We run a GoPro Hero 3 Silver+

Worked great on Saturday. Perfect video, perfect sound.

I downloaded Sunday's video and there is no sound at all.

I just tested it in my basement, then uploaded that video, and it DOES have sound.

Help? Why doesn't Sunday have sound?

I've had that issue before as well, also on a Hero 3 Silver+.  Another time I had a situation where the sound and video were not in sync, by roughly 1 second.  I didn't do anything to try to fix it, but it's been over a year since it's done it and it hasn't happened again.

Not really helping you here, but you can do this to make the video record for a long time:

Drill a hole in the side of your camera case where the power plug on the camera is

Get a long charging cord for the camera

Get a USB plug that goes into a cigarette lighter

Mount the camera and plug everything in, so the camera is hard powered

Make sure you have a big memory card to hold all of the video

Take a bunch of cool enduro videos(just not at night, you can't see anything)

45 minutes ago, CoachMK21 said:

I've had that issue before as well, also on a Hero 3 Silver+.  Another time I had a situation where the sound and video were not in sync, by roughly 1 second.  I didn't do anything to try to fix it, but it's been over a year since it's done it and it hasn't happened again.

If you make sure to format the card prior to starting the recording (it will erase all of your previous videos) we have found that eliminates and sound lag.

13 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

If you make sure to format the card prior to starting the recording (it will erase all of your previous videos) we have found that eliminates and sound lag.

I may have done this, but just not remember.  We also have a power cord for the GoPro that we use with a 128gb card.  However, I have the skeleton case, that I didn't need to drill any holes in, with an open back.  It helps reduce the wind noise too.

May sure you adhere to the amp charge max rate, or you might fry your GoPro Hero 4 Black.  Ask me how I know.

44 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

I did not erase the Saturday videos before recording Sunday on the same card... perhaps that is somehow an issue? (Our card holds about 18 hours of 1080 video iirc)

39 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I did not erase the Saturday videos before recording Sunday on the same card... perhaps that is somehow an issue? (Our card holds about 18 hours of 1080 video iirc)

What size card?

I got our hero 3(white?) to video about 17 hrs using low res & 64gb chip (says unsupported but ignore the timer reading 9:59, it keeps going)

Edited by Team Infiniti

53 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I had some issues with the HERO4 using 128GB SD Cards.  Every once in a while we'd lose a file.  I don't think we had the sound issue you mentioned and I have no idea if it was related to the larger SD card.  Luckily it got stolen along with all of my radios.  Now I've got a Hero6.  Noticeably better video, but it stops charging sometimes when we cycle the kill switch and/or restart the car during a stop.  The good news is that you can use up to a 256GB card.  So I can get a full 16hr race on a single card at 1080P30.  So I guess the moral of the story is: Don't expect useful information from things I post on the forums.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, zack_280 said:

I had some issues with the HERO4 using 128GB SD Cards.  Every once in a while we'd lose a file.  I don't think we had the sound issue you mentioned and I have no idea if it was related to the larger SD card.  Luckily it got stolen along with all of my radios.  Now I've got a Hero6.  Noticeably better video, but it stops charging sometimes when we cycle the kill switch and/or restart the car during a stop.  The good news is that you can use up to a 256GB card.  So I can get a full 16hr race on a single card at 1080P30.  So I guess the moral of the story is: Don't expect useful information from things I post on the forums.

Kill switch is kicking it with a voltage spike.  Try putting a Mophie between the power source and the camera.  That will keep the camera power clean.  Just make sure it is a model that outputs voltage WHILE it simultaneously charges.  Not all of them do that.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I was using a different charger for this day... Regular charger on Saturday, Sunday I had to use a different one and in order to get this plug to fit through the side of the case I had to carve out the opening of the hole that the plug goes through.. do you think it is possible that this new plug fit so tightly into the charger hole that it completely muffled the sound (which, in this theory, comes through the hole in the side of the case)?  

Testing the camera with no case right now and it records sound perfectly. I'll see if I can replicate the results with the two chargers.

Edited by enginerd

On 7/4/2018 at 12:25 AM, enginerd said:

So, I was using a different charger for this day... Regular charger on Saturday, Sunday I had to use a different one and in order to get this plug to fit through the side of the case I had to carve out the opening of the hole that the plug goes through.. do you think it is possible that this new plug fit so tightly into the charger hole that it completely muffled the sound (which, in this theory, comes through the hole in the side of the case)?  

Testing the camera with no case right now and it records sound perfectly. I'll see if I can replicate the results with the two chargers.

The GoPro will still record sound even it you're using the original case that has no holes in it.  This case usually produces a lot of wind noise.

• Thanks 1