Rx7 subframe swappers-please help

Alex3000

Please help I'm losing my mind, and I can't seem to find any real info.

I need a brake line that will connect Second gen 4-piston rx7 brakes to the original '84 gsl-se first gen hard lines.

I bought these from summit, which are seriously the only 10mm x 1.0 inverted flare brake lines I can find on planet earth. They seemed like the answer but after trying to install them they don't seat in the caliper. After some searching these brake line are IF ends but -3AN lines.... but that should be 3/16 line right?

I can't keep guessing and I'm teetering on the edge here people.  I'm going to lose it. I'm trying to test the car next weekend and I am going to lose my mind.

50 minutes ago, Alex3000 said:

Please help I'm losing my mind, and I can't seem to find any real info.

I need a brake line that will connect Second gen 4-piston rx7 brakes to the original '84 gsl-se first gen hard lines.

I bought these from summit, which are seriously the only 10mm x 1.0 inverted flare brake lines I can find on planet earth. They seemed like the answer but after trying to install them they don't seat in the caliper. After some searching these brake line are IF ends but -3AN lines.... but that should be 3/16 line right?

I can't keep guessing and I'm teetering on the edge here people.  I'm going to lose it. I'm trying to test the car next weekend and I am going to lose my mind.

Don't know rx7s, but know plumbing....

You can exchange 3/16 metric fittings for 3\16 english fittings and just re flare the end. For example you could make your 3/16 hardline the more common english inverted flare fittings. 

You could then buy an inverted flare to -3 an fitting. 

Most of the brake world uses English inverted flare, metric fittings inverted flare, npt (pipe thread) or an (usually -3, which is 3/16 hose size). You need adapters to cross from one type to another, or hardline can be flared to accept any of these with the right flare tool. An flare and inverted are different tools. 

I would personally adapt each end to an and then use easier to find -3 on each end soft line. Unless of course you can make an off the self cheap hose work. Or use the hose for gen 2 rx7 and using hard line and a clamp extend and clamp down the extension of the hardline to hook up to softline in the desired location. 

Edited by Black Magic

23 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

You can exchange 3/16 metric fittings for 3\16 english fittings and just re flare the end. For example you could make your 3/16 hardline the more common english inverted flare fittings. 

Thanks for the reply black magic.  If I understand correctly: There are actually THREE fitting specs I need to know.

1. Thread pitch: 10mm x1.0

2. Fitting type: Inverted flare

3. Metric vs English?

So my issue is I thought there were only TWO specs: Thread pitch and Type.

I am guessing then that my thread pitch and flare type match but my rx-7 caliper is likely Metric and my brake lines are likely English (Standard?)

What if I stuffed an oil rag in the fuel filler neck, lit the end on fire, and then laughed maniacally? I think that might solve my fittings issue.

5 minutes ago, Alex3000 said:

Thanks for the reply black magic.  If I understand correctly: There are actually THREE fitting specs I need to know.

1. Thread pitch: 10mm x1.0

2. Fitting type: Inverted flare

3. Metric vs English?

So my issue is I thought there were only TWO specs: Thread pitch and Type.

I am guessing then that my thread pitch and flare type match but my rx-7 caliper is likely Metric and my brake lines are likely English (Standard?)

What if I stuffed an oil rag in the fuel filler neck, lit the end on fire, and then laughed maniacally? I think that might solve my fittings issue.

What i said the wrong way was you can make the hardline adapt to almost anything. Concentrate on getting the end on the caliper figured out.

If in severe doubt i would use stock gen 2 rx7 softlines and extend\adapt the car hardlines to fit the softline. Make sure it has enough length to move with wheels, steer and not hit wheel.

Edited by Black Magic

When I was going through this I worked through a guy that did lines for @Crank Yankers Racing.  FB on one end, FC/FD on the other.  They attach to the factory hard line on the second gen struts and to the factory hard line on the FB chassis.  I can't recall the specs right now but I may have the work order at home.  I got an extra made since it's not an off the shelf part.

Not quite. The calipers I bought did not have the hard lines that go from caliper to strut.  So I am trying to run one single SS line from caliper to hard line in the fender.

That said, this now doesn't seem like the easy solution I thought.  If I just use a flare tool to make IF hard lines with 10mm x 1.0 fittings maybe that's easier.  

Thanks for all the help, I am really struggling to wrap my brain around all this. 

3 minutes ago, bbaker480 said:

When I was going through this I worked through a guy that did lines for @Crank Yankers Racing.  FB on one end, FC/FD on the other.  They attach to the factory hard line on the second gen struts and to the factory hard line on the FB chassis.  I can't recall the specs right now but I may have the work order at home.  I got an extra made since it's not an off the shelf part.

Seriously that would be amazingly helpful.  

I need to find those small hard lines for sale but I can't find them on any autoparts site.  They don't seem to count them as hard line and also not as brake hose... 

Also, be careful...  The early 1st gen cars had a different thread pitch than later gen cars.

The strut to caliper hardline is still available from mazda.

Once you have that line, get an adapter softline from the caliper hardline to the "chassis" hardline.

you do not want the softline between caliper and strut.  It can then move and touch any number of things throughout the wheel travel.

Just now, Alex3000 said:

I need to find those small hard lines for sale but I can't find them on any autoparts site.  They don't seem to count them as hard line and also not as brake hose... 

The hard lines on mine were from Mazda.  Rob had a few laying around but I know they're available from Atkins, Mazdatrix, and from the dealer:

86-92 Rx7 Front Right Brake Caliper Pipe (FB05-43-710B)

86-92 Rx7 Front Left Brake Caliper Pipe (FB05-43-720B)

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, Alex3000 said:

Call this guy when @bbaker480 gets you the details. He can make it on the spot and ship it. This guy is amazing and does awesome work. Loves talking about racing whenever I go in getting brake stuff. 

Screenshot_20180702-134420_Chrome.jpg

41 minutes ago, bbaker480 said:

The hard lines on mine were from Mazda.  Rob had a few laying around but I know they're available from Atkins, Mazdatrix, and from the dealer:

86-92 Rx7 Front Right Brake Caliper Pipe (FB05-43-710B)

86-92 Rx7 Front Left Brake Caliper Pipe (FB05-43-720B)

Just put in order to Atkins. Now just need to source late model FB (84 gsl-se) hard line to second gen caliper hard line, brake hose.

2 minutes ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

Call this guy when @bbaker480 gets you the details. He can make it on the spot and ship it. This guy is amazing and does awesome work. Loves talking about racing whenever I go in getting brake stuff. 

Screenshot_20180702-134420_Chrome.jpg

Amazing.  I am def calling this guy.  Just need to get brake hose specs now.

1 hour ago, Alex3000 said:

Wait... I am an idiot.  I think I can just use stock 2nd gen hoses now that I will have the caliper hard lines.  That makes things super easy.

What hard lines do you have at the chassis end?  That's where the SA has the different threads.  

14 hours ago, bbaker480 said:

What hard lines do you have at the chassis end?  That's where the SA has the different threads.  

It's an '84 GSL-SE, which is FB not SA. So they are 10mmx1.0 IF which is the same as FC. 

As a side note, I thought switching to FC stuff would make aftermarket parts easier to find. Doesn't seem to be the case really.

17 minutes ago, Alex3000 said:

It's an '84 GSL-SE, which is FB not SA. So they are 10mmx1.0 IF which is the same as FC. 

As a side note, I thought switching to FC stuff would make aftermarket parts easier to find. Doesn't seem to be the case really.

I'd just run stock rubber FC lines in that case and call it good.  

I learned just how hard finding ANY RX-7 parts can be this weekend.  I ran to Youngstown from Nelson Ledges to scavange a TPS from an engine they had listed at the auto wreckers, turns out that car had been on the lot for 2000+ days and didn't actually exist.  I'm seriously considering buying a couple $200 FC's when they pop up on Craigslist, taking what I want, and scrapping the rest.

45 minutes ago, bbaker480 said:

I'd just run stock rubber FC lines in that case and call it good.  

I learned just how hard finding ANY RX-7 parts can be this weekend.  I ran to Youngstown from Nelson Ledges to scavange a TPS from an engine they had listed at the auto wreckers, turns out that car had been on the lot for 2000+ days and didn't actually exist.  I'm seriously considering buying a couple $200 FC's when they pop up on Craigslist, taking what I want, and scrapping the rest.

The support group meets in the rec center basement on tuesday nights.

The first step is admitting you own an rx-7.

• Like 1

I am currently megasquirting and converting to all GM sensors.

Do you know how much of my life is spent researching what thread pitch my rx7 sensors are... I literally am going insane.  This whole brake caliper fiasco is putting me over the edge.

1 hour ago, jmabarone said:

I just found a craigslist ad for 5 FBs (in various states of disrepair) and a shop full of parts for $1600.  Unfortunately, I do not have $1600 lying around.  :( 

I might.  Where?