series. It is an LED in a reflective housing. Allows for a ton of output with good control of the beam pattern.

Edited by Kentite

1 hour ago, Kentite said:

I had the same question and emailed Phil. Measured if the manufacturer advertises it. If they only publish raw that is what you have to go with. I was looking for a general factor we could take off of raw lumens and was told to adhere to the rule. I wish the rule was for lux at a specific distance because it is easily measurable, maybe the next rule set can be petitioned for it. 

We ended up working with KC Hilites to get lighting that not only pushed the max lumen output but also had beam patterns that suited our needs. Give them a call, they are really helpful and reasonably priced. We are using their Gravity series. It is an LED in a reflective housing. Allows for a ton of output with good control of the beam pattern.

Part of me really wants to put a set of Morimoto D2S HID's in a pair of universal retrofit projectors and build them into where the headlights used to live hooray for popups that were tossed years ago) https://www.theretrofitsource.com/projector-kits/retrofit-kits-universal/morimoto-retroquik-universal-d2s.html.  The other part of me knows the DD light bars are known good lights and 6 bolts later they're installed and ready to aim.  I suppose the HID's can be a future project and I can migrate the flood lights to my daily if I decide to go that route later.  The KC's look good but the price puts them out of reach for me for a once a year 24 hour race.

Edited by bbaker480

1 hour ago, bbaker480 said:

Part of me really wants to put a set of Morimoto D2S HID's in a pair of universal retrofit projectors and build them into where the headlights used to live hooray for popups that were tossed years ago) https://www.theretrofitsource.com/projector-kits/retrofit-kits-universal/morimoto-retroquik-universal-d2s.html.  The other part of me knows the DD light bars are known good lights and 6 bolts later they're installed and ready to aim.  I suppose the HID's can be a future project and I can migrate the flood lights to my daily if I decide to go that route later.  The KC's look good but the price puts them out of reach for me for a once a year 24 hour race.

Compared to what some top tier teams I talked to spend on lights I think KC was on par cost wise. Lighting was one place we didn’t want to try to cut costs. Not saying you can’t get a good light cheaper, we just wanted to make sure we didn’t get to nightfall all Nelson and find out our lights were no good. That track is scary fast enough now in the daylight no need to complicate things.

My shipment of Diode Dynamics lights arrive tomorrow.  Ive seen lots of their stuff used in the woods on rally cars, and the optics are top notch.   I'm excited to get everything fitted and tested.  We should also be at Nelson Ledges.

3 hours ago, bbaker480 said:

HID bulbs can only go in HID housings, a projector housing would be for a different type of bulb.

4 hours ago, Ron_e said:

HID bulbs can only go in HID housings, a projector housing would be for a different type of bulb.

This would be a D2S bulb in a projector designed for a D2S HID bulb.  As @SonsOfIrony said the Morimoto stuff is all designed for HID (except for the new LED projector).  If I had the time I'd swap the projectors in my WRX first and see how those turn out but I've got a race car to finish.