DuncanDana

RVA Graphics & Wraps ChampCar National Cahmpionship Final Results

1 hour ago, zack_280 said:

I cut out early due to broken racecar.  Anyone know which cars got dyno'd and what were the numbers?

I was listening to the broadcast but don't remember the numbers. I would try the end of the video for the race as Bill Strong was reporting on it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First race with the new car went well minus the fact that our main fuel tank at the shop got filled with farming diesel. The car got 10 gallons of it on practice on Friday. Ended up ruining our day on Saturday since overnight it destroyed the fuel filter and pump so we only got 4hrs in on Saturday. Ran great no issues on Sunday. Made up 25 spots. Few things we need to do to the car like insulate the Trans tunnel since I am sitting at work with a burn on my thigh from the seat getting hot from the heat radiating off of it.

TL;DR

Our fault car didn't start. Wasn't the first caution of the race like Daytona. Car is in one piece and will race again.

Edited by Josh_C

25 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

Supra did 209hp/200tq I though.

RVA Dyno was strong.  170hp in a 2300lb car is pretty legit.  

Congrats to RVA on the Chumpionship!  

Was bummed to see Burningham have issues that took them out.  War of attrition for sure

Thanks, but probably not as bummed as we were.  Two very strange failures that had nothing to do with the heat took us out of the running and then the final nail being the in-tank fuel pump failure.  The ignition wire spade coming off the kill switch was the most head scratching thing of the entire weekend.  It went right back on with a lot of tension so why the hell does it come off?  Just wasn't our day, but we held the lead all night Saturday night!!!!  Chris and I bailed to try to make it home before the end of the day since it was Father's day and Wyatt had an 8 hour drive and back to work today so Casey had to accept our trophy for tragic loser.  Thanks to the Champ staff for that, sorry all of us weren't there to accept it, it is awesome.  Exceptional weekend, the competition was fierce.  I fought with the R Bank Saab for an hour, that is some of the best racing I have ever been involved in, I went to talk to Noel (I think I got the name right) and he was as pumped as I was about it.  Had a good battle going with Scott in the Cone Crusher car then like an idiot I spun in front of him coming out of 10, glad I didn't collect him in that move.  On and on, good racing both days.  

The barbeque after Saturday's leg of the race was a very good idea.  Gave us a chance to meet folks we had not met before.  I guess I better finish and go to work, dammit.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Look at the pdf

Okay.

How did the points shake out?

Wasnt this supposed to be points and then the winner wasnt necessarily the winner due to points?

That was the entire reason we didnt show up.

How many points did they have going in?  How about their competition?  Not everybody started this race with 2 points.

Thanks!

Rob R.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Okay.

How did the points shake out?

Wasnt this supposed to be points and then the winner wasnt necessarily the winner due to points?

That was the entire reason we didnt show up.

How many points did they have going in?  How about their competition?  Not everybody started this race with 2 points.

Thanks!

Rob R.

RVA

Premium Dudes

9 4 Supra

those were the top 3 after points were calculated. 

EDIT:  I think I got that wrong - SORRY.  Ludicrous passed Premium at the end so it should be 

RVA

9 4 Supra

Premium Dudes

Edited by Racer28173
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Burningham said:

Thanks, but probably not as bummed as we were. 

I dunno, I spilled some beer while I was thinking about it...I was pretty sad.

WUDU always follows you guys, we were following and cheering all weekend.

Edited by Jab31169
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mopar 63 said:

We have always allowed any gear ratio that was an option for your year make and model.

Phil McKinney 

Can you please inform us as to what other oem parts this line of thinking applies to.  

Edited by Snake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

I dunno, I spilled some beer while I was thinking about it...I was pretty sad.

WUDU always follows you guys, we were following and cheering all weekend.

Pour one out for your homies 🍻

It was pretty upsetting, I started 1st behind the pace car, we had a few laps of fuel left in the car which I was going to use to build a nice gap to RVA. Which was going swimmingly until a half shaft somehow randomly popped out under braking. 

I drove again later and couldn't repeat it.

Another race to add to my incredibly long list of the car breaking out of 1st place. Lol

• Sad 3

26 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

RVA

Premium Dudes

9 4 Supra

those were the top 3 after points were calculated. 

Thanks!

Can we see the calculations?

9 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Thanks!

I’m not an official. It isn’t hard to calculate.  Just look at the points posted in the original race thread.  RVA started with 3.  Premium with 2.  Supra with 4.   And then add the points from the race which is their finishing position.  

2017-ChampCar-National-Championship-Qualifiers.pdf

pdf;charset=UTF-8&X-Amz-Signature=219d53

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Thanks!

Or (novel thought) you could open the .pdf that was sent out prior to the race that showed everyone's point totals, then add their finishing position from yesterday to it, and you have the answer! :P

1+2+1=4, etc.  

it's not like it's trig or anything. And as a bonus, you don't even have to "carry the one" in the equations to figure out the first few places...

P.s. You won't even have to use your toes for this one. 😀

ok, I'm done being a smartass now...

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

As my dad used to say, you are never DONE being a smartass, you have merely discontinued the symptoms!!   🤣

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, dimitri.mariutto said:

"We have always allowed any gear ratio that was an option for your year make and model." Phil McKinney 

Read that again, the operative words are year, make and model [not transmission type].

I think this is a discussion for a different section of the forum, but I will add that in my opinion a 318is is a different model when compared to a 325is as evdeinced in the VPI points list. So if the 4.10 was only offered on the 318is it could be an issue. Wasn’t this a BMW loophole that was supposed to be closed years ago?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Kentite said:

Wasn’t this a BMW loophole that was supposed to be closed years ago?

Yes and no.  It was a clarification in how the rule applies to the E30 (usually referring to the 325, but it may also apply to the 318, I'm not sure).  The 4.10 was an option on the 325 and standard on the M3.  The end result is that E30 325s can run the 4.10 for 0 additional points since it was available for that model.  

5 minutes ago, Kentite said:

So if the 4.10 was only offered on the 318is it could be an issue. Wasn’t this a BMW loophole that was supposed to be closed years ago?

It was available on the 325i. Doing a part cross-reference on RealOEM says the 4.10 was available on a 325i auto and manual.

Untitled.jpg

20 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

Or (novel thought) you could open the .pdf that was sent out prior to the race that showed everyone's point totals, then add their finishing position from yesterday to it, and you have the answer! :P

1+2+1=4, etc.  

it's not like it's trig or anything. And as a bonus, you don't even have to "carry the one" in the equations to figure out the first few places...

P.s. You won't even have to use your toes for this one. 😀

ok, I'm done being a smartass now...

Or, the champcar officials that put the spreadsheet together could just post it...

Just now, wvumtnbkr said:

Or, the champcar officials that put the spreadsheet together could just post it...

Huggins earned 0 pts for the race and started with 3, so they should be the Champions since they ended the season with fewer points than RVA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, CabotTeg118 said:

It was available on the 325i. Doing a part cross-reference on RealOEM says the 4.10 was available on a 325i auto and manual.

Untitled.jpg

Thanks. I don’t have a dog in this fight but I’m always amused by the ongoing BMW debate. This case should justify an official statement from ChampCar. Something that once and for all clarifies how this situation will be handled. 

6 minutes ago, zack_280 said:

Huggins earned 0 pts for the race and started with 3, so they should be the Champions since they ended the season with fewer points than RVA.

We playing golf here?

19 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I'm sure they're going to roll out the results with a story soon. But yes, it would be nice to see something official posted as soon as the race was over.

I did print the prerace totals and added the finishing positions.

It was surprising that only 3 teams finished under 10 points total.

The internet police here at work won't let me post my chart, but here's the first few. (first 2 numbers are best previous finish, 3rd # is yesterday's finishing position.

RVA = 1+2+1 = 4

Premium Dudes = 1+1+4 =6

Nine Four Toy = 1+3+2 = 6

GWR = 1+2+7 = 10

Edited by mcoppola

4 minutes ago, Kentite said:

Thanks. I don’t have a dog in this fight but I’m always amused by the ongoing BMW debate. This case should justify an official statement from ChampCar. Something that once and for all clarifies how this situation will be handled. 

Good luck with that. Phil's post said it was "allowed." He didn't say if points were assigned for it or not.

Seems like nothing is ever clear as far as rule interpretations go.

The more we ask, the more cloudy things get.

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 1

Can't wait for the videos to start appearing. I heard it was very hot and humid. I think Bill Strong melted into a puddle. The only thing remaining was his voice.