Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Yes compulsory, but apparently picked at random and not the entire top 5. 

 

So now this begs the question, and I'm being serious and not trying to just stir the pot (I promised Mike I would try not to ūüėā) - if indeed a team intentionally monkeys with something post-race to alter dyno numbers, how should that be handled? Did that really happen? I heard it all second hand from a couple different unconnected people and that's what it sounded like.¬†

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We made 14 laps...

first hit ended the day breaking the rear mount...

second hit totaled the chassis...

 

 

  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, pintodave said:

Yes compulsory, but apparently picked at random and not the entire top 5. 

 

So now this begs the question, and I'm being serious and not trying to just stir the pot (I promised Mike I would try not to ūüėā) - if indeed a team intentionally monkeys with something post-race to alter dyno numbers, how should that be handled? Did that really happen? I heard it all second hand from a couple different unconnected people and that's what it sounded like.¬†

We NEED a statement from ChampCar regarding the thought process behind the post race dyno. Why those cars were chosen? What were they looking for? What did they find? What will be done going forward?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to say time of day was late, perhaps everyone was tired, and wanted to go home before dawn, picking the 1st & 2nd  pl sounds logical?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Official ChampCar Statement

 

2018 Marathon Coach Daytona Beach Enduro.

4/8/2018

Post race tech inspection.

 

The plan was to have all podium cars dyno. But with the track contract requiring that we vacate  the garages and gated areas by 1am, the top two teams were chosen to do dyno pulls. 

 

1st place.  KSR Performance and Fabrication

Lexus SC300 

Team 1 was pulled on to the dyno and put down 212hp after 3 pulls. Consistent with what the 2jz puts down for power at the wheels per Internet searches performed by CCES Tech Officials.

 

2nd place. Cone Crusher

Porsche 

The 2nd place car was put on the rollers. The numbers were way below what they should have been for the claimed engine. An inspection was performed and the problem was found with a loose fuse. This was fixed and another two runs were made where the engine made the 180~hp pull. This was within the CCES web search number for the engine. 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Josh_C said:

We made 14 laps...

first hit ended the day breaking the rear mount...

second hit totaled the chassis...

 

 

 

The most suprising thing about this is the fact that there's not just one 40 second long bleep following the second impact.  I'd have yelled every curse word I knew at least twice, and then some more.

 

That is Beyond crappy luck.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Official ChampCar Statement

 

2018 Marathon Coach Daytona Beach Enduro.

4/8/2018

Post race tech inspection.

 

The plan was to have all podium cars dyno. But with the track contract requiring that we vacate  the garages and gated areas by 1am, the top two teams were chosen to do dyno pulls. 

 

1st place.  KSR Performance and Fabrication

Lexus SC300 

Team 1 was pulled on to the dyno and put down 212hp after 3 pulls. Consistent with what the 2jz puts down for power at the wheels per Internet searches performed by CCES Tech Officials.

 

2nd place. Cone Crusher

Porsche 

The 2nd place car was put on the rollers. The numbers were way below what they should have been for the claimed engine. An inspection was performed and the problem was found with a loose fuse. This was fixed and another two runs were made where the engine made the 180~hp pull. This was within the CCES web search number for the engine. 

 

 

 

The 180hp at the wheels on the S2 is perfect. ¬†15% drivetrain loss is what we see on these cars and engine types. ¬†If it were freshly¬†rebuilt within Champcar rules you should be able to get it to 200. ¬†But the problem is these engines don‚Äôt like to be ‚Äúover extended‚ÄĚ bad things start happening. ¬†I think Cone Crushers learned this the hard way last year. ¬†They didn‚Äôt start doing well until they dropped the power down. ¬†This team has been around together for a long time and have been campaigning the 944 for just as long.¬†¬†They have it very well developed and are good consistent drivers, their pit stops are almost always flawless to. ¬†Not to mention they are all really nice guys who would help another competing team in an instant. ¬†

 

Ron

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently, the SAAB in the blue garages that was shorted in the rear end must have had some really secret stuff.  I saw two guys looking at it with a tarp covering the rear hatch area...  so I just wanted to see if they had gutted a lot and that contributed to the amount of damage, so I walked up to the drivers side window...  apparently, someone does not want anyone to see whatever is in their crashed up car..   interesting for a series that is built on self-police rule enforcement.  (and I don't know the first thing about a SAAB)

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Josh_C said:

We made 14 laps...

first hit ended the day breaking the rear mount...

second hit totaled the chassis...

 

 

Sorry to see that, and for the amount of work that lies ahead to prepare a new car.  Frankly this is my biggest fear at Daytona.  Turn 1 is pretty blind and people (like me) are so focused on the high speed entry that they do not look to the corner station.  In fact, this year, I strongly recommended to my starting driver that we use a spotter at the kink to report incidents in turn 1, he politely declined, but for next time we will for sure.  

 

Too bad we have seen this type of incident time and again, maybe we should reconsider the position of the corner station at turn 1...

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pintodave said:

Yes compulsory, but apparently picked at random and not the entire top 5. 

 

So now this begs the question, and I'm being serious and not trying to just stir the pot (I promised Mike I would try not to ūüėā) - if indeed a team intentionally monkeys with something post-race to alter dyno numbers, how should that be handled? Did that really happen? I heard it all second hand from a couple different unconnected people and that's what it sounded like.¬†

There is no rule against getting too much or to little hp from you home porting job so what difference would it make?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, a few blind areas at Daytona. Seen the T1 thing happened  a few different times now. Definitely sucks.

 

The Saab situation was scary too, he must have just lost power when I went by. I was initiating a pass track right exiting the east horseshoe and happened to have line of sight of the Saab so I let off to get single file and thought to myself "geez I hope they see that quick enough and get the yellow out" and then bam, next lap FCY. Same spot that happened in the 24 hours a couple years ago. Scary stuff and glad everyone was alright. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, morganf said:

There is no rule against getting too much or to little hp from you home porting job so what difference would it make?

 

It is a weird situation - you are absolutely right.

 

But if a team can wilfully alter their performance numbers for a dyno pull for a mandatory post race Champcar initiated Dyno pull, what the hell is the point?

 

Edit: the couple versions I heard slightly different from Bill's account. If it was a legit technical issue then cool. But didn't sound like it had 95 hp at the end of the race. Maybe the fuse came loose during the post race celebration between the checkers and impound. 

Edited by pintodave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

Official ChampCar Statement

 

2018 Marathon Coach Daytona Beach Enduro.

4/8/2018

Post race tech inspection.

 

The plan was to have all podium cars dyno. But with the track contract requiring that we vacate  the garages and gated areas by 1am, the top two teams were chosen to do dyno pulls. 

 

1st place.  KSR Performance and Fabrication

Lexus SC300 

Team 1 was pulled on to the dyno and put down 212hp after 3 pulls. Consistent with what the 2jz puts down for power at the wheels per Internet searches performed by CCES Tech Officials.

 

2nd place. Cone Crusher

Porsche 

The 2nd place car was put on the rollers. The numbers were way below what they should have been for the claimed engine. An inspection was performed and the problem was found with a loose fuse. This was fixed and another two runs were made where the engine made the 180~hp pull. This was within the CCES web search number for the engine. 

 

 

Thanks for the explanation. Is this something we should expect to see more of at races?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, pintodave said:

Yup, a few blind areas at Daytona. Seen the T1 thing happened  a few different times now. Definitely sucks.

 

The Saab situation was scary too, he must have just lost power when I went by. I was initiating a pass track right exiting the east horseshoe and happened to have line of sight of the Saab so I let off to get single file and thought to myself "geez I hope they see that quick enough and get the yellow out" and then bam, next lap FCY. Same spot that happened in the 24 hours a couple years ago. Scary stuff and glad everyone was alright. 

Which SAAB was it? I know they brought 3.  Two newer ones and Jerry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second the blind spot in 1.  I guess that is why the miata ran head on into me with no wheel input left or right and no tire smoke trying to stop before impact. 

I will reclip it the next 2 weeks and be ready for the next Race. 

Daytona was an absolute blast.  The car was fast. It was the 1st Race in its 6 race history nothing broke..  well till it made impact. 

Great Race everyone !

IMG_97381.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kentite said:

Which SAAB was it? I know they brought 3.  Two newer ones and Jerry.

 

It was a meduim/dark grey one, looked like a new build. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Justin9 said:

Apparently, the SAAB in the blue garages that was shorted in the rear end must have had some really secret stuff.  I saw two guys looking at it with a tarp covering the rear hatch area...  so I just wanted to see if they had gutted a lot and that contributed to the amount of damage, so I walked up to the drivers side window...  apparently, someone does not want anyone to see whatever is in their crashed up car..   interesting for a series that is built on self-police rule enforcement.  (and I don't know the first thing about a SAAB)

 

The tarp situation would have been interesting in impound had it made it there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DatsunRod said:

I second the blind spot in 1.  I guess that is why the miata ran head on into me with no wheel input left or right and no tire smoke trying to stop before impact. 

I will reclip it the next 2 weeks and be ready for the next Race. 

Daytona was an absolute blast.  The car was fast. It was the 1st Race in its 6 race history nothing broke..  well till it made impact. 

Great Race everyone !

IMG_97381.jpg

Wait, what happened/when?

Was having a good time with you, the supra and even a moment  with dave before dark...

 

Reviewing video now, stay posted

Edited by Team Infiniti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, pintodave said:

 

It was a meduim/dark grey one, looked like a new build. 

Zodiac, been around a couple years.

 

I saw a number of people come over and ask about it, the rbank guys lifted the tarp to show quite a few people who were interested.

Edited by Slugworks Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snake said:

So Cone crushers made up all their penalty laps.   They have an 3.0 S2 engine right?  550 points?

OH SNAP!

 

you love creating drama! However I wondered the same thing :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Zodiac, been around a couple years.

 

I saw a number of people come over and ask about it, the rbank guys lifted the tarp to show quite a few people who were interested.

I was not on the list, drove by with my scooter, saw the wind had exposed the damage, it was quickly recovered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

I was not on the list, drove by with my scooter, saw the wind had exposed the damage, it was quickly recovered.

Might need to get off the scooter and communicate you know, verbally?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was the last caution that ended the race.

I went into 1 on the inside. The new blue EC Mustang was on the outside trying to pass me like it was for the win and kept pinching me and i tried staying off of him. Felt something and next thing I know I was backwards. I think i was hit from behind. Looking for someone with video of the accident.

I saw the group behind me coming and just held the brakes and didn't roll backwards so they could clear me..  I put it in gear and looked up and saw the miata coming at more than the 50% caution pace right at me..  here's the back damage 

20180408_095627.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Might need to get off the scooter and communicate you know, verbally?

Yes, you are right but it was just one of those random moments, the gentleman was not looking chatty, many times crash damage comes with emotion that is best left non verbal.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×