Falcon RT615+'s compared to RE71's

Picked up a set of RE71's to try out Saturday at Watkins Glenn on Stella (VW Jetta). Anyone have experience running both of these tires, we will run the Falkons Sunday to compare the two. Would like to know if the same alignment (camber) works for both tires and if the RE71 is happier with lower or higher pressures than the Falkon's. Also, I have read that we should expect higher wear rates with the RE71's. Thanks

31166932_1872554246098077_8372662697690398720_n.jpg

Have run both on same car (though they were different sizes). Seemed to like the same alignment, RE71R liked a few pounds lower pressure (but they were bigger).

RE71R wore way faster than any other tire we ever raced or tested, but it sticks like glue.

Enjoy the 71Rs, you'll likely have your best laps in the car on them unless you run R comps in another event.

• Like 1

The bridgestones will have much more grip.  This means more body roll.  So you loose camber.  You also roll over the shoulder of the tire more, which may mean you need more tire pressure.  The carcass is plenty stiff, so you dont need more air to support the tire if you have enough camber.

Be prepared for more brake pad wear too because of the increased grip.

This is very car dependent. The 71's can't be slid like some of the other tire compounds, but you will find better lap times because they stick.  On a heavy car, they just won't last so I won't run them anymore.  The new RT615K+ is an improvement of the original RT615K, the original compound would go away and you had to slow down to let them cool off, but the new compound doesn't seem to do that.

4 minutes ago, Burningham said:

This is very car dependent. The 71's can't be slid like some of the other tire compounds, but you will find better lap times because they stick.  On a heavy car, they just won't last so I won't run them anymore.  The new RT615K+ is an improvement of the original RT615K, the original compound would go away and you had to slow down to let them cool off, but the new compound doesn't seem to do that.

So the K+ isn't an autocross compound?

• 1 month later...
  • Technical Advisory Committee

I run the 615k+ on my HPDE e30, 205/50/15 and they are awesome. 

I was a FIRM believer in the 615 for endurance racing. Got us our string of 3 2nd places last year.  If they made a 245 version I would still be using them.

Helped a team that ran 615k+ on 230slk. Wear was really good, they got 2 races to a set. Grip was comparable to the field, with 20 mins of driving time (with full power) i got within 1 or 2 secs of fastest times of leaders (but i was in dark). So it could be made to run well. 

If i had to gamble i would guess rs4 to be a slight improvement at more cost.

22 hours ago, pintodave said:

Any feedback on the zIII's vs zII's vs 615's?

ZII and ZIII are similar.  Wouldn't know the difference unless testing them back to back.

Overall speed between the 615 and the ZIII seemed comparable judging fast lap time difference between running the kink vs horseshoe.  That's where similarities end.  The ideal lap for each tire likely wouldn't very much, but there were many more laps close to the fastest lap with the ZIII.  This was true for all drivers.

ZIII's are more forgiving to pressure changes, over driving, under driving, and just general abuse.  They were more predictable, and easier to find the grip limit, even if actual grip wasn't much different.

After 18+ hours of dry racing, the ZIII's look only slightly more worn than the falcon's that only ran 9 hours in the dry, and 7 in the wet......

The Falcons have been added to the list of tires I won't buy unless they are super cheap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 10:03 PM, SonsOfIrony said:

ZII and ZIII are similar.  Wouldn't know the difference unless testing them back to back.

Overall speed between the 615 and the ZIII seemed comparable judging fast lap time difference between running the kink vs horseshoe.  That's where similarities end.  The ideal lap for each tire likely wouldn't very much, but there were many more laps close to the fastest lap with the ZIII.  This was true for all drivers.

ZIII's are more forgiving to pressure changes, over driving, under driving, and just general abuse.  They were more predictable, and easier to find the grip limit, even if actual grip wasn't much different.

After 18+ hours of dry racing, the ZIII's look only slightly more worn than the falcon's that only ran 9 hours in the dry, and 7 in the wet......

The Falcons have been added to the list of tires I won't buy unless they are super cheap.

Are you saying the ZIII last longer then the ZIIwith similar grip? What weight and car?

Thanks for any info, I was about to go Maxxis VR1 but also want to try the ZIII.

Ross

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:46 PM, RC413 said:

Are you saying the ZIII last longer then the ZIIwith similar grip? What weight and car?

Thanks for any info, I was about to go Maxxis VR1 but also want to try the ZIII.

Ross

2500 lb S13 240SX.

I cant speak for the wear between the ZII and ZIII as it was colder and slower the last time we ran the old ones, but the wear of the ZIII seemed much better vs the RT615s or the VR1's.

I got what I expected out of the Falcons, but had high hopes for the VR1s and was let down.  Neither was well suited to our car/driving styles

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...