Bill Strong

What happened to your ChampCar today? 2018 Version

Yesterday

Finished engine harness routing, bled rad again.

Today

Checked rad, need to bleed moreūü§Ē

Today x2

To complement the spare q45 of another team member I acquired a retired 03 police crown vic, replaced fuel pump, hot wired headlights drove home checking viability to perform in the Team Infiniti annual  CCCC (crappy car control clinic) next Friday @ Orlando Speedworld.

Saturday

Install transmission in Infiniti, relocate battery and add exterior door bar to CCCC car.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 3

I got my dash out today and the door panels. Next up is the sound deadening so I can get the cage started. I also wrapped the exhaust Manifold. 

thumbnail_file8.jpg

thumbnail_file-12.jpg

What is the benefit of wrapping exhaust headers?

I've always heard they rust out sooner by doing that, from trapping too much heat against the tubes and not letting it escape. 

54 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

What is the benefit of wrapping exhaust headers?

I've always heard they rust out sooner by doing that, from trapping too much heat against the tubes and not letting it escape. 

yeah there are a lot of pro wrappers and no wrappers. I run a wrap on my RX-7 down pipe. We decided since our exhaust (CRX) is in the front of the motor by the rad that we would run the wrap. Just trying to help keep engine bay temps down as much as we can. Thats an cheep manifold so were not worried about it getting rusty. We also don't plan on running the D16 engine very long. Ill be putting in my B20 LSVtec at some point. Since the motor isn't staying long were going to do some "testing" with the wrap. see how well it holds up in racing conditions and what the manifold will look like. My RX is my street "show" car so it doesn't get pushed hard long.  So really the main benefit is keep engine bay temps down. 

Edited by ironworks
  • Thanks 1

Today, not quite the day...

1)To make sure she got to see me today, took wife for breakfast then ditched to shop driving next weekends CCCC car.

2)Ran out of fuel mile+ from home, 6 miles from town(no gauge) Wife already left for work

3)Walk  towards home till finding a discarded bike, got gas can, ride new bike back to car, noting second bike appeared in same dump heap on return trip (weathered but decent his and hers 18 speeds)

4)Finally get to shop, greet waiting/laughing teammate

5)Give bike to coworker who had been talking about getting a 18 speed

6)Poke at CCCC car deciding how to mount push bar, then remove all weatherstrip on RR door, removed RR glass while discussing the merits of a v6 e30

7)Turn on live broadcast

8)Install transmission in racecar

9)Cut up exhaust to redesign only to be met with resistance, stripped a manifold stud, repair stud

10)Blew hydro hose on the seldom used exhaust machine, nice mess, no progress

11)Forge ahead attempting to test drive with half a exhaust system to find the P/S return line damaged from engine install, repair p/s line while live broadcast ends

12)Throw in towel

13)Drive rattle trap, partially open air CCCC car home discovering R/F freshly burnt out headlight 

14) Pick up matching bike for coworker.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

3)Walk  towards home till finding a discarded bike, got gas can, ride new bike back to car, noting second bike appeared in same dump heap on return trip (weathered but decent his and hers 18 speeds)

5)Give bike to coworker who had been talking about getting a 18 speed

14) Pick up matching bike for coworker.

Free is cheap obviously but generally speaking you want minimum 21 speed.  Usually the components on 18's are pretty junky and a very heavy frame, once you step up to 21 speed the components and frame are significantly better.  Also if you have the patience to shop used you can pick up a 26" wheel bike super cheap as people think they are last year's news which they are but parts are still availabe.  A while back mountain bikes changed to 27.5" wheels, then 29" so people are giving away the 26" stuff.  I picked up a used Salsa Moto Rapido custom build (you buy the bare frame only) for $500, he spent $4,700 building it but now figured a 29er was the only bike to have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

Free is cheap obviously but generally speaking you want minimum 21 speed.  Usually the components on 18's are pretty junky and a very heavy frame, once you step up to 21 speed the components and frame are significantly better.  Also if you have the patience to shop used you can pick up a 26" wheel bike super cheap as people think they are last year's news which they are but parts are still availabe.  A while back mountain bikes changed to 27.5" wheels, then 29" so people are giving away the 26" stuff.  I picked up a used Salsa Moto Rapido custom build (you buy the bare frame only) for $500, he spent $4,700 building it but now figured a 29er was the only bike to have.

Huh? 

giphy.gif

ACouple of points regarding bikes...

You can still buy high end 26 inch wheel bikes. They still have their place.

29inch wheel kinda came next.

27.5 is the curr3nt trend for tire size.

Newer bikes are 30 speed plus.  

Even 27 speed stuff is getting harder to find.

If it is an 18 speed bike, chains and rear wheels may be hard to find replacement parts for.