2 hours ago, Josh_C said:

We made 14 laps...

first hit ended the day breaking the rear mount...

second hit totaled the chassis...

Huh - that sure looked like the white KSR SC300.  I was just bi...er complaining about that kind of move in another thread.

That sucks.  Hope you guys get up and running again soon.

Saab issue should have never happened. It was stated at the drivers meeting that if you break in the infield to go drivers left OFF-TRACK. The driver had enough momentum out of International Horseshoe to make it where he was. Wasn’t hard to get off track. I went by it just before a big pack came up on it and thought to myself, “It’s going to be more than just one car when I come back around.” Sure enough was. Sorry to see 3 cars tore up with 2 being write-offs, but that was totally avoidable if Saab would have pulled off-track.

Edited by jakks
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, krispykritter said:

Huh - that sure looked like the white KSR SC300.  I was just bi...er complaining about that kind of move in another thread.

Well it happened to have been #226 so not the front running car. That car is the rental of the team.

Edited by Josh_C

4 minutes ago, krispykritter said:

Remember there are two KSR Lexus's. The car that hit the Miata is the KSR rental Lexus. The car in this video was not the race winner. In fact I drove this car earlier in the day and we had a mechanical issue that put us out of circulation for about 30 minutes.

S.

46 minutes ago, Josh_C said:

Well it happened to have been #226 so not the front running car. That car is the rental of the team.

44 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Remember there are two KSR Lexus's. The car that hit the Miata is the KSR rental Lexus. The car in this video was not the race winner. In fact I drove this car earlier in the day and we had a mechanical issue that put us out of circulation for about 30 minutes.

S.

Ah, my apologies, I don't realize they ran a rental. I thought they ran two team cars.  I ran with the white one for about ten laps during the evening rainy bit until it dried up a bit, then he left me in his dust. That explains why I could keep up!

Also, did anyone happen to get video of our car spinning into the tire wall at the bus stop?  We'd love to see that if it's available.

3 hours ago, Josh_C said:

We made 14 laps...

sorry for the bad luck, what video program is that you are running, thats great footage, results suck, but great footage

We made 14 laps...

That sucks!

Thank you for putting the beeps in.  My 6 and 7 year olds were across the room, heard the beeps and both said "was that a flash flood warning?"  

• Haha 2

We made 14 laps...

I feel your pain. I spun at the same place a few years back and was a sitting duck just like you. MOST guys saw me in time but one didn't. Luckily I was in a Camaro and didn't suffer too much damage. Totaled their car. Sorry the same didn't happen for you guys.

1 hour ago, jakks said:

Saab issue should have never happened. It was stated at the drivers meeting that if you break in the infield to go drivers left OFF-TRACK. The driver had enough momentum out of International Horseshoe to make it where he was. Wasn’t hard to get off track. I went by it just before a big pack came up on it and thought to myself, “It’s going to be more than just one car when I come back around.” Sure enough was. Sorry to see 3 cars tore up with 2 being write-offs, but that was totally avoidable if Saab would have pulled off-track.

If you are part of a multi-car team and you are trying to get a FCY because it works with your pit strategy for your other two cars, maybe you "forget" to pull off?  If you look through the forum threads from prior Daytona races you will see Saabs do stranger things....... and you might even find a team boss saying "that is just good race strategy" (although that stuff may be deleted by now)

Who knows why it didn't pull off, and I certainly hope it wasn't for the reason above because that kind of stuff doesn't belong in an amateur series, but it sucks that two cars went out as a result.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

If you are part of a multi-car team and you are trying to get a FCY because it works with your pit strategy for your other two cars, maybe you "forget" to pull off?  If you look through the forum threads from prior Daytona races you will see Saabs do stranger things....... and you might even find a team boss saying "that is just good race strategy" (although that stuff may be deleted by now)

Who knows why it didn't pull off, and I certainly hope it wasn't for the reason above because that kind of stuff doesn't belong in an amateur series, but it sucks that two cars went out as a result.

I'm fully aware of  prior incidents. I was the first car directly behind the one a few years ago where the "broken" one became a second pace car. I would certainly hope that he didn't pull off track because the other one was on the outside off line at Turn 6 during the same time period, IIRC. Looked like a broken axle. Champ seemed to be content with letting cars sit off line and safe until there were at least 3 cars disabled. Which I'm in a agreement with.

11 minutes ago, jakks said:

Champ seemed to be content with letting cars sit off line and safe until there were at least 3 cars disabled. Which I'm in a agreement with.

I didn't like the fact the bug sat off track for over an hour and a half with driver inside before they pulled him off track when he broke..  30 min is one thing..  Make a time limit possibly ?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, DatsunRod said:

I didn't like the fact the bug sat off track for over an hour and a half with driver inside before they pulled him off track when he broke..  30 min is one thing..  Make a time limit possibly ?

That seriously happened? Wow. If a track won't do hot pulls, you just have to live with a bunch of cautions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An hour before the "canopy storm"

83 yellow Supra, 26 Z thing & @Pintodave

@ caution 12:40 , look whats in the cup holder, ugh, messed up

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Kentite said:

Which SAAB was it? I know they brought 3.  Two newer ones and Jerry.

3 hours ago, pintodave said:

It was a meduim/dark grey one, looked like a new build. 

Darker grey / blue colored one like Dave says....  

3 hours ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Zodiac, been around a couple years.

I saw a number of people come over and ask about it, the rbank guys lifted the tarp to show quite a few people who were interested.

2 hours ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Might need to get off the scooter and communicate you know, verbally?

Well, when I walked over behind two other people, the two other guys were looking in the passenger window, I walked over to driver side, about 2 feet away from car not touching anything, just started to bend down and glance in, and this taller gentlemen who was working on something about 10 feet away walks over grabs the tarp and throw it back over the windshield and the window openings...  he didn't make a comment or really even look me in the eye...  and I understood that whatever was in his busted crapcan he didn't want me to see...  so I didn't see a need to speak to this guy... like i said, I'm no SAAB guy, I just was interested from a damage point of view... 

I guess what gets me is most people are encouraging and friendly to others to about looking and what not, especially since I could have just been a first time ChampCar spectator or something.  It's not like I walked into their trailer, the car sat in the open blue garage for hours Saturday.

Edited by Justin9
Double posted for some reason...
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ttuttlelandscape said:

sorry for the bad luck, what video program is that you are running, thats great footage, results suck, but great footage

We run AIM data logging system. That is there smarty cam which allows you to build your own HUD. sadly for some reason the GPS wasn't picking up the track or it would have shown daytona and where we were on it as well.

1 hour ago, Racer28173 said:

That sucks!

Thank you for putting the beeps in.  My 6 and 7 year olds were across the room, heard the beeps and both said "was that a flash flood warning?"  

Ah its a family friendly series. wasn't going to leave that in there. I actually cut a ton of the language out...

1 hour ago, sonofamitch said:

I feel your pain. I spun at the same place a few years back and was a sitting duck just like you. MOST guys saw me in time but one didn't. Luckily I was in a Camaro and didn't suffer too much damage. Totaled their car. Sorry the same didn't happen for you guys.

Yea we haven't had great luck with that car. We are pretty sure it is cursed so its probably a good thing that we now will build another.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

83 yellowish Supra, 26 Z thing & @Pintodave

Nice video! Dang, Mikey tightened up on his line - apex was not lava for him this time :lol: :lol: (he was in the car right before the first deluge) 

Edit: Off at 17:25 so that was Tony in the car before the 2nd deluge, he owed up to that. Was apparently next to someone and messed up trying to give them room and ended up 4-off

Edited by pintodave
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, DatsunRod said:

I was in the KSR #226 around 10:30 or so for an early second stint. The car was out of pit schedule due to an early contact (or two?). 

Coming out of 3 and headed toward the kink I saw some light drops on the window. There had been some low clouds, so thought it might be the typical Florida sun shower. By the time I hit T5, it was heavier and between 5 and 6 steam started pouring through the hood vent of the Lexus. Realizing this, I took the right hand pull off rather than try to drive a broken car around the apron and possibly blowing the engine in the process. Turns out, an early contact must have broken a plastic shroud loose at at some point it moved back and blocked the radiator. I 'think' it happened at some point during the previous lap. The pressure blew off the overflow cap and spewed water all over the front of the car. 

The point is, Track Safety told me I couldn't take the car back out on track without an overflow cap, and that they wouldn't flat tow me off until there was FCY. So I sat there for over 20-minutes. They did tell me I could get out of the car and one of the safety guys brought me a bottle of cold water. I very much appreciated that and they appreciated the fact that I brought the car off track without created a bigger mess. But losing 20-minutes clearly sucked. 

S. 

5 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

The most suprising thing about this is the fact that there's not just one 40 second long bleep following the second impact.  I'd have yelled every curse word I knew at least twice, and then some more.

That is Beyond crappy luck.

I put a Parental warning on mine as I have been know to get "overly excited" at times while driving.  Anyone watching has been warned.

20180311_121717_001.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

The 26 Z thing ?

That sir is the zmw..  my 280z powered by bmw.. lol

Great video btw!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Snorman said:

The point is, Track Safety told me I couldn't take the car back out on track without an overflow cap, and that they wouldn't flat tow me off until there was FCY. So I sat there for over 20-minutes. They did tell me I could get out of the car and one of the safety guys brought me a bottle of cold water. I very much appreciated that and they appreciated the fact that I brought the car off track without created a bigger mess. But losing 20-minutes clearly sucked. 

S. 

Consider yourself lucky. Our driver lost the clutch and couldn’t get to the left of the track due to race traffic. The safety worker told him to leave all his gear on and stay in the car until a FCY. 

He sat there for 1-1/2 HOURS until they finally towed him off. He actually took a little nap while he waited. We were in P52 at the time.

We dropped down to P94. After replacing the clutch, the second Red flag came out.

Kinda depressing losing all that track time.

Regardless, we finished P87 and still had a great time, and brought the car back in one piece.

Edited by jbbugs
Punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

9 minutes ago, jbbugs said:

Consider yourself lucky. Our driver lost the clutch and couldn’t get to the left of the track due to race traffic. The safety worker told him to leave all his gear on and stay in the car until a FCY. 

He sat there for 1-1/2 HOURS until they finally towed him off. He actually took a little nap while he waited. We were in P52 at the time.

We dropped down to P94. After replacing the clutch, the second Red flag came out.

Kinda depressing losing all that track time.

Regardless, we finished P87 and still had a great time, and brought the car back in one piece.

As a car owner, I would be livid.

Thats' almost a full stint of track time lost!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

I guess if they write a no phones in the car rule we now know who to blame...

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Justin9 said:

I guess if they write a no phones in the car rule we now know who to blame...

Seems so obvious that you would not need to write a rule, but I guess that is why those little Silica gel packages say "DO NOT EAT".

• Like 1

You can trust it was not on purpose, noticed during caution the drink was hard to get in cup holder, found it while fishing around, it was disappointing to find, already broken, it did not take to the drink moisture and vibration well.

• Like 2