Tire Temps (what's too hot?)

wvumtnbkr

Anybody have any data on what is too hot for tire temps on a Champcar?  245 40 15 RS4 on a 9 inch wheel.  2400 # RWD car.

I usually see between 120 and 150 on my car as the high temp using a tire pyrometer (probe type).

At what temp do you get concerned?

I always heard above 160 is starting to push it.  What say you folks?

Thanks!

Rob R.

32 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Anybody have any data on what is too hot for tire temps on a Champcar?  245 40 15 RS4 on a 9 inch wheel.  2400 # RWD car.

I usually see between 120 and 150 on my car as the high temp using a tire pyrometer (probe type).

Thanks!

Rob R.

Easy to fix that,  just slow down.  Sorry just had to say it.

We can try to let you know after we test on Friday but it will be a lighter car by a few hundred pounds. 

5 hours ago, 55mini said:

Easy to fix that,  just slow down.  Sorry just had to say it.

We can try to let you know after we test on Friday but it will be a lighter car by a few hundred pounds.  

Finally get your drivers on a diet?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Thanks!

Rob R.

Are those  temps across the tread on 1 tyre ?    120 -150  is cool.  What is your cold tyre pressure and hot pressure?

3 minutes ago, DEE DEE said:

Are those  temps across the tread on 1 tyre ?    120 -150  is cool.  What is your cold tyre pressure and hot pressure?

I only gave some info...  MY tire temps are even across the tread.  I do a good bit of testing.  Within 7 degrees across the tire.  The 120 would be if the car isn't being pushed on a cold day.  150 or just a smidge higher is aggressive driver on a hot day.

Our starting pressures are as low as 25 psi with a hot pressure of 33 to 36.  Aim of 34.

I am asking because during a recent test on another car we saw considerably hotter than 160 f.

I was concerned about temps...

11 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I only gave some info...  MY tire temps are even across the tread.  I do a good bit of testing.  Within 7 degrees across the tire.  The 120 would be if the car isn't being pushed on a cold day.  150 or just a smidge higher is aggressive driver on a hot day.

Our starting pressures are as low as 25 psi with a hot pressure of 33 to 36.  Aim of 34.

I am asking because during a recent test on another car we saw considerably hotter than 160 f.

I was concerned about temps...

I go by graining and rubber colour. If it's blue it was too hot.

image.png.2f62c3a9452f10ae6a8481836815e21b.png

This was also a little too hot; note the large graining:

image.png.405d78ee5a7e8da2065f46cbb02f7565.png

Slicks typically run best between 160 and 200 degrees but that's for sprint racing. Our tire temps are usually in the 130-150 range for endurance racing depending on who's driving.

Edited by mender
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1