Sign in to follow this  
Rapido

2018 ChampCar Sim Series - European Vacation

Given the summer lull in the Sim Series calendar, we at HJ Motorsport (or Team Hugh Jass, as you may know us) decided it was time for a sojourn across the pond for a mini-series open to everyone. Although we're a North American series, it's nice to pack the kids into a rental Austin Maxi and tour the continent, soaking in the historic motorsport venues encountered along the way. For the next 4 Thursdays, we will host a race at 4 historic European venues. These will be similar format to the regular championship rounds, although sessions will be shorter (2 hours, starting 8pm ET) and only one class (the lovely 2016 MX-5). 

I will post the session details in this thread each week, and hope to see a lot of new and old faces out there for some racing fun!

Schedule

6/21: Brands Hatch GP

6/28: Spa Francorchamps

7/5: Nordschleife

7/12: Monza GP

Prize

Although this is not associated with the "official" ChampCar Sim Series, and points are separate, there will be a small prize on offer to encourage participation. The highest scoring, non-HJ, driver across all 4 rounds will win a very exclusive Team Hugh Jass T-shirt. This will be available for collection at the ChampCar 24h of VIR, and is sure to prove the envy of your friends, co-workers, and family.

Wunderbar!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

First round will be at the historic Brands Hatch GP circuit, scene of many great F1 and BTCC battles over the years. It's a very fun track, perfectly suited to the MX-5. Session will start at 8pm ET, with the race start at 9:20pm. There will be a pit-stop required, same as the championship races. Any questions, let me know!

Session Details

• Date: Thursday, 21-June-2018
  • Practice Start: 8:00pm EDT
  • Qualifying Start: 9:10pm EDT (single qualifier, 4 flying laps)
  • Race Start: 9:20pm EDT
  • Cars: 2016 Global Mazda Cup
  • Track: Brands Hatch GP
  • Weather: iRacing Baseline (Late Afternoon, Partly Cloudy, 78°F, 46% humidity)
  • Setup: Fixed, Baseline with reduced fuel

Useful Links

2018 ChampCar Sim Series schedule

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

Discord Server

Race tonight, no license requirements, a fast repair, and the first step towards a coveted HJ t-shirt. What's not to enjoy?

• Like 1

Sweet.  I'll see if I can get in tonight.  Gotta talk the wife into putting the kid to bed.

Just home from work, so I'll join when I've eaten dinner. Also, I might have misjudged the fuel load in the fixed setup, so possibly no forced pit stop tonight!

I see now you updated the deal about the pit stop an hour ago.  The way I read the first post about this, I thought it was a forced at least one pit stop even though you didn't need the fuel.   still in the running for this t-shirt though...

Taking our European vacation across the Channel, and it's a short hop to the Ardennes where we find the historic Spa circuit. Fast, flowing, and with a fairly overpowered draft effect in these slower cars, this should be a close race throughout the pack.

Session Details

• Date: Thursday, 28-June-2018
  • Practice Start: 8:00pm EDT
  • Qualifying Start: 9:10pm EDT (single qualifier, 2 flying laps)
  • Track: Spa-Francorchamps - Classic Pits
  • Weather: iRacing Baseline (Late Afternoon, Partly Cloudy, 76°F, 28% humidity)
  • Setup: Fixed, Baseline with reduced fuel (4.3g)

Useful Links

Discord Server

• Like 1

Hey @Boyd2241 , sorry for the miscommunication on the pit stop at the last race. For future reference, in any of these CC league races we will only enforce pit stop requirements with limited fuel, never just word of mouth. I fixed it in the setup for the race at Spa so should be a straight fight to the flag. Was a fun battle at Brands, and congrats on the result, you're still the frontrunner for the coveted HJ t-shirt.

TEAM WUDU bringing up the rear!!  Good fun guys!!  Me and Gordo had a great time in the back of the pack learning the track and goofing off mostly trying to bump draft each other.  See ya guys next week!

• Like 2

Thanks for coming out! Was a fun race throughout, top 3 finished under 1s apart. Nordschleife next week, that's always fun!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jab31169 said:

TEAM WUDU bringing up the rear!!  Good fun guys!!  Me and Gordo had a great time in the back of the pack learning the track and goofing off mostly trying to bump draft each other.  See ya guys next week!

It didn't help that we both took full fuel in the pit stop, either!! Noobs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hope everyone had a fun 4th of July yesterday. After running back to the US to celebrate hotdogs and fireworks, we're back in Europe tonight to take on the most famous historic racetrack in the world - the Nurburgring Nordschleife. Please note that there's not a separate practice session tonight, given the length of the track any laps before the race will also count as "qualifying". If this is a new track to you, you're in for a treat!

Session Details

• Date: Thursday, 05-July-2018
  • Qualifying Start: 8:00pm EDT (single qualifier, 2 flying laps)
  • Track: Nordschleife - Industriefahrten

Useful Links

Discord Server

Final round of our mini-vacation tonight as we head south of the Alps to Monza. Unfortunately we're staying off the historic banking this time, but the chicanes of the GP circuit should prove to be the difference in what is often a draft-driven race.

Currently James Harris is leading in the race for the coveted HJ T-shirt, but anything could happen tonight.

Session Details

• Date: Thursday, 12-July-2018
  • Qualifying Start: 8:00pm EDT (single qualifier, 2 flying laps)
  • Track: Monza GP

Useful Links

Discord Server